964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014 | 03:48 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

I've booked for the 24 (first time for me) but the classic is also on my wish list. To be honest it will probably come down to cost for me as I have some major work on the car to be carried out this month/next month and I've been informed that I am getting married this year too.

So put me down as tentative and when we have a rough idea of budget then I can confirm, happy to help in any trip research needed in the meantime though.
Old 02-06-2014 | 05:53 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I'm booked for the 24 and have decided to do the Classic too, so I'm in!
Old 02-06-2014 | 12:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

You lucky guys! This is definitely the year to do both.
I haven't been to the 24, but to potentially be a spectator to a Porsche win would be something to remember. That said, my attention wanes 30 minutes into any endurance race...

If I could only do one, it would be the Classic though. After one visit you can comfortably say you have seen just about every important race car/manufacture in automotive history. The cars that were constantly driving past on the way to the track was just stunning. And all with class and very relaxed manner.
A truly wild time. Bucket list stuff!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10867...161?banner=pwa
Old 02-06-2014 | 12:35 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, that was a good day Udo! I really want to get there again - I just need to convince someone to spend 10 hours in the car with me to get there from Bologna!! Any takers for an endurance drive through Northern Italy, the Alps and France?!!

That's me by the way next to the Ruby RS!
Old 02-06-2014 | 05:16 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Guys, I am happy to arrange tickets via Porsche Club France and ferries / chunnel. The process is much easier than it used to be, I used to have to fax them with a credit card number and cross my fingers that we would get tickets, they are actually pretty organised though! I'm a member of the ACO as well so not sure if I get any discounts on the classic through that but will check!

So far we seem to have:

StanUK951
BLACK BETTY
STUARTQ
mf_rsr??
cuse92
cptnzero
fuch + fuch jnr

Last edited by StanUK951; 02-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2014 | 05:40 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Yeah I'm in for the classic too IF there's a few going...might try and make it in to a longer road trip also...

Also add Ben, the OP!
Old 02-06-2014 | 05:42 PM
cptnzero
Instructor

And me please
Old 02-06-2014 | 05:54 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cptnzero
And me please
Good effort sir, she obviously is now planning a far more extravagant wedding, but good effort anyway!!
Old 02-06-2014 | 06:07 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

The boy & I please.....he's 15 yrs so he can open the beers for us & I might just let him have a little beer as mum will never find out!!
Old 02-07-2014 | 03:28 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by StanUK951
Good effort sir, she obviously is now planning a far more extravagant wedding, but good effort anyway!!
Following my suggestions of Silverstone or Goodwood as wedding venues I am now (even) more of a passenger on the whole planning side...

Anyway I can always justify LM trips as a stag do.
Old 02-07-2014 | 06:15 AM
orp73
Racer

Guys, I am happy to arrange tickets via Porsche Club France and ferries / chunnel. The process is much easier than it used to be, I used to have to fax them with a credit card number and cross my fingers that we would get tickets, they are actually pretty organised though! I'm a member of the ACO as well so not sure if I get any discounts on the classic through that but will check!

So far we seem to have:

StanUK951
BLACK BETTY
STUARTQ
mf_rsr??
cuse92
cptnzero
fuch + fuch jnr
I would be interested in an entrance ticket ( I have my ferries booked already)

thanks

Mark
Old 02-07-2014 | 06:24 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Haha! I went to the Nurburgring 24 hours for my stag...awesome :-)
Old 02-07-2014 | 06:30 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Could you put me down for a tentative? I had previously targeted the Classic as a date to work towards completing the car
I should have a better idea if its achieveable over the next month (no more wet weekends please!!!!!)
Old 02-07-2014 | 09:58 AM
cuse92
Instructor

So far we seem to have:

StanUK951
BLACK BETTY
STUARTQ
mf_rsr??
cuse92
cptnzero
fuch + fuch jnr
Awesome. Does that include a camping area for us or what do people want to do about accomodation?
Old 02-07-2014 | 10:46 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

There are many ticket options.

To make this easy to arrange I am going to suggest we all go for the 'Clubs Stands' option, which is: générale enclosure, paddock and grandstand "Stands" reserved, for one person during 3 days. This ticket is €120.00. General enclosure and paddock only is €95.00. This seems a good value option to me?

Everybody will get Porsche parking for free (usually €20) if I book via my PCGB membership...!

The only other option is €20 more for the Chinetti stand but I'm not sure where this is on the circuit? The Dunlop stand is already sold out!

There are lots of other options such breakfast's, lunch, dinners, drinks, hampers, etc. but unless we all want to eat lunch one day in the Porsche tent this could get complicated?

The only other option people may want is track laps. Be warned, this is not as fun as it sounds! The first year was great because it was basically not too busy. Nowadays it is more of a congested parade lap and you have to sit and wait in your car for about an hour or so (and usually it's very hot) before you get on the circuit, then you can drive slowly round it (I think twice) then back to the car park! It is €160.00 for those who want to do it. Not sure if you need special insurance, it's not timed so perhaps not??

Accomodation wise, I would not recommend camping. I don't mind roughing it with the best of them when mountain biking or yomping around the Brecon's but when it's hot and dusty, after 3 days of communal showers and traipsing across fields to relieve one self, it does get a bit tiresome! I am looking into accomodation near where I usually stay, which is just outside Le Mans itself, if everyone is ok with that idea? Otherwise we probably need to find hotels pronto...!

Quick Reply: Classic Le Mans