Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's working fine on YouTube.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do not show this to the 993 crowd.
they are getting a bit sensitive re: the merits of the 964.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

At least they didn't say that the front end of the 993 looks like a 964 melted in the sun, and that the interior is a styling abomination.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Maxxvr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It truly is amazing how prices have increased, especially in just a year!
I don't think I could ever get rid of my 964, I think it's going to stay a while.
However, I still want a 993 turbo or C2S in the worst way....
Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I feel the same way. The car saved me from myself to a degree. Should of been killed or very hurt. Not even a pulled neck muscle. The seat belt and air bag had a huge role in that. The car was wrecked hard. Hit a tree and a old stone cow wall. When I see people take out the airbag wheel, I cringe unless with racing harness. Here are some sad photos. The good news is that as an organ donor, she helped to give life to another car with no motor or trans etc. I will not even say how fast I think the car was traveling. Motor has some scars on exhaust manifolds that don't effect anything, but can see how it slid over some rocks. Anyway…Sigh.
One of our group had total brake failure at the track. He walked away from this. They are built strong.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Jetta - Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Any info or teachable moments on what led to the "total brake failure" shown above?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
Any info or teachable moments on what led to the "total brake failure" shown above?
It's early days so far, the accident happened on Wednesday and hospital checks etc were the priority. Yesterday, they inspected for leaks and fluid level but found no issues

He was at our home track. It was at the end of the main straight, time 2.01 on this video
about 10 minutes into the session.

Speculation, and that's all it is right now is that a caliper piston stuck, heated up and boiled the fluid. He was running ATE Gold and Mintex pads. The fluid was 6 months old.

This was not a poorly maintained car. It had some good updates and overall condition was excellent. I'll share the findings when they come. This is everyone's biggest fear. There was no warning of this e.g. No prior fade.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:34 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Managed to watch it, great piece, shame we didn't see a bit more of the cars in action though.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was waiting for the crash, didn't realize not on this video. Glad to hear he is ok. Sucks he lost his car. No insurance on the track I imagine. Maybe he will do what I did and find another chassis and swap motor etc except for the brakes..They are tough cars. Most people have no idea how strong they are. My ex had a fit when I put my daughter in my car. I always argued it is much better then a lot of the cars out there, and really not much smaller then a Civic 4 door etc. Now it is hard to justify since I bought a e500 4matic wagon. Could care less what upsets her, thats a subject for another forum..Ha
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I was waiting for the crash, didn't realize not on this video. glad to tea the is ok. Sucks he lost his car. No insurance on the track I imagine. Maybe he will do what I did and find a another chassis and swap motor etc, except for the brakes..They are tough cars. Most people have no idea how strong they are. My ex had a fit when I put my daughter in my car. I always argued it is much better then a lot of the cars out there, and really not much smaller then a Civic 4 door etc.
No crash footage. That's my car from a few months ago. We run max of 15 cars per session and have strict rules on passing only under acceleration so not a huge amount of action.

My other videos have more cars in them.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, plan is to re-body the car. Maybe go wide body. His car is in some of my vids.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...They are tough cars. Most people have no idea how strong they are. My ex had a fit when I put my daughter in my car. I always argued it is much better then a lot of the cars out there...
My wife doesn't have any problems with our kids riding in the car, but I've talked to a lot of soccer moms that think it's dangerous and that I'm crazy. Typical helicopter parent response. Of course they think they are safer in an SUV... One quick roll over comment would even out the situ. Then I like to say something about how strong a car has to be if it was routinely driven at 160 mph... Think about where the kids sit, tucked down low where the rear suspension, transmission, and engine are all connected. That's one hell of a strong area in the body shell. Very safe. Visibility, by others is the only weakness....
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here's the drivers description.

Hello everyone - before anything else let me say thank you for all of the concern, posts, emails & calls. I can't think of a better group of motorheads to have fallen in with. Thank you.

It’s been an interesting 24 hours, for sure. It’s going to be a long post, so make a tea and grab some Shrewsbury’s!

Yesterday I decided to go out on an afternoon session to get some exposure to HD & the car. Very slow day, total of maybe 10 cars. Did our familiarisation laps and then set out to it. I made it to the end of my second 8-lap session. Nothing uneventful first session, a bit hot on the brakes as I got used to the track. Second session was going very well — tying in the corners and the lines I’d seen driven on my previous ridealongs were coming to me. I was circulating much more consistently and the car felt great.

When we were at Puke I definitely experienced a some brake fading, but at HD it was more under control. The day previous I was in Pirongia and spent time learning from Dan how to replace front bushes and CV boots. While up on the lift I did have a good look at the brakes as I wanted to see how the pads were holding up (Mintex, and as previously mentioned ATE gold). Even spent some time discussing different options for the future. Brakes have always been consciously what I felt to be the weak point in terms of car confidence.

I can honestly say, no red mist, no target acquisition — an M1 and GTI had pulled away from me, had been passed by a 335i, and most recently destroyed by a tracked RX7 of some description — I was happily finding my limits of traction on the Bridgestones (17’s definitely more forgiving than my 18’s). I was also looking forward to meet the new owner of a hunter green 964 Turbo that showed up as I pulled out for my second session. (Never did meet him, just bought it from the SI, Nigel K?). No issues with my brakes on my last number of laps and no chance I would have even gone near where I did if they were feeling soft — on turn10 I was working on the 70% apex and had gotten better at using the full width. As I came up the hill green lights were flashing making the lap I was about to complete my last one.

Was on the left side, nailed the brakes and ready to downshift to third as I had been and pedal went to the floor. Not partially, not slowly, just down. The pedal must have returned as I recall pumping and getting little bits. Pumped and downshifted to third, pump pump pump — chassis was a bit unsettled as I neared the edge of the tarmac and at that point I decided I would not try to make the turn and risk flipping. Needless to say the grass did nothing for braking and the sand at that speed really didn’t help much either. I had just been working on getting into 2nd gear (everything is slow motion, right) aborted & grabbed the steering wheel, tried not to lock my elbows and pushed myself back into my seat and feet on the deadpedal and brake. Gary Upson reckoned I hit the tire wall around 120kph. I will have burned in my brain the image for the rest of my life of the tire wall from about 5 meters away. Not sure I can detail all the thoughts in my head at that moment, but biggest one was now I personally get find out what a high speed frontal collision is like and what will life be like on the other side.

The crunch and deceleration was momentary and I was still moving forward. I didn’t think I would have punched through the tires. I was expecting when I opened my eyes (yes, I’ll admit to closing them a moment before impact!) that I’d be spinning in a green field, but instead saw blue. There are varying reports of excitement and probably exaggeration of how high I went, though I’m certain I gained some altitude. Problem was behind that tire wall is also a 5meter drop… so I saw blue and felt I was tilted about 45degrees left and then the really hard landing came. It’s hard to piece together — and here’s a twist — I ended up in an active construction zone below turn one. I landed left nose down into a soft pile of freshly sifted dirt. The right impacted the motor on the back of the sifting machine. I think I landed 45degrees tilted left and 30 degrees tilted down — final impact was the back end slamming down on the hard ground.

There were three guys in the crew, one of which had been working on the motor because it was giving them some grief. They heard a sound, saw something coming over and ran for it. That’s the real luck yesterday — not the guy strapped into a cage with a helmet, but the guys on the outside with no protection. It could have been significantly worse. I could have hit them, I could have hit the machine with my window…

So I’m on the ground, hands on the wheel, engine still running. I look out the right window and there’s a guy standing there. I still don’t realise where I landed so I assumed it was a corner worker and wondered for how they’d gotten there so fast. Did I pass out for a few moments? (Nope) I looked left and there’s another person standing by my window. I gave them the thumbs up that I was OK and went to open my door. Turned off the car and got out as carefully as I could, expecting that I’d hurt something I couldn’t feel yet. I looked around and saw dirt, digger, machines - what the - I landed in a construction site. Checked my extremities were there, no leaks. Decided to leave my helmet on for a minute in case I collapsed (we’ve all read those accounts), wondering if they had equipment for using the eject helmet removal device if I did. First person on the scene was Gary with Playday if I recall… at which point I took my helmet off. The guys at the construction site were in various levels of disbelief but in agreement they were cutting out for the day and having a beer.

Walking around there was a tire next to me and another chain of four another 10-15 meters beyond my car that I took along. The rocker panels I’d restored were off, both shark fins were just gone, headlights in pieces, new intakes & clear indicators destroyed and the shipping damage on the rear bumper I was worried about made for a real reality check. I took pictures, St John’s arrived, flashlights in my eyeballs, hands all over my head, a tow was arranged. No one could believe (including myself) that I was walking. Any good luck I may have felt like I missed out on over the years just paid out, guys. Who cares about the car, who cares about the car. My forehead was a bit sore, as were my traps. My helmet had some black marks top front, the Stilo did it’s job. Random fact — my iPhone was still attached to my cradle in the installed position. Take that NKMOS!

Due to the soreness and sheer speed St Johns insisted I be immobilised and sent to Middlemore for scans. The EMT had the foresight to have me roll down the top of my suit so it wouldn’t be cut when I got there. X-rays and CT were both clear but due to a few mixups it took until 10PM to get the reports & discharged. The ED charge nurse who handles motorsport injuries reckons he cuts up a handful of suits every week. He also examined my helmet and cleared it - otherwise they cut the chin straps before they give it back to you.

I’ve played the scenario out in my mind a thousand times and I wouldn’t change a single thing at the point those brakes didn’t respond. A single change and I or someone else might have been seriously injured of killed. At the top of the hill I imagined two scenarios — hitting and bouncing off the tire wall utilising the car’s crush zones, or hitting it obliquely and high speed spinning or flipping over the wall. I didn’t expect to punch through, but this morning I got to wake up with my wife and kids and get out of bed on my own.

Only had four or five paracetamols worth of painkiller since the accident - still not sure how that’s possible. I was in a low speed (30mph) collision when I was 23 that hurt me more than this. I can only suspect it was the genius of the tire wall and angles of deceleration that made it easier on my body.

The car was taken to Pirongia as too badly mangled to put in Steve’s shop at HD. I spoke with him this morning and he tells me the front end damage is probably more addressable than the rear. Sudden deceleration of the motor tweaks the tub as evidenced by the rear window popping out. If I feel good when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will drive down there at stare at it for a while. We will also take a close look at the braking system to figure out what gave up. I’ll report back whatever we found. Somewhere a mistake was made, whether maintenance, age, design or use and it bit me yesterday, guys. I know I want a 100% answer, we all do — I hope it’s something clear, therefore addressable. If anyone can sleuth it, Steve & Dan can. Maybe it’s time for the wide body 964 rebuild I’ve dreamt about?

Quick Reply: Here's Why You Must Buy A Porsche 911 Today -- AFTER/DRIVE