Speedster Hump for 964 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
greygooser
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedster Hump for 964 Cab

Hello all-
I have a 1992 964 Cab and I cannot seem to find the answer to this question. I understand that several people have converted their Cab to the Speedster with the purchase of the doors, windshield, etc. I however, am only interested in a better looking cover that the canvas one.

Has anyone done this? Can you tell me if I need to remove the soft top and innards entirely, or can I simply unbolt or unhook it, allowing it to stay under the Speedster humps? I have read that some people think it would fit (but be tight), but others say I would have to remove the soft top assembly. Has anyone actually tried this?
Here is a link to the item from RennSpeed (no affiliation) Speedster Hump

I imagine a purist would think that this change would not be suitable without doing a full speedster conversion, but frankly that is out of my price range. If I can "make it work", I'd really like to cover up the convertible top with something better looking.

I hope someone can give me a definitive answer to this, as I have only seen the humps on a fully converted speedster. Thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: I looked for this about 1.5 - 2 years ago, and I recall finding a vendor somewhere in Europe that sold humps that fit over the cab (ie not the original speedster humps) It might have been http://www.stuttgart.co.uk/ , but currently that domain is not active. Any insight into that would be great too.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

d.moris in France sell them
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g60pops
d.moris in France sell them
http://www.d-moris-equipments.com/ha...--photos-.html
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good to me. i don't believe many of us are 100% purists around here. sure we appreciate the perfect examples, but we appreciate these cars and people who want to individualize them, and we pretty much all do.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Would love it also
Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok, here is the bottom line. You can not put the offered Speedster Hump on a standard 964 Cab with out removing the total cab top and brackets. The problem is in the design of the cab top which does not allow the Speedster Hump to fit when it is folded down. The total cab top can be removed by in bolting 6 Allen bolts and 6 nuts that hold it on. Then you need to unbolt 4 Allen screws ( 2 from each side) on the gear arms which raise and lower the top. Once the top is removed you can fit the speedster hump. You will need to obtain the attaching hardware and /or fabricate your own. Now you have a major issue though- as you have a good looking car but "NO TOP". You can replace the total cab top each time, but this takes about a half day with fitting and alignment. An option to consider is to make a smaller custom convertible top that would work with the speedster hump. Here things can get interesting. If you have more questions or want pics of how to remove the total cab top let me know.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Ok, here is the bottom line. You can not put the offered Speedster Hump on a standard 964 Cab with out removing the total cab top and brackets. The problem is in the design of the cab top which does not allow the Speedster Hump to fit when it is folded down. The total cab top can be removed by in bolting 6 Allen bolts and 6 nuts that hold it on. Then you need to unbolt 4 Allen screws ( 2 from each side) on the gear arms which raise and lower the top. Once the top is removed you can fit the speedster hump. You will need to obtain the attaching hardware and /or fabricate your own. Now you have a major issue though- as you have a good looking car but "NO TOP". You can replace the total cab top each time, but this takes about a half day with fitting and alignment. An option to consider is to make a smaller custom convertible top that would work with the speedster hump. Here things can get interesting. If you have more questions or want pics of how to remove the total cab top let me know.
Gus, any update on the hardtop install?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 PM
greygooser
Cruisin'

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. Whether I remove the conv top and install the Speedster hump or get that d.moris piece, I will be sure to follow up with pictures (or maybe a question or two if I get stuck)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM
greygooser
Cruisin'

Also one more question. Does the D. Moris speedster hump differ from the factory one, or does it also require removing the soft top?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

It also requires removing the top.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM
greygooser
Cruisin'

In case anyone is interested, I have heard back from D. Moris. For just the Cabrio Beach cover, the cost is 1064 Euros - an apparent limited time 20% discount to make it 851.2 Euros. Add another 370 for transportation a nearby airport (Boston) and its 1221.2 plus tax, or roughly $1640 USD + tax.

I'm inquiring as to what the taxes will be, but I'm also considering the piece I linked in the OP. It seems extremely similar, but will cost only $895 shipped to my door. Does anyone think the D. Moris piece is worth the extra cost?

Also I will attach the D. Moris price list if anyone is curious about other 964 pieces they sell.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
49. 911 HARDTOPS DEC.10 ENG.pdf (337.1 KB, 325 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Think the D. Morris Beach cover is very different from the stock - and if you include all the conversions more expensive than what you can get from a fiberglass shop her in the US . But - I don't knwo what comes with the hump - is it jus the shell or are there any attachment fittings ???
In the US look at - I.E> - www.Rennspeed.com -
MS-964-03 $750.00 964 Speedster Hump
Duplicate of factory 94 964 Speedster rear clam shell with all factory threaded mounting points.

But, in looking at the Hard top option - that appears to be a good price based on the fun I am having getting mine to fit and the finish process. But, again what comes with the top - is glass included or do you have to add, is the interior finished, Etc.??? I like the look of the D. Moris hardtop, but not the Beach cover
Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Type http://www.rennspd.com/ instead. The above mentioned link is something different.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM
greygooser
Cruisin'

I'm also considering this one. The seller said it will cost 275 euro for seafreight to boston, including VAT, but exclude customs clearance, duties, taxes. I'm considering it because it comes painted black, which is my preference (to essentially make it a hard version of the regular boot cover).
Anyone know how much a decent shop would charge to paint the one from Rennspeed a flat black? Seems like a pretty simple job, I assume maybe $150ish.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

greygooser thanks for the d.moris pricelist.
Have you decided which hump you are getting?

Quick Reply: Speedster Hump for 964 Cab