Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Ducts, REALLY????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

And that solution just looks so nice - but probably cost me what I paid for my car - can we get back to my real world of nickels dimes and found quarters.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

People that say Singer does "engineering" on their cars need to go read the GS America thread a few times.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
And that solution just looks so nice - but probably cost me what I paid for my car - can we get back to my real world of nickels dimes and found quarters.
There's no reason you can't take some of the ideas (i.e. proper ducting to the back of the disc) from that $$$ solution and apply them to your own?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Get a spare set of backing plates, have someone fabricate and weld some ducting to them, then run some duct hoses.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the backing plates with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2713307649...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
I am about 75% of the way through this, but

Instead of buyimng the FVD/Techart kit Ive made my own loosely based on it

£25.00 e bay ducts, 3 inch ducting (£20.00ish) and some plastic fittings replicate its function, if not aesthetics

Ducts fitted to bumper and painted, routed past the back of the oil cooler one side and through the empty space on the other (no air con on mine) then erzatz fittings to go through the wheel arch liners

Just got to put back togeter and fab up some deflectors for inside the wheel well.

Difficult when I am also half way through RS carpet and door card installs at the same time!

Car looks an absolute state at present, but needs MOT in mid Feb so it needs to be finished by then!!!
Good on you Gary for making it all yourself....make sure you take some pics for us.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup min are plumbed in also.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Good on you Gary for making it all yourself....make sure you take some pics for us.
+964
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The FVD setup looks nice. Our cars come from the factory with brake cooling air scoops. See the link below for a less expensive upgrade option using those scoops that may work for some although it doesn't look quite as nice.

http://911sg.com/964-993-brake-cooling-duct-upgrade/

Mike
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus
Recently there have been 2 post on the install of brake ducts on the front of the 964 that replace the front fog / driving light in the bumper. Before this many others, and a lot of folks have gone down this road, BUT!
Almost every article written that I have read on this modification has only carried out the very first step of installing the scoop in the bumper - Some folks have said this allows more air to the oil cooler or to the AC side, or others have opened up the area to let more air blow back towards the front brakes.
But, isn't the purpose of installing the brake scoop in the beginning to allow more air to blow directly on the front brakes by routing hose from the scoop to the backing plate on the front disk. I have yet to see anyone address the hose, routing, fastening and benefits of the the second or third phase of installing air scoops for the front brakes.
I saw an even mix of both in my research prior to installing mine. For me, the name "brake duct" had nothing to do with my intent for this mod. It's just a name that someone gave for the original purpose for this piece. It doesn't mean you have to use it that way. If so, then we'd all be driving appliances right now. Simply put, here's why I did it.

1. It looks good.
2. It weighs less.
3. Provides additional cooling to oil cooler

See, I don't even have brake cooling in there. I'm not loaded rich and I can't afford tracking my one and only fun car. It's got the stock brakes. Therefore it makes no sense for me to cut up the car and weigh it down with additional air ducting for the benefit of cooling the brakes which will never approach their stopping limits? I do enjoy it on the road though and I'm fine with that, at least for this chapter in my life.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
Replace the backing plates with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2713307649...84.m1423.l2649
Yikes, thats a silly price for such a simple bit of FG. Think I'll lay up my own.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robt964
Yikes, thats a silly price for such a simple bit of FG. Think I'll lay up my own.
It is indeed mad, but I have not seen them anywhere before

I guessed you may make your own
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM
orp73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi,

This may/not help:

Kit from FVD Brombacher which I've bought (but not fitted yet) part no. FVD 100 180 964/965 Brake Air Inlets (without foglights). They also sell with foglights. These parts are identical to the parts Techart (used to?) sell.

I have also bought new wheelarch liners to make a nice job of it as it means cutting a section out of the arches to fit the air-pipe connecting flanges (see top photo - at the top) which direct airflow onto the deflectors.

Cheers,
Paul

This is the kit I had fitted
Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 AM
orp73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
Flippin heck, chill out bud. Was only offering an opinion based on hanging around these cars for 6 years.

I happen to like the "look" of the ducts and presumed that was the reason other people fitted them.

apologies, was not meant too sound as it possibly did
Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

On my 968 CS the previous owner installed ducting with proper blanking plates on the discs, unfortunately the open ends of the hoses are a less elegant solution, just cable tied to the grille in the lower bumper section. The route back from the foglights on a 968 has more stuff in the way ! It is, however effective.

On my 964RS I have the FVD kit, which doesn't use disc blanking plates, just an additional "deflector". To be honest I have never seen blanking plates used in a 964 application - I'd love to see if anyone produces them. I would guess, given the discs are the same size, the blanking plates on my 968CS could be adapted for 964 use - however clearance in the wheel-well is tighter and I'm not sure there is really space to route the hose to the arch liner without the wheel fouling it ?????

That said, with this current set-up, with the dust shields removed, SRF fluid and Pagid RS29s, I have not experienced brake fade even after heavy track use.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

i wonder if my dust shields are part of the problem .. I have stock (maybe too small) calipers, SRF&RS29s too ... or am I breaking too much

Quick Reply: Brake Ducts, REALLY????