Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 964......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know
There are not many 964's for sale here right now, atleast that I can find. Looking around the country though it seems $25k should buy me something pretty nice, no?
They are both great cars but you really need to drive a 964 to get what everyone is talking about here. Driving one is highly addictive and you quickly start making up reasons to take it out of the garage, funny how going to the corner store to get some milk turns into a 3 hour drive.

Don't be afraid to look nationally, there are enough people and resources on here and Pelican to advise you through the process. Explore all possibilities.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the NSX bug once and owned a very nice dark green type NSX R. Suede Diablo type seats. Mugen intakes. Track tested by Ayrton Senna...hand welded aluminium chassis...fast...reliable...and so freakin' dull I sold it after a month. Give me the whiff of oil and the heart beat speeding up sense of occasion that a modified 964 gives me every time. I want the feel of the real 911 deal and that means air cooled and tweeked. The playstation generation can keep their NSX's...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Like a BOSS!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the NSX (especially Mugen). For a Honda I think it's probably a very raw experience too. However, i would never even think about buying a NSX without I bought a 964 first. The Honda is probably quicker and has a very nice engine, but it just isn't a good modified/sorted 964. As you said, drive both , and maybe start with the Honda. Afterwards drive a nice sorted 964. See which one leaves you with the biggest smile (I'll bet I know the anser, but just experience it for yourself and then you never look back like, what if...) you can only spend the money once.

Also, in a nice looking 964 most car enthousiasts walking on the road while you drive the car seem to have spineless necks like owls (yeah owls have spines, I know).
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also it seems that there are more 4S cars for sale. Dont know if thats because there are more of them or people trying to sell due to awd problems. I had a V70R Volvo and awd systems can have expensive issues with those cars. Currently have a WRX as a daily though and AWD seems to be pretty bullet proof in those cars.

Is the 4S full time awd or does it send power to the front when rears slip?
Worth pointing out that the drive system in the C4 is pretty bullet proof.

Not many issues reported, compared to some other AWD models.

Also the C4S didnt come into production until later production runs of 911s

Chris
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Cody D
Instructor

I owned an NSX for 2-3 years and I'm on my third 964 with several years of ownership, while I owned the NSX my daily driver was a 964 C4 (see avatar), here is my take:

The NSX is such a beautiful car, it's hard for me to choose between the two for looks but for me the NSX wins.

Performance, in stock form neither are really fast, you want fast for cheap buy a 996tt or a Vette. Modified the turbo kits for the NSX are insane these days, hard to beat but I wouldn't want to replace the C30 engine when it blows.

Interior is a tie, the driving position of the NSX is better but the look of the 964 interior is better.

Overall I haven't owned an NSX since 2008 but I keep buying 911's, I've owned a lot of sports cars and I keep coming back to the 964 because it is the best overall package for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

I have registered just to reply in the thread. I have been lurking on the forum for a while but still not a Porsche owner.

I'm in the same boat as you OP, born in 1980 and iconic cars in my youth were the 911, NSX .. and Countach.

Today, the NSX is still a head turner, more than any 964. My girlfriend would notice it and she's not a huge car girl... she would recognize a Porsche but not a 964 vs older vs newer. The NSX still looks like a supercar because it's very low.

Still, aside from the "exotic sportscar" look of the NSX, the rest doesn't appeal to me. I have access to a 1924 Model T if I want people to stare at me (believe me you get more stares than any exotic supercar on the road).

I'm not slowly looking at 964s, not fully decided on which model to choose, probably a convertible (summer car only as I'm in the NE) C2, white or martime blue (keep dreaming) and manual. I would obviously modify a little the looks (ducktail and suspension/wheels) but probably nothing too big. I already have a modified Tacoma and a dropped Volvo wagon.

This forum has been a good resource of info about the models, it's not easy to shop for these cars, they all have their pros and cons, and prices vary quite greatly.

Good luck in your search! I believe the NSX might go up in value faster than the 964, but if you modify your car quite a lot it gets irrelevant.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
I believe the NSX might go up in value faster than the 964, but if you modify your car quite a lot it gets irrelevant.
It might seem odd, but in the UK (not sure on US) the value of modified 964s are shooting up in value, as the track day guys see the benefit

Values of the 964 in general have jumped up in the last year or so and keep steadily climbing. Not sure if the same is happening with the NSX?

Chris
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
It might seem odd, but in the UK (not sure on US) the value of modified 964s are shooting up in value, as the track day guys see the benefit

Values of the 964 in general have jumped up in the last year or so and keep steadily climbing. Not sure if the same is happening with the NSX?

Chris
I think you're spot on there Chris. Modifying a 964 doesn't appear to detract from the value and in many cases have helped drive the the desirability and value of the 964 upwards. Modifying and F-car (except for a louder exhaust) seems to be a no no and I suspect the same goes for the NSX.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

This should assist with the performance comparison;

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/h...4_carrera.html
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

while you are thinking about it, the good ones are.............. going up in value.
the bad ones......................are getting worse.
: )

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 964......