Sponsored by:

Rear heater blower question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heater blower question

My rear heater blower started making a grating noise and now the heater has stopped working when I turn the temp dial anywhere but zero degrees! Ive tried replacing the 30amp fuse and knocking the life out the blowers casing to realign the fan, but alas, no joy.
I know I have to face facts, it's dead. But its -2 deg c here at the moment and I don't have the time to strip it down or the finance to have it completely swopped out. But its really difficult to drive at the moment with a window that keeps misting up.
Is there a way I can bypass the rear blower and stop the front blowers from turning off when warm, they don't normally so they must be sensing that the rear blowers not working.

Anyone have any quick, cheap suggestions? Just till I can get the cash together!

Thanks, Kosh
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE/] ……………………the front blowers from turning off when warm, they don't normally so they must be sensing that the rear blowers not working………………………[/QUOTE]

I believe that is correct.

If you can at least get the time to work on it, you may be able to get the fan working by rehabbing the bearings in it, which are usually the problem. I was in a similar financial fix back in the 80s with my 75S when the fan went out. I was able to go to a pick n pull salvage yard and remove windshield wiper motors until I found one with solid brass bearings approximately the same size as the ones in the Porsche fan. With a little filing and sanding, I got a snug fit and the fan worked fine until the car wore out. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 AM
kosh
Advanced

I'm sure somewhere I read that you call pull a relay or something similar which stops the front blowers sensing that the rear one is out and they continue to operate normally. Hours of searching and I can't find this post. Anyone know of such a thing?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can jumper the relay. Here's the thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...=heater+bypass

Quick Reply: Rear heater blower question