Heater/AC Controls

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater/AC Controls

It's a little cool here today in Charlotte, NC, so for the first time I decided to use the climate control in my newly acquired 1992 964. Heat worked just fine, but for the first time I noticed there were two switches with snow flakes for the A/C. I didn't remember my '90 having two snowflake switches, so I checked my owner's manual when I got home. It showed only one A/C snowflake switch, so I'm guessing I don't have the original manual for my car. Can anyone tell me what these two switches do...the difference between the big snowflake and the little one? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

You've got a 993 type Climate Control Unit. There's no difference in operation from the normal 964 unit, other than that the car wiring needs some modification to get it to work properly. I guess this is already done in your car.
The big snowflake button is a shortcut for A/C compressor enable, max front fan speed, minimum temperature, mixer servos closed, fresh air servo closed, recirculation flap open, and no air to foot well and defrost nozzles. All this can be set manually too. Details here.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Tore. That certainly clarifies things for me. I bought a '91 964 Targa new in 1991, but it had only one button just like the picture in the owner's manual of my current '92. I've never had a '993, however, so I wasn't aware of the dual snowflake setup. The PO of my '92 must have made this modification. Thanks again. On another note, since I sold my "Hammer" years ago, I recently purchased your scan tool interface for my newly acquired 964. It was a big help to me in tracking down and correcting some issues causing fault indicators on the dash to light up. Thanks yet again.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC Controls