Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever since I bought my 964 its had a NASTY exhaust rattle..Today..I found the problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has an extra g pipe or just a g pipe for sale, PM me, ill be happy to buy it for the right price
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Well guys I was rummaging around in primary bypass threads when I realized other people's primary bypass looked a lot like what I have in my car.

Can anyone tell me if I have one from looking at these pictures? Im going to feel incredibly stupid if I have had one this whole time

Name:  GfPgFQW.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  y1nuYoz.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  106.3 KB
Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett1021
Well guys I was rummaging around in primary bypass threads when I realized other people's primary bypass looked a lot like what I have in my car.

Can anyone tell me if I have one from looking at these pictures? Im going to feel incredibly stupid if I have had one this whole time
Yup that would be a cat by pass/ a straight pipe where your catalytic converter used to be!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY:10631685

Yup that would be a cat by pass/ a straight pipe where your catalytic converter used to be!

No way... that's insane, maybe that's why it blew the hole through my secondary muffler!!!!!

Im going to post another picture, I am 99% sure the cat is still in there, although now I know I dont even have a primary muffler...

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

I was planning on straight piping the car anyway, now I'm one step closer!!

Unfortunately ive never once heard my cars exhaust without the horrible rattle I have, I can't wait to hear the symphony when I get a g pipe... if I can ever find one!!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

No way... that's insane, maybe that's why it blew the hole through my secondary muffler!!!!!

Im going to post another picture, I am 99% sure the cat is still in there, although now I know I dont even have a primary muffler...

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

I was planning on straight piping the car anyway, now I'm one step closer!!

Unfortunately ive never once heard my cars exhaust without the horrible rattle I have, I can't wait to hear the symphony when I get a g pipe... if I can ever find one!!
Yup, I may be wrong but sure looks like a cat bypass to me!

Cat by + cup pipe (primary bypass) = often results in a cracked secondary, many people just weld a plate on over the top.

G -pipe will give you a deep rumble.

If you have all three bypassed that gonna be super loud!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY:10631821

Yup, I may be wrong but sure looks like a cat bypass to me!

Cat by + cup pipe (primary bypass) = often results in a cracked secondary, many people just weld a plate on over the top.

G -pipe will give you a deep rumble.

If you have all three bypassed that gonna be super loud!!!
Thank you for helping!!

I don't get to drive the car much, but when I do... whats the point of having it quiet???

I believe I do have the cat still (although I could be very wrong!!!)

But after I get my g-pipe.... the cat will be the next to go

My O2 sensor was unplugged awhile back which lead me to believe I had some faux cat, but after some recent research I found some people had to disconnect theirs due to the engine needing extra fuel because of upgrades, and the O2 sensor unplugged does that!

I decided to plug it back in and go for a drive, and the car felt... off... it had power up to 3k, then felt very very flat and horrible, then at 5k it felt like VTEC KICKED IN YO and I got a massive surge of power for a second... the car drove weirdly!!

So I unplugged the o2 sensor again and never looked back

Here are the pictures of the cat(s)! (Yes one metal and one alive)

Name:  VHDQR9I.jpeg
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  Ua5kUbt.jpeg
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Yup my apologies, that is a cat in the end! Seen from this angle it's clearer!

A cup pipe and g pipe will be very loud! But it sounds awesome
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY:10631881
Yup my apologies, that is a cat in the end! Seen from this angle it's clearer!

A cup pipe and g pipe will be very loud! But it sounds awesome
I want it to be loud... but not motorcycle/drag car loud!!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM
garrett1021
Racer

This may be a stupid question for people but can you paint your exhaust? Not for aesthetics, but to keep it from getting rusted like mine is starting to do?would this protect it, or just make it get even hotter?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I decided to plug it back in and go for a drive, and the car felt... off... it had power up to 3k, then felt very very flat and horrible, then at 5k it felt like VTEC KICKED IN YO and I got a massive surge of power for a second... the car drove weirdly!!
That's about when the resonance flap operates.

My O2 sensor was unplugged awhile back which lead me to believe I had some faux cat, but after some recent research I found some people had to disconnect theirs due to the engine needing extra fuel because of upgrades, and the O2 sensor unplugged does that!
The default fuel trim value when there is an O2 sensor error is (0x80) 0% correction. You have to jumper the Motronic ECU under the seat if you want more fuel!

So I unplugged the o2 sensor again and never looked back
You very well likely have some other fueling issue related to the O2 sensor...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You can probably get the exhaust components ceramic coated.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
That's about when the resonance flap operates.

The default fuel trim value when there is an O2 sensor error is (0x80) 0% correction. You have to jumper the Motronic ECU under the seat if you want more fuel!

You very well likely have some other fueling issue related to the O2 sensor...

verrrryyyyy interseting... hmm.... thank you for the information!

what would you say would be the first thing to test here? resonance flap?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Jumping in late here.

I was also running a primary bypass with secondary muffler. Started to hear rattle, but could never actually see any problem. Granted, I never took the muffler out and checked in detail, and didn't know that there was a problem with the muffler splitting. Then one day I was looking under the car and recognized that there was a problem. A hole in the muffler heated the fiberglass insulation board enough to melt a hole through the board and eventually melted the lower plug wire insulation and plug boots. One wire was completely bare, but still connected to plug boot. A second wire was melted all the way through and no longer connected to plug boot, and third wire was melted and still connected. The ironic part is that the car still ran very well.

I purchased new plug boots, wire, and connectors and remade the three worn wires. Repaired the insulation board, and have now added a secondary bypass to go with the primary bypass. It runs and sounds great. Maybe a little loud for some people, but I get plenty of compliments on the sound. If I had to drive it everyday, it may be a little loud, but for weekends, DE's, and other random drives it sounds fantastic.

There seem to be plenty of secondary bypass pipes for sale on here. I would recommend buying a used one and giving it a try. I purchased mine used from the forum and plan to keep it. If you do not like it, I am sure someone else out there will buy it from you.
Attached Images    
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 AM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by lmazzoli:10643436
Jumping in late here.

I was also running a primary bypass with secondary muffler. Started to hear rattle, but could never actually see any problem. Granted, I never took the muffler out and checked in detail, and didn't know that there was a problem with the muffler splitting. Then one day I was looking under the car and recognized that there was a problem. A hole in the muffler heated the fiberglass insulation board enough to melt a hole through the board and eventually melted the lower plug wire insulation and plug boots. One wire was completely bare, but still connected to plug boot. A second wire was melted all the way through and no longer connected to plug boot, and third wire was melted and still connected. The ironic part is that the car still ran very well.

I purchased new plug boots, wire, and connectors and remade the three worn wires. Repaired the insulation board, and have now added a secondary bypass to go with the primary bypass. It runs and sounds great. Maybe a little loud for some people, but I get plenty of compliments on the sound. If I had to drive it everyday, it may be a little loud, but for weekends, DE's, and other random drives it sounds fantastic.

There seem to be plenty of secondary bypass pipes for sale on here. I would recommend buying a used one and giving it a try. I purchased mine used from the forum and plan to keep it. If you do not like it, I am sure someone else out there will buy it from you.
Thanks a lot! Yeah I've been searching every day to find a bypass but I seriously can't find one anywhere used..
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Happened to me too. Beware all those running a cup pipe primary bypass...

Name:  964-Secondary-Muffler-Blown_zpsttnbyokr.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  156.4 KB

The blow out also damaged the engine capsule/heat shield. Fortunately no heat damage to anything else, plug wires etc. On the plus side this opens up some exhaust mod options ...

Quick Reply: Ever since I bought my 964 its had a NASTY exhaust rattle..Today..I found the problem