Sponsored by:

Kinked Oil Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinked Oil Pipe

I've posted this on my Winter Maintenance thread but hoping to get more attention.

I've replaced the oil line from the thermostat to the oil filter in the wheel arch with an OEM pipe. However, the pipe has a kink at the end of the hard pipe, which now I have searched, seems to be a common issue. There area few posts thrown up be searching 'oil pipe kinked', all with the same issue. The consensus seems to be that the OEM aftermarket hoses are inferior to the original Porsche part, but some posts suggest even the Porsche bought part is not as good as it used to be as they have stopped reinforcing the hose.

Name:  image-573855153.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  491.9 KB

It was quite bad

Name:  image-3173154203.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  450.6 KB

But I managed to improve it

Name:  image-3705701976.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  420.3 KB

My original pipe is too far gone to re-use the metal ends and have a new pipe made using a better quality hose that doesn't kink. But my question is why do we bother with the metal ends at all? Surely this pipe would be much easier to fit if it was fully flexible? No issues with making sure the metal ends are positioned correctly when having it made and most of all easier to fit.

What do people think? Seriously considering just going this route so interested to hear what others think?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

It really is some bullsh1t that the OEM Porsche part is such trash, cause it sure isn't cheap. I wonder if feedback is getting back the them regarding the lack of quality of this piece.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Merle
Racer

This is the reason I had my original hose rebuilt by Elephant Racing. The hose was better than the original and the cost was about 1/3 of the original part.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on using a fully flexible hose without the metal ends?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know man, it's a tight and windy route back there behind the tank and to the top of the thermostat, and that isn't exactly a thin and pliable hose.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Vandit, the hose would be too thick and inflexible and not able to make make the bends required. JMHO :O))

Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Hi Stan
I have come across this problem a few years ago but I was able to re use the metal ends so got a new pipe made up.
I have replaced the oil line from the engine scavenge to oil filter with aeroquip and routed under gearbox to reduce temperatures. At the same time I tried to do the same with the pipe your having problems with but the I could not get the pipe to fit through the tight gap it has to run, which is why they use the formed metal pipe. Try as I might I had to give up in the end as I was never happy with the way it sat etc. so I think you may encounter the same issues and the pipe and fittings are not cheap! To have laid redundant!!
Simon
Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Simon, that's the perfect answer mate! You've tried it, so no point in thinking about that route then! I've put my old hose in the car tonight and will try my local Pirtek and see if they think it can be salvaged...
Old 02-17-2014, 03:25 AM
evanscott964
Instructor

Glad to be of help! I think that will be the answer just get Pirtek to clean up the ends to make sure they are in good condition also make sure they note the orientation as its super important to get it to fit!

Cheers Simon.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 AM
dave964diver
Racer

Originally Posted by StanUK951
Simon, that's the perfect answer mate! You've tried it, so no point in thinking about that route then! I've put my old hose in the car tonight and will try my local Pirtek and see if they think it can be salvaged...
Hi Stan,

I had this problem when I was routing this hose. Hyphose said they couldn't swage the old ends in to a new hose so went and purchased the oem one.

After lots of different attempts of releasing various lines I finally sorted it by.

Releasing everything ie all the hoses and the oil tank but have it in position just not on its mounts. Have the thermostat loose. Route the hose bring the thermostat up to the hose end. Take a few threads.

Now take a few threads on the oil filter housing (this also needs to be loose from the engine bay. continue to go back and forth between the two ensuring that there is no twisting in the hose. Once you can take a seal on both ends back them off a slightly. Tighten the oil filter housing end first. Mount the oil filter housing in the engine bay.

This is the tricky bit. I know there is not much room but counter turn the hard end of the hose (thermostat side) and then nip the nut up on the thermostat. This should put you in the right orientation with no kinks or twists.
Push the oil tank into position onto its mounts. Attach the bottom hoses first, then the top ones.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stan, if you have any problems finding somewhere to rebuild the line with the proper spec hose let me know as I know a place in High Wycombe that can do it (they did all mine)

If the existing ends really are shot then you may have to consider having the hose on that new line replaced instead. At least then you'll know it's good for another 25+ years. I wouldn't trust that new thin walled hose as it is.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I tried my local Pirtek this morning with my old hose and they did not like the look of the ends of my old hose either and said they would not guarantee any work they did on it (not sure if this is a standard comment though). The only suitable hose they had in stock was metal braided on the outside and I was concerned this would damage all the other hoses next to it eventually.

I spoke to Steve Winter from Jaz Porsche (where I get all of my servicing work, etc.). He said he has seen this problem before and only recommends using the Genuine Porsche hose.

I called Type 911 and they have heard of the problem and think it affects some cars but not all and some worse than others. Porsche have revised the part several times and they think the OEM part is basically the same as a Genuine part. We agreed that I would order a new Genuine part from them to see if there is any difference once the two are side by side. I said I would not fit the hose if it appeared to be exactly the same and Type 911 said they would refund either or both hoses once I decided which way to go, which seemed fair to me.

So I guess I will have to wait and see what the hose is like when it arrives...

dave964diver: I did try something along the lines of your suggestion. This was how I improved it from the first picture. I didn't go to the length's you did (you obviously have far more patience than I!) but I tried easing the hose off at both ends and holding it in the position where it seemed to be kink free or less kinked, then nipped up each end gradually, however, it gets to the point where you have to tighten it with some actual force, which is when it seems to kink more. I used some fairly colourful language on it but this had little effect...

If nothing else I will be able to update this thread with a definitive view on the OEM hose and the Genuine Porsche part.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

"I used some fairly colourful language on it but this had little effect..."

Shouting and swearing never really does, does it Stan, these bloody things just won't listen!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Hi Stan
I've had some of these made up in the past so I have a reel of hose I think and a pipe made up also I think! I try and hunt it out tomorrow and if it helps I could post it down for you to try?
Let me know how you fair with the new pipe
Cheers Simon
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Hi Simon, that is a very generous offer. I'll see how I can get on with the new hose but if it doesn't work out this would be a great back up as Spa is coming up fast! Obviously we'll sort something out cost wise as I know it's not cheap even to get the old hose re-made.

Quick Reply: Kinked Oil Pipe