Sponsored by:

me and my 964: an intro

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
sorry to hear man. gotta ask. what was he backing up for in the first place?
He was attempting to parallel park in front of a fire hydrant. His daughter was in town for a summer program at a nearby university. I just so happened to be behind him when he realized the hotel he had been circling the block trying to find was right next to him.

Still waiting on the insurance appraisal. Parts alone i figure 5k.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugghh! So, sorry to hear about your incident. What is it with the rash of incidents to our 64's! Makes me worry about me driving mine almost daily, but dang I enjoy every moment. Looking forward to your beauty back on the asphalt.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

another rant. just trying to think through my options here. thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

so far its a 6k accident. probably wont go up too much more.

im in a tough spot. financially, ive already overspent on the car. a concourse level 964 is worth like 45k max today. obviously the turbo RSA RS and Speedster are in another category.

so finances aside. heres where im at-

option 1. take the insurance money and run. fix what needs to be fixed, and just drive the damn thing. its a driver condiiton car, not a concourse car. love it for what it is, accept its flaws. spend the $$ elsewhere.. next up being brakes and 993gt evo uprights

option 2. option 1 + the right fender and blending the door. so this means essentially the entire front end is being sprayed through the doors. 1/2 3/4 of the car will be brand new, but not perfect. the car currently has bad tape lines and overspray on some trim in places. other spots have trim that has snunk over the years, and there are some very thing paint spots, especially in the roof. theres also some typical bubbling along the windshield by the drivers side.
this option would probably be a few grand on top of the insurance bill. i wouldnt bother with the rust issues just yet.

option 3- full on restoration. order all new trim and gaskets, glass out repsray or color change. at this point changing color doesnt even matter as its all being done. either way i wont drop the motor as a black engine bay is not a problem for me no matter what color i choose. do all the way past the door jams and have a totally painted correct car.
we are talking 12-15k in addition to the insurance claim. could be more . if i go this route, its getting a new color. id be wasting my time if i didnt choose a new color. if i got back a black car, id be a little let down.
colors i currently want are mexico blue, mint green, Grand Prix white, unnamed dark non-metallic gray. the white and gray are nice because i can always accent them with the jellybean colors in terms of details.. think graphics, calipers, roll bar.. that type of stuff. mexico blue mint green or any other color are kinda long term commitments. though i do love those colors.
and then its obviously on to address the brakes ect. so those aren't off the table either.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

1 or 3, 2 seems like a waste since 3 would have to be done eventually either way.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with option 3.

Why?
Doesn't sound like you'd be happy with option 1.
A rust free car look good up close and will help you sleep better.
Mexico blue looks good from anywhere, can be easily seen in traffic significantly reducing the chance of being hit again.

Hopefully you can get more than $6k through your insurance and get some quotes that are better than $12 - 15k to make the car right for you.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just read all 18 pages of "the trials and tribulations of JJM".

Just when I thought things were going your way with the new BBS, BOOM! A truck backs into you.

Talk about a bad run of luck.

Re the repairs, I'd go option 3 but a colour change is an even bigger deal, so we'll call that option 4. Doing option 4 properly means dropping the motor, pulling the suspension etc etc ETC

Black is a great colour, and with originality in mind, is the way to go I reckon.

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
a concourse level 964 is worth like 45k max today
which is where C4s start at here (C2s are even more...assuming you can even find one in the first place).

p.s love the cafe racer

Last edited by JV911; 08-06-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

made a decision on paint work. bascially respraying the entire front end, and i will go into more detail on it in the coming years. right now a proper respray isnt in the budget. ive spent far too much on this car this year. while i wait on a new fender from germany, a few goodies have been ordered

H4 light conversion
3.8rs splitters
a "new" oem spoiler that i found through dc auto
hood crest from the "summer special 2.0" thread

now for the tough part. the mirrors are off. do i go back to flags, pony up from aero mirrors, or do the 935 mirrors. im curious how those attach and just how bad is the visibility? anyone with imput or a pic from the drivers seat would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Still don't have my car, but there had been progress. Fender took nearly a month from Germany. Everything us in paint now. Man do i miss my car, but my bike has been seeing a ton of use. which is nice
Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Almost there

Last edited by Jjm4life; 09-12-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:48 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to see it coming back together. I think you're going about things the right way
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
...now for the tough part. the mirrors are off. do i go back to flags, pony up from aero mirrors, or do the 935 mirrors. im curious how those attach and just how bad is the visibility? anyone with imput or a pic from the drivers seat would be greatly appreciated.
What did you decide on the mirrors? I don't have 935 mirrors, but my Vitaloni Sebring mirrors are basically the same size...

With convex mirrors, rearward visibility is fine. I grew up racing road bicycles, so I glance at the mirrors as I turn my head to check conditions. You ride motorcycles, so I'm sure you're trained just the same. Small mirrors will be fine.

Because I like pictures...

Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Ended up staying with the flags for now. When i go for the full respray, and most likely color change I'll come back to that .

Next thing on the list is brakes and suspension. I think im gonna park it for the winter. I'll have the bbs refinished too
Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Well she's on her way to eurotech to have the h4s installed and then it's done.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Man does it feel good to be behind the wheel again. Unfortunately the new paint makes everything else look crap. But i can live with it for now.
3.8 rs splitters look decent but far from perfect.
H4 headlights are so much better looking than h5.
Refinished hood crest from the "summer special 2.0" sale.
" new" factory spoiler, repainted

Old 09-18-2014, 12:14 AM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff
Loving the e88's on your car

Quick Reply: me and my 964: an intro