Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio install advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Flea18
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a Pioneer DEH-8600BH. It's not exactly the classic 964 look, but it's a dramatic upgrade in quality from my OEM CR-1 cassette player. And you can set the illumination to amber to match the instruments. Not to mention bluetooth, Siri, hands free phone, HD radio, etc...

One difference from Laker's thread: my switched 12v was the black/red wire, and the constant 12v was the red wire.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning on exhanging the Becker Avus with a Pioneer DEH-96000BT basicly the same as the 8600, so I hope you can answer me if the current socket will fit with the Pioneer radio.
Can anyone tell from looking at the pictures?

This is the rear of the Pioneer HU:
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it won't fit.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonett43
No, it won't fit.
Okay, so it´s a different plug?

Can I get an adapter or do I have to mess with the wiring?
ICE nOOb
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM
hamah
Pro

Both are aftermarket HUs. The only adaptors I've ever seen go from factory original harnesses to aftermarket (and I've never seen or heard of an adaptor from the old CD-1 or CD-2 to anything). You could try to source wiring diagrams from Becker on the Avus but that name was used many times over the years for different models so that might be a challenge. Call Becker to see what they can do to help.

At the end of the day, if this is an area you are not comfortable with or your time is of some value at all (you could be f'ing around on this for hours), you are probably better off just going to the local car audio installers and having them do it for you.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Originally Posted by hamah
Both are aftermarket HUs. The only adaptors I've ever seen go from factory original harnesses to aftermarket (and I've never seen or heard of an adaptor from the old CD-1 or CD-2 to anything). You could try to source wiring diagrams from Becker on the Avus but that name was used many times over the years for different models so that might be a challenge. Call Becker to see what they can do to help. At the end of the day, if this is an area you are not comfortable with or your time is of some value at all (you could be f'ing around on this for hours), you are probably better off just going to the local car audio installers and having them do it for you.
You're absolutely right. The thing is that I previously had a Pioneer HU installed (former owner) and therefore I thought (hoped) that a new Pioneer would be plug and play which is the only thing I want to do myself.
Ohh well off to spend more money
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Flea18
Advanced

The back of my Pioneer DEH-8600BH looks just like the back of your last photo and no, the plug you show will definitely not fit. The plug it came with has finer wires than I expected, and everything comes out of that one rectangular plug with the 10A fuse...except the antenna cable.

Crutchfield sent me their adapter, which turned out to be wrong, so I spliced each of the wires myself. Took about 20 minutes and some crimping caps.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
VR6-er
Racer

You can remove the carpet in the drivers footwell and thread the loom that plugs into the amp back up to the stereo, its a bit fiddly where its bundled with the main wiring loom but you can unpick it. Once you have done this use a plug adapter or crimp on the ISO speaker adapter you have.

The din plug shown is a standard Blaupunkt cable that takes the same route to under the seat. As mine had been cut at the head unit end, I cut it out the remainder, a useful weight saving ha ha...

For the power side you have two options. A proper stereo outfit will be able to sell you an adapter for the old Blau to ISO. I just cut off the old plug and crimped on an ISO plug. I think an autoleads pc - 16 - 4 will do it, but I'm not 100% on this. This also gives you the speaker wiring adapter. You might have to alter the pin arrangement depending on which way round the power and ignition feed go.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Radio install advice