Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hemmings is behind the times, with those prices.
By about 9 months to a year.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents, but there is nothing like an air cooled Porsche. You have to weigh the joy of driving one vs value, maintenance etc. If you are handy they are not to difficult to work on. In terms of value they seem to be going up steadily. If I were in the market I would consider a late model 3.2 '87-89 coupe. Easier to work on and have that classic Porsche look. Budget wise they should fit with all the mods you have planned. If your set on a 964 then go for a C2 coupe if you can and of course get it in manual. At the end of the day it's not a logical car to purchase, but one that needs to be owned and experienced in a lifetime.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM
StephenJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrianU
Mileage to me seems on the low end, relatively speaking. Valve adjusts are needed what, every 10k? 12k? So in other words, fairly regularly if it's driven, right? And the current owner says it doesn't leak, but I haven't seen where he parks it and I am not sure how often he needs to add a quart, so in that regard it is an unknown, yes.

I have looked at the spreadsheet on the prices thread, and have used Hemmings for guidance as well, as well as Rennlist and Pelican classifieds. Hemmings have $33k for an "excellent" car and $24k for "good" and this one definitely leans towards the excellent side of the spectrum, so I do not think $30k is out of line.

There is a 1992 C4 cab same color w/66k down at an LA dealer asking $45k. Their ebay auction ended recently without the reserve being met and that was with bids over $33k. Lower miles, sure, but 2 years older also. Granted that's at a dealer and they claim to have gone through it completely and it is a "no excuses" car, but still, to me it validates the price of the one i am considering.
Wow, I guess the market has moved up more than I thought. I paid $28k for my 80k mile C2 Coupe a year ago, and while it's a very solidly maintained machine I couldn't help but feel I overpaid a bit because I wanted one so badly. I guess that may not be the case.

Also, noticed you have a JCW Mini, I'm currently trying to sell my non-JCW 09 MCS as we speak. I wish those were in high demand like 964s
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also depends how long you plan to own the car and how much you plan to drive it. If you spend 30k on it and lay out another 5-7k in the following 12 months and then sell it in two or five years, then you should just buy a 997. If on the other hand you plan to keep the car for a long time, the costs of the buy in will be deflected by the lack of depreciation--which will be much greater with the 997.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 PM
ClaytoVR
Banned

I couldn't have said it better than "Dr Mitch". If you can spend the money why not? ultimately you can't take it with you and if you'd regret a different decision get what you want, not what others suggest its worth(within reason). I bought my 964 just over 3 years ago, not because that was a great time to buy but that's when I found the right car. I'd been looking for a GR or GPW C2 5spd with black interior. I found it, I fell in love with it so I bought it. If you plan to keep it for a long time I would recommend buying it. Its 20yrs old at this point....when is the next time you'll run across a 94 Cab you like? Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian, do you want a Cab? Ragtops are cool, if that's what you want.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

SORRY ABOUT THIS, but the price is 33K ! You live in the "golden state", and will have to cough up another 3k to the DMV for the "privilege" of owning and driving it. The joy never ends.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 AM
garrett1021
Racer

Hey just got reference, I payed 15k for my c4 coupe, and it has been a blessing. I love the car and everything about it. Ive had only minor problems like the dme relay going bad etc.

I got it for 15k a year ago and have put less than 600 in it for maintenance (including motor mounts, oil change, spark plugs, brake lines)

So all in for around 16k and I have a car that has 150k miles on the body and only 20k on the rebuilt engine, also its got a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel, and tons of little things.

The car is great and I only payed half of what your looking at.

Just food for thought

Lower miles and higher price doesn't necessarily mean better car
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
tcabler
Banned

I think you should be able to find a better deal, especially for a cab. Even a well sorted coupe with 80-100k miles can still be had for around $25K.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by creaturecat
30 will look like a deal, a year from now. For a decent one.
Mark my words.
Agree!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
seeq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 AM
BeachBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by tcabler
I think you should be able to find a better deal, especially for a cab. Even a well sorted coupe with 80-100k miles can still be had for around $25K.
I dare you to find me a few examples currently for sale under 100k miles and at $25k...
Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I will take a well sorted gp white coupe, 5 speed, sorted and 80k miles, for 25k.
i would like a '92 with cup wheels.
Please pm me with details.
cash buyer.
serious.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM
n.dino
Advanced

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
I dare you to find me a few examples currently for sale under 100k miles and at $25k...
You can't be lazy. You have to LIVE on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, theSamba, PCA classifies. I can't tell you how many hours of my life were wasted on these sites but you have to have sacrifice. It's all part of the hunt. Forget eBay too much of a market, they are out there you have to act within hours of ads being posted.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
StephenJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by n.dino
You can't be lazy. You have to LIVE on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, theSamba, PCA classifies. I can't tell you how many hours of my life were wasted on these sites but you have to have sacrifice. It's all part of the hunt. Forget eBay too much of a market, they are out there you have to act within hours of ads being posted.

Good luck.
Not to mention the possiblity of spending 100's to fly to check out a car several states away. I'm in Rhode Island and saw a couple decent cars in Connecticut and New York, but ended up going to Ohio to get something that was closer to what I wanted.

Quick Reply: At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?