Sponsored by:

Engine bay blower noisy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Masher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay blower noisy

The blower in the engine bay (top LHS as you look into the engine bay) became extremely noisy when I ran the car today. I have done a little research and understand this blower often makes noise and can be replaced fairly easily. I understand the replacement part is likely to be a 993 part and need a little modification. This was all in this useful article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ower_motor.htm

My questions:
1. What exactly does this fan do?
2. If it's just for the heating (which I am not using presently) can I pull the fuse and use the car without all the additional noise? If it aids engine cooling clearly this is not the thing to do!
3. Replacement parts - anyone know of a good used one or decent priced source for a replacement in the UK?

I did wonder if a small animal was caught in the engine bay at first!

Thanks as always.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It drives the heat from the exchangers towards the HVAC system which is at the front of the car. If you pull the fuse the front fans will only work when the heating control unit is on the cold setting (blue dot). This is because the rear blower electrics are integrated with the HVAC system.

I think you can unplug the blower and leave the fuse in place but I don't know if that will allow the front fans to still run (albeit with not much heat).
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Masher
Instructor

Ideally I want to use the car this weekend without all the additional noise! I do not need heating so any advice whether I can disconnect the fan and if so the best way would be appreciated. I imagine someone with a stripped out track car may have experience

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of its role is too take some heat away from the engine but that's not critical. Plenty of folk on here have got rid of the blower and put a bypass tube and run with no issues of the engine getting too hot.

So, yes, you can run without it connected either by pulling the fuse or reaching down the side towards the front and unplug it.

ETA You might be best just pulling the fuse for what you want to do because I think that also stops the electrical supply to the resistor that's in the ducting. This gets very hot normally which might not be a good thing if you've no air flowing over it.

Last edited by boxsey911; 08-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Masher
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Part of its role is too take some heat away from the engine but that's not critical. Plenty of folk on here have got rid of the blower and put a bypass tube and run with no issues of the engine getting too hot.

So, yes, you can run without it connected either by pulling the fuse or reaching down the side towards the front and unplug it.

ETA You might be best just pulling the fuse for what you want to do because I think that also stops the electrical supply to the resistor that's in the ducting. This gets very hot normally which might not be a good thing if you've no air flowing over it.
Much appreciated Steve

I will have to use the Dartford crossing this weekend so I hope the queue is short
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The engine bay heater fan has very little to do with engine cooling while running. It's purpose is to push hot air into the cabin when called for and when the car is shot off and engine temp is too..... high, the fan will come on and blow air through the heat exchangers to help with cooling. In all the time I have had my car I have never seen that happen.
You can buy a replacement motor for under $200.00 and you will be back in business.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Masher
Instructor

Now I will be the first to admit I am no engineering genius but sometimes things really get on your whatsits!

Take the fuse out of the car to stop the blower. How hard can it be? Two of the three plastic bolts on the engine bay fuse box just spin in position and don't allow the lid to come off!
I could resort to brute force but then I risk having no fuse box holder... Can anyone help out this hopeless home mechanic? Please

I have unplugged the blower and stopped the noise which I guess is some sort of progress. The fun of older cars
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what it looks like with the lid off. Maybe try with a pair of pliers on the screws and see if you can squeeze on the bolt to make it turn.

Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Masher
Instructor

Thanks. Now I know the thread on the box is metal and harder than the plastic bolt. It helps!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Masher
Instructor

Car was in for MoT today (passed ) so looked to get the fuse box opened up and blower replaced.

Blower:
Replaced but I now have another question. The old one worked when the ignition was switched on and then worked all the time. The replacement has yet to work EXCEPT when I remove the sensor plug on the pipe below it. i.e. the blower does work but my question is WHEN should it work? (was there a fault before or now?)

Fuse box:
Nuts are not plastic - they are plastic heads on metal bolts. Bolts are spinning in the 'captive' nuts so complete new fuse box required.

I guess that's old cars for you!

Quick Reply: Engine bay blower noisy