KTS 300/Bosch Hammer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:46 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Post KTS 300/Bosch Hammer

I just missed picking up one. The threads on this are all over a year old, so it is time to start anew. Anyone have one they can sell, or know where to find one?
Old 07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: KTS 300/Bosch Hammer

Originally posted by springer3
Anyone have one they can sell, or know where to find one?
Check eBay, I saw one a week ago for approx. $1400. It might be gone by now, but it does come up ever so often.

Regards,
Old 07-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take care when purchasing Hammers on ebay. The basic hammer is the same for all autos. It is the software modules and the adapters for the 964 that you also need. The Porsche factory destroyed all their hammers (crushed) when they switched to the new KTS500 system. BMW did the same. Opel I believe sold their stuff off. Purchasing an Opel set up hammer is a wasteof time and money. Bosch no longer support the hammer so if you need software or anything, bad luck. You need to have theunit in your hand to check all these things. Once purchased there is nothing you can do except cry about your loss. Failed business auctions is a more reliable source of hammers but again attend and inspect in person.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-16-2003, 12:22 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Be careful. A guy on the 993 board bought one recently, and found that the software on it was not the proper software to work on his car. He had a difficult time finding the appropriate software, and then it cost him an additional $4xx. Make sure if you are buying one, you know what version software update it has, and find out before hand what version you need for your model year.

Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:33 AM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the guy from the 993 board that ViperBob is referring to. Everything he says is true. I disagree with Adrian's statement that you can't get the software modules any longer. I bought a Version 8.0 software module from Porsche a couple of weeks ago. The dealer said the computer showed that there were 24 remaining in Germany. I guess there's 23 now. I understand that once those 23 are sold, Porsche will no longer supply them.

Cheers, Rob.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Rob,
Here in Europe to the best of my knowledge Porsche have never offered any Bosch test equipment for sale to private individuals. Bosch will only deal with approved purchasers signed off on in this case by Porsche.
The statement I gave on my post was given to me when Porsche converted to the KTS500 system and I was able through my company to access Bosch and their test equipment department. I am told that not only software modules for the 964 are no longer available but neither are any of the adapter cables, adapters and there is no customer support for the product either. Are you in this case acting as a repairer or as a private individual. Obviously the rules applied in the USA are very different to Europe. Mind you I have heard of many people in the USA not getting access to any KTS300 equipment or support from Bosch.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Last edited by Adrian; 07-20-2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian:

I am just a private individual, a lawyer actually. I work on the car for fun. I live about 8 hours away from the nearest Porsche dealer, so having the KTS 301 may prove cost effective in the long run, as I plan to keep the car forever.

The combination of your statement that Porsche no longer sells the software module for the 964 and the fact that I was able to buy a version 8.0 software module for my 96 993 makes me wonder if the version 8.0 software will work on everything that the version 7.0 software will. The reason I ask is that I have someone who wants to buy the version 7.0 software I just replaced with the 8.0 software. If the 8.0 software will do everything the 7.0 software will do and then some, I will sell the 7.0 software. Otherwise, I will not. If anyone knows, I really would appreciate their help. Thanks, Rob.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Rob,
I do not know. All I know is that the 96 993 is an OBD II system (USA only) and the 964 and 95 993s are OBD I systems. You would have to plug the hammer into say a 964 and see what happens.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Cptdraco13
1st Gear

I own a service shop in CA, and I have a '91 964 that needs to have the diff locks bled. After reading this and seeing how hard it is to find one of these tools nowadays, I was wondering if anyone knew how I might do it without the tool. I will track one down if I have to but I'm worried I will never need it again. :P any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a quick search with a few links as below ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...iff-locks.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-an-89-c4.html

I am definately no mechanic but maybe this ...

quote: "Could always get them to do it by using the C4 switch on the lower dash - that's what I did last weekend when I did mine. Turn it to the left, crack bleed valve, when fluid stops close valve. Cycle the switch to the right then back left again and repeat. Takes about 20 turns to do each of the locks, but works."
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cptdraco13
I own a service shop in CA, and I have a '91 964 that needs to have the diff locks bled. After reading this and seeing how hard it is to find one of these tools nowadays, I was wondering if anyone knew how I might do it without the tool. I will track one down if I have to but I'm worried I will never need it again. :P any help would be appreciated.
You can cycle the diff locks by running power to the pins in the trunk connector

Whe I had my car serviced about 9 months ago I wanted all fluids changed but the software my mechanic used woudlnt open the diff locks

He took the connector off (by the spare wheel well) ran 12 volts to the appropriate pins I dont recall whether we used the console swith as well) whilst opening the connection on the locks themselves

Seemed to work fine

Quick Reply: KTS 300/Bosch Hammer