Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fathers 92 C4 coupe is now mine... Intro, history, and future plans.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please watch out with the tyres made with patches. These cars are involving, and with patches I would't drive hard. I don't know the quality of patches at your side of the pond (here Europe), but I personally wouldn't be driving at too high speeds with those tyres.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM
R32kid
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for the appreciation and advice

Yes, the tires on there are going to be replaced ASAP, I just needed something other than the 10 year old ones it was rolling around on. I don't plan on going any faster than 75-80 MPH on the way up, no need to rush a wonderful, scenic drive up the California coast

I plan on running winter rubber on the stock 16s, and extreme performance summer on the new Boxster wheels... Any recommendations or suggestions for either one? There aren't many winter options, but endless summer ones. Anyone have experience running Hankook R-S3s? I like the V-12s I had on my BMW.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lovely tale! And what a great person to appreciate the car. Sentimental piecegreat job!

How does it compare to your mk4 golf? Would love to hear your thoughts and feelings a bit more

Norm
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R32kid
extreme performance summer on the new Boxster wheels... Any recommendations or suggestions for either one?
Yokohama AD08 - that is all
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by R32kid
Thanks guys for the appreciation and advice Yes, the tires on there are going to be replaced ASAP, I just needed something other than the 10 year old ones it was rolling around on. I don't plan on going any faster than 75-80 MPH on the way up, no need to rush a wonderful, scenic drive up the California coast I plan on running winter rubber on the stock 16s, and extreme performance summer on the new Boxster wheels... Any recommendations or suggestions for either one? There aren't many winter options, but endless summer ones. Anyone have experience running Hankook R-S3s? I like the V-12s I had on my BMW.
We run Hankook Z221s at the track. Very very nice. I see RS-3 is also called Z222. Wonder if they are a milder version?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Nice story, looking forward to future updates, more photos etc
Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

She looks great! Enjoy the trip and take some pictures for the rest of us Safe Travels.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great story. I wish my father had been able to keep one of his many Porsches for me to receive as a gift. Unfortunately (like your dad) he has had some financial hard times and has since sold off all this toys. It meant I just had to go and buy my own instead.

I REALLY wouldn't drive on those used tires (especially with patching) back up the I-5. There is a lot of 'middle of nowhere' on that route to get stuck on the roadside in. You're taking your own personal safety into question running on old, faulty tires.

If you want a cheap, but decent performance tire option. I'd recommend getting a set of Sumitomo HRTZ-III to put on the Boxster wheels. A whole set should run about $500 or less. I have used them on my 986 and have no complaints. They seem popular in the 993 community too.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
aplus
Intermediate

Fantastic to hear your story and good on your dad for mothballing the car and passing it on to you. Keep the pictures coming.

I really hope that I can keep my 964 to pass on to my children when the time comes. The problem is with 2 boys there is going to be quite a fight over it. I think in the interest of paternal fairness Im going to have to buy a second one to balance the books.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Was your car parked on Northpoint St. in SF at about 3:00 PM today? I think I saw it on my way home. Recognized the wheels. Enjoy it.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
R32kid
Intermediate

Hello all

Unfortunately the Boxster Wheels and tires were just not the right size. The bite on turn in was great, but the ride sucked, and they rubbed like a thai massage.

So I got a set of Hankook V12s to go on the original 16s and the ride is smooth, I can do full lock parking lot turns, and it looks "right"

Now onto the problem from yesterday:

Packed the car full of stuff from work to bring home, and in the process moved my drivers seat quite a way forward to accommodate a TV on the rear seats. Drives out of the city fine, stuck in traffic on the freeway and all of the sudden I get the buzzer accompanied by the PDAS and ABS lights. I take the first exit and pull the car over, and it dies.

After 2 jump starts and 2 jumper cable "charges" I make it home, and literally as I am pulling into my spot I get the "Christmas Tree" and the loud buzzer, as the car dies again.

Recent maintainence includes things listed earlier in this thread, as well as a DME relay I replaced yesterday during this problem. Any advice would be great, so far I have read the following things:

Check brake fluid level - normal
Check hydraulic level - slightly above max when warm.
ABS Relay was inspected roadside- it sounded as if there was something "loose" inside, is that normal?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the battery dead? If so, I'd be checking the voltage from the alternator to see if that's actually working. Should be around 14v with the engine running.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM
R32kid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Is the battery dead? If so, I'd be checking the voltage from the alternator to see if that's actually working. Should be around 14v with the engine running.
Yes the battery is now dead, but was working absolutely fine before the incident. I had the alternator replaced a little over 3 months ago, so I doubt that is the problem, but I can always check it out.

And yes, my car was on north point this week, good eye!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
R32kid
Intermediate

Ok, the quest for a solution continues...

After hooking up the battery to check voltage, I noticed it would bounce around between 11/12V, so I got a new interstate wet cell, and plugged it in, car started up fine.

When I checked the voltage however, the battery would read just over 12V car off and 11V car running, so obviously the alternator (which I will remind you all, was replaced by a master tech from Beverly Hills Porsche 3 months ago) was not charging the battery.

After trouble shooting the problems related to the diff, ABS and 18" wheel problems, Brake fluid, ground connections, etc. I stumbled upon the clock problems...

Now I think this might be it. I do have an airbag warning light illuminated constantly, but no seatbelt light (maybe a dead bulb, dunno)

Will be doing this home repair soon, following the wonderful guide by David Ream.

I just don't understand how the car made it up to SF from LA, 400 miles, and now it dies on the 30 mile trip into the city.

Lastly, the wife is at her wits end with this car. As it is our only vehicle, I am considering getting a cheap runaround to putt around town. Damn I hate fixing this car!

Last edited by R32kid; 03-22-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a beater honda/toyota. Don't let the gremlins of a car that sat for so long discourage you. Once everything is worked out it should be a reliable car that will bring you a lot of joy. These cars do MUCH better when they're driven on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: My Fathers 92 C4 coupe is now mine... Intro, history, and future plans.