Sponsored by:

Controller for rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 AM
colo964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

springer3,

Thanks for the test procedure. It turns out my 90 controller works exactly the same as your 92 - only difference is the additional control unit? Anyhow, my (up?) relay trips when I bridge 9 & 11 but down relay does not click when I bridge 3 & 11 or 10 & 11. Nothing looks burnt. Got any advice?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Was the relay already in the "extend" position? If it clicks on power-up, it means that more than likely it's switching transistor is blown.

I have fixed three spoiler modules, and in all three cases it was one of the main switching transistors. The extend transistor is next to its relay. The retract transistor is right next to the extend transistor. Be sure to trace the circuit to confirm you have the correct one, and don't forget a 2N222 general purpose switcher has reversed collector-emitter from the 337 transistors in the module.

Be sure to measure stand-by current draw. A leaky switching transistor can cause a battery drain problem on cars that are not driven daily. The "key off" current draw was 4 micro-amps after the transistor was replaced on Horst's module.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:53 PM
colo964
Advanced

Nope. When I hook + to 6 & 7 and - to 5, there is no click on either relay.

BTW, mine is probably a very old module 911.618.112.00 - 2 generations back (at least the sticker is), but is wired they way you describe.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

All failed modules that I have seen clicked on power-up. Your symptom makes me think the transistor is open circuit, or the zener diode surge protector is shorted. Can you measure current draw? A big increase when you jumper pin 11 to pin 10 would show that. One short cut is to operate the module a few minutes in each mode (standby, "extend", and "retract"). Moisten the end of your pinkie, and touch the tops of the transistors and any other components you can get to. Warning: you can get a nasty burn, so be ready to get off fast. You may need to apply pressure for a few moments for components that are only slightly warm. It is normal for the "on" transistor to feel hot, but if any other transistor or diode gets hot, it is leaking and probably the problem. If you give up, I have a working spare I can trade for it.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

I have the discrete version with op-amps, monostable MVs and a bunch of transistors.
Changed it so the spoiler goes up and stays up until the car is shut off. I like it much better. The newer ones use a micro and you can't do anything with them.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Revising old thread here.. Anyone know exactly where the spoiler control unit is located in 91? under the dash it said here but where?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Revising old thread here.. Anyone know exactly where the spoiler control unit is located in 91? under the dash it said here but where?
....... under the dash near the glove box.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM
KDL555
4th Gear

My 1990 C4 Spoiler won't work automatically or manually.
I checked the control units under the passenger seat and found only 1 control unit, the one described earlier in this thread, a small gray box.

Am I missing another control unit? There's suppose to be 2 right? Will it work with just one control unit?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The small gray box is it.....
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread might help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...spoiler-3.html
Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
KDL555
4th Gear

Oh, so the auxiliary spoiler control module IS the relay!
Any simple test to check if spoiler control module or aux control module is not working?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 PM
henrys964
5th Gear

hi new on rennlist

Im having problems with the spoiler check everything mecanicaly and working ok mine is a 1990 c2 the thing is that my spoiler was stuck in the down position and the relay was active all times so had to cheange the gear in the spoiler due to damage . see here that this problem was a resistor in the control module change two resistors and the problem was gone (no relays activating) so the motor stops and do don damage the gear anymore. the spoiler do not works manually and the light in the dash stays on

please any advice on this matter
thanks
Old 12-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Pete Smallwood
Track Day

Bit of a thread resurrection here guys but hopefully someone can send me some Christmas cheer:

I recently purchased a 1989 964 C2 (Yes it really is 1989) as a project. The wiring in the car is interersting to say the least and I have a selection of non working items at present.

I have read the couple of threads on spoiler controllers however before I dive in can I clarify the following please:

1) I have a spoiler controller under the dash - pt no. 964 618 212 00. I understand this to be the main controller at speed. Am I correct?
2) I then have another grey box which I cannot read the writing so cannot get the pt number under the right seat. Can anyone tell me the pt no. of this item please?
3) I also have another relay under the right seat pt. No. 964 618 142 00 labelled spoiler. I do not want to make any assumptions so is this relay part of the spoiler circuit as well?

There was a lot of water in the foot wells (Luckily the pan is still solid!) and a lot of modifications to the wiring in various places. Hence before I start the entire strip down of the car I want to get everything working so I know it worked before I took it apart

This is likely to be the first of many posts on this forum.

I look forward to becoming an active member

Thanks in advance
Pete
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Pete Smallwood
Bit of a thread resurrection here guys but hopefully someone can send me some Christmas cheer:

I recently purchased a 1989 964 C2 (Yes it really is 1989) as a project. The wiring in the car is interersting to say the least and I have a selection of non working items at present.

I have read the couple of threads on spoiler controllers however before I dive in can I clarify the following please:

1) I have a spoiler controller under the dash - pt no. 964 618 212 00. I understand this to be the main controller at speed. Am I correct?
2) I then have another grey box which I cannot read the writing so cannot get the pt number under the right seat. Can anyone tell me the pt no. of this item please?
3) I also have another relay under the right seat pt. No. 964 618 142 00 labelled spoiler. I do not want to make any assumptions so is this relay part of the spoiler circuit as well?

There was a lot of water in the foot wells (Luckily the pan is still solid!) and a lot of modifications to the wiring in various places. Hence before I start the entire strip down of the car I want to get everything working so I know it worked before I took it apart

This is likely to be the first of many posts on this forum.

I look forward to becoming an active member

Thanks in advance
Pete
The two items with the pt nos you quote are the two spoiler units. If you haven't already got the parts catalogue, you can download it from here:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...artscatalogue/

Enjoy
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Pete Smallwood
Track Day

Thanks for the info and the link to the parts catalogue - holy smoke 578 pages. How on earth do you know where to look other than starting at page 1?

Quick Reply: Controller for rear spoiler