robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ugggh - pictures like that bring back memories
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you hear that Nick is being flown out to Dubai?

Some 911nut wants him to have a look at his cars...
Hi Frank,

Such is the power of Rennlist etc! I think I may know who that could be, I have some pm chat (on the Pelican channel) with him in the past and he has links here in London.

Happy days.

Where's the pics Stu????

Best,
Paul
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice on the oil leaks.
As you can see the thermostat housing and everything around it is covered in thick oil.
From what I can see, most of the hoses seem to be leaking.
We've sprayed the area with degreaser and high pressure hosed it off, so clean now, but the only way around this is to remove the tank and refurb and replace the hoses.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I need some advice on the oil leaks. As you can see the thermostat housing and everything around it is covered in thick oil. From what I can see, most of the hoses seem to be leaking. We've sprayed the area with degreaser and high pressure hosed it off, so clean now, but the only way around this is to remove the tank and refurb and replace the hoses.
Been there done that. Best idea is to replace all. The three long lines are expensive but the rest aren't too bad. You may want to check your oil cooler at the same time. Mine was caked with oil on the fins.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

There is also a leak at the oil cooler. For now we will clean this and try tightening the fitting and see if that stops the leak as it seems to be very minor.
Ideally I'd like to strip it all out and refurb, but I'm worried I'll run out of time. If tightening the fitting doesn't work and a new hose is required, it's coming out!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Shots of the existing brake and suspension set up.
From what the previous owner has told me, the discs are non standard, but I don't know about the callipers.
Can anyone identify them?
I want to get the geometry checked and probably lower the car a few mm. At the moment I'm planning on using JZM. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The front fan temp sensor has an alloy washer behind that corrodes, I would check this as its likely to be what is causing the leak. It comes out easy and you will not spill any oil. The oil tank and thermostat is a bit more difficult, if its all clean then run the car to hot so the stat is open and see if you can ID which hose is leaking.
The brake calipers are standard C2, the discs are normal size but drilled so not OE
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Looking good Stu. I've got some C4 rear calipers that are in good condition if you're interested (I've got the fronts too but you've got those!).

Centre Gravity seem to be the accepted best in suspension setups but perhaps for us mere mortals a decent indy like JZM should be ok. I use Jaz in Wembley, which I know is not far from you when you're in the UK, and they have a lot of racing experience, which is no bad thing when setting up suspension even for road use.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Will pull out both the tank and rad and replace all the hose, it makes sense and get the bumpers off too. Spotted a few rust spots under the shark fins. Very minor and easy to treat. I've also found that the side skirts and fins have rubbed through the paint, so that will get done too.
Someone recently started a thread asking if anyone had their lower section of side skirt and bumpers painted to match the car rather than Black and I've decided to do it.

So jobs for next week.
Oil tank and Rad out and refurbished and new hoses.
Remove bumpers, and paint
Refurb all support brackets for them and the Side skirts
Remove and clean up rear light cluster.

Last edited by STUARTQ; 01-16-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Will pull out both the tank and rad and replace all the hose, it makes sense and get the bumpers off too. Spotted a few rust spots under the shark fins. Very minor and easy to treat. I've also found that the side skirts and fins have rubbed through the paint, so that will get done too. Someone recently started a thread asking if anyone had their lower section of side skirt and bumpers painted to match the car rather than Black and I've decided to do it. So jobs for next week. Oil tank and Rad out and refurbished and new hoses.
Good decision. Mine were all past their best and I now have confidence to take the car on the track knowing that my cooling system is as good as it was when it left the factory. The risk with leaks is very real given the oil would leak out in front of the rear tyre from the system on that side of the car.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robt964
ugggh - pictures like that bring back memories
Sorry Rob, didn't mean to make you feel sick!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha, I'd do it all again. In fact if you lived closer I'd pop over and help
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM
9six4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a leak at the oil cooler. For now we will clean this and try tightening the fitting and see if that stops the leak as it seems to be very minor.
Ideally I'd like to strip it all out and refurb, but I'm worried I'll run out of time. If tightening the fitting doesn't work and a new hose is required, it's coming out!
My oil cooler fittings/lines have similar weeping. I'm just starting the process of replacing all of my oil lines due to similar issues, well maybe not as bad!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9six4
My oil cooler fittings/lines have similar weeping. I'm just starting the process of replacing all of my oil lines due to similar issues, well maybe not as bad!
I was just reading your thread! A few useful tips etc.

Rob,
The car is in Stanmore! Not so far from Acton

Stan,
What is the difference between C4 & C2 rear callipers?

Quick Reply: 964, The slippery slope!