Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace ignition switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How to replace ignition switch ?

I am having an intermittent starting problem. Once in a while when I turn the key, all I get is a click. I have done all the ground straps and battery connections, checked for voltage at the starter and the solenoid and it all checks out Okay. When I get the click there is no voltage to the solenoid, so I am thinking it's the ignition switch. How do I go about changing that switch.

PS. I also just put in a brand new battery, the old one was 7 years old, so time for a new one.

All help appreciated.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The click indicates voltage is at the solenoid.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you feel about removing the starter and taking it in for testing ?

The click is the starter solenoid clicking ?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I replaced the starter 5 years ago, had it out yesterday and had it tested, it is good. I was under the car with my volt meter on the solenoid, my son turning the ignition key, we both thought the click comes from the front of the car. When you hear only the click (no start) there is no voltage to the solenoid. Like I said, it is intermittent, and 90% of the time it cranks the engine just fine ( have the Relay out so no fire )

Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Like I said, it is intermittent, and 90% of the time it cranks the engine just fine ( have the Relay out so no fire )
How do you get past the no start issue? Is it just a matter of waiting, then a subsequent attempt(s) are successful? It appears that the ignition switch or associated wiring is the culprit, but I'm not sure if the (i.e. suspected relay) click you're hearing up front has anything to do with the no start issue. The only click I'm familiar with is the click of the starter solenoid. You could wire in a push button start button used by mechanics to turn over the engine for compression tests etc. to the cabin to eliminate the ignition switch/associated wiring to diagnose further before purchasing an ignition switch which may not be needed.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Darth, when I just get the click and no start, I turn the key off and try again, sometimes it start on the next try, sometime I have to do it 3 or 4 times, but it (so far) always starts.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a side note can you pull your key out of the ignition once it is in ACC position or even at final start position? I had ignition issues and noticed if I pull the key back it came out of the lock even with car running ? Which was very strange. Also do all the other instruments work fine i.e car stereo when you turn ignition key on ?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I will try that later today. All other instruments, lights and stereo works as normal.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Yesterday, after I reinstalled the starter motor and a new battery, I tried it out without the DME relay and it worked 100% on 10 attempts. Then my son and I tried it while I was underneath the car with my volt meter on the solenoid to check the voltage. First try perfect, engine cranked and there was 10.1 volts at the solenoid, second try we got the click, but my son had left the switch in the on position between tries. We then tried 5 more times turning the switch back to off every time, and it worked perfectly. Would leaving the switch in the ON position between tries affect the start ?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like a low voltage problem.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Would leaving the switch in the ON position between tries affect the start ?
Some ignition switches have to be turned off before they can be used to crank over the motor . This stops people from cranking a running motor .

If you put in a momentary switch , power to solenoid , will the starter always crank ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...w=1280&bih=661
Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

If the problem persists, I will give that a try. With the new battery in place it worked every time out of 15, except for ones when the switch was left in the ON position, so hopefully the new battery is the fix. Will let you know in a few days, when I have had a chance to drive it.
Thanks for all your help, always appreciated.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I have been driving the car a lot for the last 3 days, and it has been working faultlessly.
SO, in my limited electrical trouble shooting opinion would have to say, that the symptoms I had with intermittent starting, was caused by a battery that tested good when load tested by a reputable EL repair shop, but when on the job fell somewhat short of it's task.
Lesson to be learned, "when your battery is about 7 years old, replace it"

Quick Reply: How to replace ignition switch ?