Sponsored by:

964 determine the vin number of the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 determine the vin number of the car

friends! a couple of months ago, I became the owner of a Porsche 964 carrera cabriolet turbo-look 1992. but there is a problem. Russia brought the car in a long time, when the documents were filled incorrectly entered vin number of the car, the figures are not correct. watched program for porsche did not work to identify a car. vin number of the car that is in the trunk where the spare tire has been rusty. all markings on the car stickers available. engine was replaced. Now I can not define what is a car to make the correct documents and carry out restoration of the car. please help where can be labeling that will allow me to identify my car. on what grounds other than vin numbers can be found in the trunk of the number. Russia's official dealer can not help me, but the German says to bring a car, but I can not cross the border with the wrong documents.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Malakut,
I am sure there are others here on Rennlist that will be able to help you more than I can, but where was the car before you bought it.
is it European or US spec?
It might be possible to trace the car back to a previous owner for example.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a VIN plate fixed to the wall of the fender inside the trunk. Just pull the carpet back each side to find it. There's a large VIN on a tab just below the fuel tank (I guess this is the one you mean is rusty). Later cars also have the VIN on the left A pillar - you can see this through the glass windscreen.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Malakut,
I am sure there are others here on Rennlist that will be able to help you more than I can, but where was the car before you bought it.
is it European or US spec?
It might be possible to trace the car back to a previous owner for example.
1992 car brought from Europe. immediately and properly recorded in the information documents. I picked up all the information from the time of importation of the car and not all the correct information.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boxsey911
There should be a VIN plate fixed to the wall of the fender inside the trunk. Just pull the carpet back each side to find it. There's a large VIN on a tab just below the fuel tank (I guess this is the one you mean is rusty). Later cars also have the VIN on the left A pillar - you can see this through the glass windscreen.
Thank you! unfortunately at the front near the windshield there is no number on the inside of the left and right wing, too, there is paper with codes on the left wing, but it is completely worn off and I even wanted to give her the expertise to try to recover. paper on the trunk lid is also missing. at the doorway in the castle district, either. may have more secret places?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably not what you want to hear, I'd be quite suspicious of the cars origin. If it's a Euro car there would have been a VIN plate inside the trunk on the front right side of the wing with the VIN details - can you see any evidence of this being removed or this area being re-painted? On 92 and later cars there should also be a VIN plate on the windscreen pillar.

The paper sticker (silver?) is just the cars paint colour and code.

My gut feeling would be that someone has likely removed the VIN plate and poured acid or something similar onto the chassis VIN stamp behind the spare wheel to make that go rusty and therefore illegible. Are there any signs that the car has been in an accident?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there a sticker under the trunk lid? Usually there is a white sticker there with the VIN and option codes listed which matches the sticker in the service book.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Andy. The car sounds very suspicious. The big VIN plate under the fuel tank is so deeply stamped with the number that it is unlikely that it would just rust so that you can't read it. Sounds like it has been tampered with.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
It's probably not what you want to hear, I'd be quite suspicious of the cars origin. If it's a Euro car there would have been a VIN plate inside the trunk on the front right side of the wing with the VIN details - can you see any evidence of this being removed or this area being re-painted? On 92 and later cars there should also be a VIN plate on the windscreen pillar.

The paper sticker (silver?) is just the cars paint colour and code.

My gut feeling would be that someone has likely removed the VIN plate and poured acid or something similar onto the chassis VIN stamp behind the spare wheel to make that go rusty and therefore illegible. Are there any signs that the car has been in an accident?
I agree with you that a car with a dark history, but now it belongs to me legally. all visible identification stickers, signs, and other data were removed to me perhaps especially. I have hope that they have not removed the information in unusual places, hidden from the eyes and difficult to access.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

photo

Last edited by Malakut911; 06-06-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Is there a sticker under the trunk lid? Usually there is a white sticker there with the VIN and option codes listed which matches the sticker in the service book.
where exactly VIN plate on the windscreen pillar? no sticker under the trunk
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Andy. The car sounds very suspicious. The big VIN plate under the fuel tank is so deeply stamped with the number that it is unlikely that it would just rust so that you can't read it. Sounds like it has been tampered with.
may be somewhere else there is a sign or number?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that other than the places we've mentioned there are no other chassis VIN tags. It looks like they did a thorough job.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

I think that other than the places we've mentioned there are no other chassis VIN tags. It looks like they did a thorough job.
I was told that there is inside the car, where the rear passenger seat, and the front where the dashboard. can anyone in the restoration saw these numbers and know their exact location.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Malakut911
Intermediate

I want to do the restoration correctly, and there were no problems when ordering spare parts.

Quick Reply: 964 determine the vin number of the car