Sponsored by:

964 Touch up paint question: Guards Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 AM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 964 Touch up paint question: Guards Red

Is the new "Guards Red" the same color of Guards Red that it was back on the 964s?

I need some touch up paint and wondering if I can just grab a stick of regular guards red from the dealership.

They look different to me...
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Another question that is somewhat related...

When you take an orbital buffer with a light grit pad... Should you expect that some paint color residue come off even if you are working on clear coat? (I was working on a spot and there was red on my buffer pad when I was done. I thought that wouldn't happen as long as you weren't through the clear coat)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:49 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ostranjg
Is the new "Guards Red" the same color of Guards Red that it was back on the 964s?

I need some touch up paint and wondering if I can just grab a stick of regular guards red from the dealership.

They look different to me...
I have some but haven't used it. Compare it to a spot on the inside of the trunk. I told them I needed it for a 1991 911. Your original paint may be faded. I don't think they would change the color.

Another question that is somewhat related...

When you take an orbital buffer with a light grit pad... Should you expect that some paint color residue come off even if you are working on clear coat? (I was working on a spot and there was red on my buffer pad when I was done. I thought that wouldn't happen as long as you weren't through the clear coat)
The pad will be red when you're done. The 964 has single stage paint.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Good to know I was worried for a minute.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

Good to know I was worried for a minute.
As far as matching, the color may be the same today as yours was 20 years ago, but i doubt yours is the same as it was 20 years ago.

When buffing, be careful! You will go through the single stage, and watch the corners/edges!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
As far as matching, the color may be the same today as yours was 20 years ago, but i doubt yours is the same as it was 20 years ago.

When buffing, be careful! You will go through the single stage, and watch the corners/edges!
+1 - My cab's paint is very thin in some spots. Eventually, I need a full respray.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I need to go by Atlanta Auto Salon and have them do a thickness test.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
+1 - My cab's paint is very thin in some spots. Eventually, I need a full respray.
Yeah, the guy at the body shop where my car is refuses to buff my car when he details it. Said he will just put a good wax on.

On mine you can see where the paint is worn. Most noticeably the ends of the drip rails.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Yeah I noticed... The paint is off on the very edge of my engine compartment lid. That is why I'm looking for touch up paint.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Are the paint jobs on the newer cars still a single stage paint process? I would assume not...

The parts guy at the Porsche dealership said that the touch up paint comes with the color and the clear coat.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

No, the new paints are a two stage. My cab was in an accident, the body shop said that Glassurit's new paints including Guards Red are two stage. This was back in 2001-2002 time frame.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Do they still make the single stage touch up paint? Or is it just the same things without the clear coat?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

The paint is off on the very edge of my engine compartment lid. That is why I'm looking for touch up paint.
IMO, using the touch up paints with the little brush always look like poop, it comes out too thick, or too thin, or it leaves streaks, etc... They are very hard to control and it never looks right. Best is to go to a body shop and have them do a color match and mix a small can for you. Then, you can carefully airbrush the area you mentioned.

If you don't feel confident, go to your local luxury dealer and ask them who they use for their lot. They always hire some guys to come in and fix nicks, scratches, chips, etc... Some of these guys work magic with an airbrush and you won't be able to tell. Get the name and make a deal with the guy.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:37 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LPMM
IMO, using the touch up paints with the little brush always look like poop, it comes out too thick, or too thin, or it leaves streaks, etc... They are very hard to control and it never looks right. Best is to go to a body shop and have them do a color match and mix a small can for you. Then, you can carefully airbrush the area you mentioned.

If you don't feel confident, go to your local luxury dealer and ask them who they use for their lot. They always hire some guys to come in and fix nicks, scratches, chips, etc... Some of these guys work magic with an airbrush and you won't be able to tell. Get the name and make a deal with the guy.
+1 on this. Or just go behind a luxury dealer and see who is touching up paint. Should be a mobile guy that can squeeze you in, or meet you at home if there is a lot to be done. If there is a porsche store close by I would start there.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LPMM

There is a shop near me where the guy does touch ups and even small spray jobs like bumpers. He looked at a tiny chip on my 964 and said he would fill it with paint and then use a squeegee on it to level it out. I thought that was interesting.

Quick Reply: 964 Touch up paint question: Guards Red