Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best indy in the Northeast region

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I used Irek at CIM Motorsports. 1/2 mile away from Woodbury Commons. They have buses that take you there so it can be convenient in that regard. Also was customer at Dan Jacobs, Rennwerke, Morton Competition in Stamford and CIM. Prices and service vary.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I had seen Morton competition when I lived in Stamford but they didn't look like a real shop. Seemed more like a private company. Were they good? Do they offer real services?

Last edited by Goughary; 06-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by sonett43
seems the guys at ROCS in belleville, NJ are big into 964's and 993's....plus others, worth looking into if you prefer to get work done on this side of the river.
I thought I knew every indy in the area but I never heard of these guys.

You have some of the top mechanics available in the US within a 100 mile radius of NYC. Many to choose from all have their own specialty and apeal. It depends on what you are looking to have done.

I agree with Dan as being one of the best. You also have Will at Precision Motorsports racing now in Long Valley. Rick at DeMan Motorsports in Blauvelt NY, Bob in Garfield from Europerf/Stable enegries, Gene at Autohaus now located behind Rob Francis in Peapack, Shade tree located behind High Marques in Morristown, Tony Henderson in Pompton Lakes at International Motorsport along with Paul and John at Protosport in Pompton Plains. Just to name a few.

Depending on proximity you can find someone to fit your needs and budget. All are good for what they do and as I always suggest before you make an appointment call and speak with them and check out their shop. More times than not the service you receive is a result of your relationship with the mechanic.

I have used just about all of them at one time or another. Always happy with the work done but I have settled on Protosport for several reasons and I am finding more and more are using them as well. If you give any of them a call let them know I suggested them.

Best luck
Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Caymanman1970
Thanks! Would like to find a place that will also store the car as parking is killer by me. The places I have called have kind of laughed which I was expecting. By the way how do you start a thread? I see there are some people with a wild amount of posts and they seem to have car businesses also so weary of taking their advice obviously. I guess you get that online. Lot of info here though and nice pics a like it better than the six speed site. I am new to Porsche or relatively new so looking for a point in right direction.
Hello,

Give us a call, we have onsite storage as well as some of the best Porsche service techs in the area.. full in-house Porsche only body shop in our 25,000 sq. ft. Porsche only facility..
Thanks

Rick DeMan

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Not everyone has a good experience with Dan Jacobs
Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Great shop; Cheech is a good guy and very knowledgeable.

I have to give a strong second to this. I have owned my 964 for 16 years and 60k miles and have used 3 great indy shops to maintain it as I have moved around the country due to work requirements. When I moved to Greenwich, CT, I was told that Rennwerke is "the Mecca" for air-cooled Porsches in the Westchester/Fairfield County area. Of course, I was skeptical. However, my 964 was due for a valve adjustment, so I paid them a visit. Their reputation turned out to be accurate. Cheech works on Jerry Seinfeld's Porsches and, at any given time, there are at least 30 air-cooled 911s in for service there, along with several "outlaw" 356s, track-oriented 911s of every type, and other interesting examples of Zuffenhausen's finest.
Although it's in a pretty rough industrial area, if you're an air-cooled Porsche enthusiast in the Metro-NY area, you owe yourself a visit to their shop.

What I really like about Rennwerke is that, like the indy that I used in DC (Jose Herceq at Autobahn Service in Fairfax. VA), they use a "holistic" approach in servicing 911s, in which they use their vast knowledge about these cars and proactively fix known issues in your car before they become problems. They have been doing this for so long that they truly have seen everything that could go wrong with an air-cooled 911. So, rather than paying to educate someone else to get up the learning curve, you can just bring your car to Rennwerke and cut to the chase. In my experience, this kind of approach is the key to having a reliable air-cooled 911 that you can depend upon - otherwise, you will spend your life chasing the latest issue that pops up and burn time bringing it to and from the shop and waiting for parts to arrive.

From a logistics perspective, Rennwerke is quite good if you live in Westchester or Fairfield County and work in NYC. Whenever my 964 needs service, I drive it to Rennwerke (at the end of 287 in Elmsford, NY, near the Tappan Zee (25 minutes from Greenwich), and they drop me off at the Metro North/Tarrytown train station (they take my Metro North/Greenwich monthly pass, it's about 40 minutes to Grand Central, and there is a nice view of the Hudson on the trip going in)). Picking up the car is the reverse - I take the express train from Grand Central to Tarrytown and call Cheech and he sends sometime to pick me up at the station. As these things go, it's pretty painless.

[[no affiliation with Rennwerke]]

Last edited by JJJMCD; 06-30-2014 at 01:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Not everyone has a good experience with Dan Jacobs
Care to elaborate? You seem to be in the minority.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

K964,

Sent you a PM. Suffice it to say, I went out of my way because of the rep you mentioned and that it ended up as one of the worst experience I have had. I would never for any reason go back to them.

Now this is just my experience, but it sucked...

Ray

Quick Reply: Best indy in the Northeast region