Sponsored by:

1994 Speedster Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
ellisdenos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 Speedster Top Issue

'm looking for a 1994 speedster and have read there is a problem with convertible top not latching properly and overall fit. does anyone know if this problem has been rectified? ellisdenos1926@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2013, 04:40 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are looking for one or at one? Considering the rarity I probably would not be overly concerned about this. If it was a "known" issue it would be pretty far down the list as far as a deciding factor on purchase goes.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM
ellisdenos
Rennlist Member

Im looking for one and at one as well, Thank you Ellis
Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am lucky enough to have owned a 94 Speedster from new and I have never had an issue with the top. I never heard of any issues. It still works great and is resting comfortably for the winter.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche doesn't actually consider it a top but rather an interior protection.
They seal reasonably well but if you are looking a something water and wind "proof", this top isn't it.
The skins shrink and stretch depending on temperature but a good interior shop can do some things to make it as good as it will get.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RAASpeedster
I am lucky enough to have owned a 94 Speedster from new and I have never had an issue with the top. I never heard of any issues. It still works great and is resting comfortably for the winter.
that's amazing RAA ... would love to hear/see more (sorry OP - slightly OT)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
ellisdenos
Rennlist Member

does the top have exsessive wind noise like Ive read, would you consider selling your speedster
Thank you
Ellis
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure on the '94 but on the '89 the top is referred to as an 'emergency top' to be used if you got caught in the rain. Why would you own a Speedster and drive with the top on? One friend with an '89 has never had his on, and on my Speedster longhood build I don't have a top.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fit and finish on the 94 top on my car is adequate at best. For instance, we know that my top has never been removed looking at the seals and nuts/bolts, but it is clearly not aligned and provides a 1/2" gap around the door windows on each side.

I think Group911's post correctly assesses the intent of the top. Best advice is to take it to a top restoration expert to see what can be done if needed. From what I see, most of these cars never see rain and sit in collections at this point.

-B

Last edited by blake; 01-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
ellisdenos
Rennlist Member

Thank you i appreciate the advice
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I used to own a 94 Speedster.

The additional manual that comes with the Speedster clearly states that the tops intended use is strictly for protecting the interior if you get caught in the rain. I didn’t have any issues with the top but I kept in mind that the fit, wind noise, weather protection etc was nowhere near that of a regular cab. There were two clips that the stretch loops wrapped around when the top was up which broke twice, back when I had my Speedie they were cheap parts which took my local dealer a few days to get me each time. They break when you forget to unwrap the stretch loops and try to put the top up. The stretch loops just pull a section on the side of the top inwards when folding it. My only recommendation is to be careful with the rear window section as it scratches easily and if it’s not stored properly you will develop marks from folding and unfolding. The fitment and the seal is what it was intended to be but its not anywhere near perfect. There is wind noise and there are the funky thin window seals and the odd shape of the front windows, especially in the top front corners of the windows. I used to drive it in the winter and although it keeps the wind out for the most part, the top is pretty thin with no headliner or inside liner. I got caught in the rain once and it did the job well enough to get me home.

Sad to say that car was stolen out of my garage after about 2 years and 10k miles of ownership.

Quick Reply: 1994 Speedster Top Issue