Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which steering wheel?
Momo 07
54.24%
Momo Protipo
33.90%
Something completely different (post suggestions)
11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Which Momo steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 AM
P356GT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

Would you be kind to show us all your nice antisteal hub with the 07
I saw it was like 140£ to have it shipped to Schweden and like to see what I might get before :-)
Thx

Per

I found a old picture of your.....so you still need the MOMO hub plus the quick release unit?
Attached Images  

Last edited by P356GT; 02-26-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob - were you able to get the horn to work ok with the quick release hub?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,

Yes you will still need the hub and the horn does still work.
The hub + the quick release does move the wheel a little too far tho so I modified the hub to shorten it.

Basically when you remove the rubber surround from the momo hub, the back plate (which has the splined key to fit the steering shaft) and the face plate (that the steering wheel bolts too) are separated by a simple collapsible crush structure. All I did was cut out this structure so that the face plate bolts directly to the back plate. This results in the hub being about 50mm shorter so when the quick release is bolted on top the control stalks are still within easy finger reach. Yes, this means the steering wheel is no longer capable of deforming but my driving position is relatively 'straight arm' so I consider the coming together of my face and steering wheel to be unlikey, and if it did I would have more pressing concerns since the driving position has got shorter by 20 inches to allow this to happen!

I'll try and snap some detailed pictures tonight and post them here.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzCarrera3
I had a Mod 7 but found two issues:

1) The rim diameter/width is too narrow at about 30mm - felt too skinny and fragile; and
2) As the wheel is steeply dished, it moves the wheel too far from the indicator stalk, even with the small hub (Maybe I have small fingers?).
I have to get used to the signal stalk being further away every time i get in the car. First couple of times is always a little unnatural.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Ok chaps, here are a few more pics of the modified hub and the quick release.

This is the hub with the crush structure removed. To do this you'll need to accurately drill and tap holes in the base plate so that the two halves can be bolted together.

The hub comes with a soft plastic concertina cover that you then trim down to match the new length.

And the last two are pictures of the wheel quick release

Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
Ok chaps, here are a few more pics of the modified hub and the quick release. This is the hub with the crush structure removed. To do this you'll need to accurately drill and tap holes in the base plate so that the two halves can be bolted together. The hub comes with a soft plastic concertina cover that you then trim down to match the new length. And the last two are pictures of the wheel quick release
Thanx for the pictures rob.
Do you mind measuring how much the modified hub ads? Also did you get the horn working?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:22 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

I'll measure the distance from the face of the plastic steering column box (where the the control stalks emerge) and the face the steering wheel is bolted to. Yep the horn works.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Originally Posted by robt964
I'll measure the distance from the face of the plastic steering column box (where the the control stalks emerge) and the face the steering wheel is bolted to. Yep the horn works.
Thanx
If the steering wheel came too close you could buy the Protippo instead even though the look of the 07 is more modern.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Anyone tried the slim model??
http://www.totalkitcar.com/2013/09/13/wheel-off/
Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Tonser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling up an old thread here

I'm looking at the B-G quick release too, but as I have the dished Mod7 wheel don't want to add the extra 60mm. Rob did you get the crumple structure taken out by a machine shop, or is it a competent DIYer job ? I understand the alignment has to be perfect. Did you re-affix the top of the boss adapter to the base of it, or drill and tap the base itself ?

I called B-G today and they have shelved the plans for a slim version.

Thanks
Tony

Quick Reply: Which Momo steering wheel?