Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GP White back together Again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100 db is much lower than I would expect for a fabspeed. I guess the mod you did has brought it down and you'll be good for most tracks at that noise level.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM
evanscott964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in fairness the Fabspeed was quiet at revs but had a horrendous drone at around 2000 which happened to be cruising speeds in any gear!!
On one trip to the Ring by the time I got there I was ready to tear the bleeding thing off and that was with earplugs!
So when I got back I got a company to make a new one and its been ok since.

Simon.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lovely car Simon, one of my favourites on here

Interesting to hear your thoughts on manual steering and did you do any interal work to the rack when your removed the pump and pipes etc.

Out of interest what does it weigh
Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

great looking car !
interesting shifter is it with cables ? how does it feel ?
so you delete all the console then

Last edited by kos11-12; 02-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:29 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evanscott964
Since changing to 2WD the 6 speed has been awesome but I think that's down to the fact that its the G50/021 as it has a good gear set standard ideal for tracks etc. and since add the new CWP it's made it even better!
Yup the census seems to be that the early ROW 993 or G50/ 21 is a good upgrade.

What are your findings regarding the /30, /32 and /31?

I'm seeing obvious economical reasons for not going for a /31 or 993RS because of their rarity however I don't know much about the rarity/ performance of the /30 and 32/?

The barrels are later style with sealing ring bored out and re coated, pistons are JE. I did all the work myself, gearbox, engine etc.
Congratulations on the DIY. So what are you finding regarding reliability with this setup? I've seen mixed report regarding match JE pistons with Mahle barrels due to the difference in their expansion/ contraction rates.

Power output is very subjective as all dyno's vary but last year on Wayne's dyno's it produced 299.6 rwhp but not sure what torque was?
Your right dyne plots mean ***** most of the time - its your feeling that counts. What were your reasons for not going with Motec ECU system?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, that's a nice car

The exhaust is a fabspeed system but I had to get the rear box remade as it had a lot of drone at low revs, I believe this has now been addressed. Noise is 100dB when last tested, but I'm looking for a new set of headers.
I'm running a 3.8 with ITB's and Fabspeed (with heat) and I have the same problem re the droning at low revs, how did you rectify please?

At the moment we're trying perforated steel inserts into the exhaust tips in the hope that it will break up the resonance. This may make the exhaust note more raspy I believe, performance exhausts are a science on their own

Cheers,
Paul
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

regarding pistons, I would like to hear what Omega has to offer,
I rate them to be one of the best piston makers and it's made in UK
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Hi guys thanks again for your comments
Captain
I have modified a couple of racks the first being a 993 but it was too low geared making it a pain at lower speeds but I've just modded and fitted the 964 rack and that feels great plenty of feedback/ feel without the struggle. Ultimately I will get a RS rack but this has been a good test bed
The car goes to Redline tomorrow for set up corner weight and some expert input so I'll find out its weight and post it later.

Kos
The shifter is still a rod change direct to the box and it feels awesome close to the wheel short precise shifting really impressive, I've made various towers, short shifts over the years and none have worked as well as this its always the simplest of designs eh?!
Yes I removed all the ctr console like the cleaner looks and very few of the switches were relevant!

Hi Frank
Yes the 021 box is an awesome upgrade for you especially with the engine/power upgrades you're running. The drop off between gears is very small keeping the engine on the boil so the power is relentless when accelerating through the gears.
I guess the ultimate box would be the cup box for an N/A car but the 30, 31 boxes are good as they have taller first gears amongst other improvements, I haven't looked at the ratios for a while!, trouble is they are no longer available to buy from Porsche as a friend of mine found out.
I could write forever with regard to he piston/barrel setup I received originally! But after 2 years of constant hassle I've finally got the engine sorted and it runs fine with no problems, it could do with a freshen up that's all as its been in 3-4 years now and there's a couple of oil leaks appearing
I used DTA as it is a very good system that's reliable and cost effective and Mr Schofield always speaks highly of it so that's good enough for me!

Hi Paul
The problem with the droning is the rear box, the internal pipes meet in the centre of the box as which point the gases collide and at the right or wrong velocity create the resonance. I had a new box made where the pipe were C shaped back to back so the gases had their own route and therefore didnt collide, at the same time I had the box made as big as the space allowed.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Hi Guys,

We have a 2nd Version of the RSR Muffler that, when tested on our in house 3.8 with sound deadening delete, does not drone at all. For those that are looking for zero drone, you will want to specify this muffler when ordering.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Paul
The problem with the droning is the rear box, the internal pipes meet in the centre of the box as which point the gases collide and at the right or wrong velocity create the resonance. I had a new box made where the pipe were C shaped back to back so the gases had their own route and therefore didnt collide, at the same time I had the box made as big as the space allowed.
Hi Guys,

We have a 2nd Version of the RSR Muffler that, when tested on our in house 3.8 with sound deadening delete, does not drone at all. For those that are looking for zero drone, you will want to specify this muffler when ordering.
Thanks for info, I'll get onto that.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the 021 box is an awesome upgrade for you especially with the engine/power upgrades you're running. The drop off between gears is very small keeping the engine on the boil so the power is relentless when accelerating through the gears.
I guess the ultimate box would be the cup box for an N/A car but the 30, 31 boxes are good as they have taller first gears amongst other improvements, I haven't looked at the ratios for a while!, trouble is they are no longer available to buy from Porsche as a friend of mine found out.
Thanks for the feedback. Ps. more pics please.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Nice write up Simon. Looking forward to seeing it at Oulton Park next month.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Yeh I'm really looking forward to Oulton just hope I can get to grips with it on my first visit!!
Had my first run out in the car on Sunday since taking it off the road and it felt fantastic to get back in! Over the winter months I have fitted new suspension see photo, solid eng mounts and a Function First gearbox mount and it all made the car feel sooo taut, the only downside is the car is becoming less road useable and more track focused which to be honest is all I use it for except for a trip to the Nurburgring
I guess the monoballs cartridges don't help either so to all out there if you want a predominantly road car be careful how far you go replacing bushes etc!!

Last edited by evanscott964; 12-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Here's another pic of something I've tried since going to the Turbo arches I went to 18" wheels and always been concerned at how flimsy the rack mounts are! Whilst I know porsche do a brace I decided to make something a bit more substantial, note this was made easy by having a non assisted rack I.e. no pipes.
The trouble with these mods is trying to prove they actually work but when I start hill climbing this year I'm hoping to see that in my reduced times!!

Last edited by evanscott964; 12-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Waow that's interesting,
is your steering rack clamped with the original rubbers, I upgrade mines with polys

Quick Reply: GP White back together Again!