aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving this build <3
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what to do next... 3.8 with ITBs or turbo...

I've always said I was gonna keep it NA, but it would be a lot of fun to really hang with my friends in the higher speed stuff. Was traveling with a all 500whp cara this past Sunday. Even with the regear it wasn't easy. The factory 5 speed I wouldn't have stood a chance.

3.8 with individual throttle bodies would sound like The voice of God as far as I'm concerned, but it's a lotta scratch for probably short gains. Turbo isn't exactly cheap, though I assume less or similar money for bigger gains. Issue is losing the purity that comes with a NA motor. I've owned several turbo cars, which were fun.. Not sure it's the feel I'm after, but the power is addictive. My dentist ( insert pcar joke) has a 964 3.3T swapped cab. I know it's old tech so it's a tough comparison. Car is very fast even in its current detuned state, but has tons of old school turbo lag.
Im also not really sure what either will ultimately cost me.
Am I wrong to discount supercharging? Owned two supercharged lotus before. Magical cars but that motor/trans sucks. Was all about the blower. I don't really want that to happen here either. Whatever power adder it needs to compliment the motor and sound, not become the star of the show

Anyone care to weigh in?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a turbo will solve your issue. I've never driven a car with an aftermarket turbo setup that I've enjoyed and money goes fast when trying to solve turbo issues.

I think you need a Rothsport ITB kit, 993 heads, motec, and all the necessary pieces to increase your rpm range. It's going to cost you, but you will have instant linear power that you can use and nothing beats taking your car above 7k rpm range.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
I don't think a turbo will solve your issue. I've never driven a car with an aftermarket turbo setup that I've enjoyed and money goes fast when trying to solve turbo issues. I think you need a Rothsport ITB kit, 993 heads, motec, and all the necessary pieces to increase your rpm range. It's going to cost you, but you will have instant linear power that you can use and nothing beats taking your car above 7k rpm range.
Would also caution on turbocharging current engine unless you find someone who has done it successfully many times. Key word being success. Have heard a few turbo and supercharging nightmares to original NA motors.

Either turbo or a NA build will be expensive.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jjm,

Give Mark at Exotech in Plaistow, NH a call. His 964 race car is supercharged. He might be able to provide some valuable insight. He does a lot of 964 / 993 cars so well versed in these engines.

I say go with a 4.0 build!!

Also, don't tear apart your freshly rebuilt engine! It might be beneficial for you to trade your rebuilt engine to someone here that has an engine in need of an overhaul. I'm not sure what the deal would look like, but I can't imagine there isn't someone who would give you their engine plus a nice fat check to put towards your new engine build. Just a thought.

Lee
Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the insight. I agree turbo'ing a NA motor is difficult to get right.
I would like the chance to get a ride in a supercharged car. My motor is fresh, but it's a known starting point. Lots to consider. Anyone else care to weigh in? Would love to hear from anyone who has done an itb setup.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Looks like it's time to call Steve Weiner!
http://rennsportsystems.com/consulti...ce-consulting/
Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is sitting with Chris Carrol at Turbokraft. He is one of the best turbo builders in the country.

He really knows his stuff and the workmanship is amazing. I am learning the efforts they put into their builds and all the little details they do is way above and beyond what I thought they were going to do.

I recommend you give him a call.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Been enjoying the car lately and even went to Porsche day at the larz Anderson museum in Brookline Ma. I'm a member but hardly ever make it over there. Had a local collector take a serious interest in my car, so it's getting a ppi done on Thursday. I wasn't looking to sell, but if the $$ makes sense, I might just
Meanwhile The car must know something is up. I brought it in to be check out just to make sure it presents well, and wouldnt you know it, I have issues.
What I thought was my rotors, actually
Turns out to be shot control arm bushings. I realize that replacement bushing are available, but for the cost + labor, new control arms isn't much more money. My oil cooler is also leaking. That's just annoying as it was cleaned and pressure tested when I had all the lines replaced earlier this year. So add a new oil cooler to the bill as well
Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

The car is speaking to you. It doesn't want you to let it go. The two of you have been through so much. Send it to Turbokraft and let him work his magic. I think after that you will have an irreplaceable car!

If you do sell, is a 965 in your future?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:31 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I just started visiting the 964 forum. I hope your daily driving in the NE allows you to keep it in good condition- your new Porche is so beautiful. Unlike you I wont drive my Porches in the rain or crap, but my hats off to you for DD it.
Love the bike, I just bought a 2015 Thruxton(English green with gold stiping) , just eliminated the rear fender with the old school Lucas red tail light, swapped the rear blinkers with the smoked small ones, and replaced the chain and sproket gard with black ones from British customs.
All the best with 964 and bike.
Todd
Old 09-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

The hits new coming. I swear with the upcoming ppi, the car knows it might be on its way out and is fighting back.

New control arms fixed 90% of the shimmy but still have to chase down that last bit. Having the wheels rebalanced to start.
Brand new oil cooler is in, fresh oil change to round that out.
Had an intermittent issue with the headlights not coming on right away. Replaced the switch but of course that wasn't he issue. Now replacing the turn signal stalk to the tune of 450.00. Awesome.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

You can't make this stuff up. On my way to the ppi I had a massive blowout on the highway. Long story short, had all 4 wheels rebuilt and two new tires in the rear. Managed to get it done in just a few days which is nice, so I got a full day of driving and events in.

Monday on the tow truck and This morning at the "art of the automobile" event in Copley Plaza-
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Quick shot from a local photographer as we started setting up yesterday

http://www.skolenimation.com/
Old 10-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Originally Posted by Jjm4life