Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Exhaust Installation - with pics !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FVD Exhaust Installation - with pics !!

Ok, this weekend I finally found some times to do the new exhaust install. It was a long process getting all the right parts from FVD, if you recall from this tread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...1-756-a-4.html

see post #47
But in short the system is not as compare to the Fabspeed where it can be used in both configuration. The FVD system exhaust system can either be used in 2-in 2-out or 2-in and 1-out, however the muffler is altogether different and this needs to be specified when ordering. This bit of information came to FVD U.S.A only after I placed the order. To make a story short I have two mufflers now, and will be able to hopefully try both configuration.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
PChar
Racer

The fearful aspect of taking the heat exchangers out is to be careful not to break any exhaust head studs. I doused my nuts with penetrating oil every nights of the week prior to doing this. On Friday morning, I put the wrench on the nuts and to my pleasant surprise, all cam loose relatively easy. nothing broke. I had order a whole new set just in case. but judging how the nuts came off and the conditions of the old studs, I decided to leave them alone (in place).
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM
PChar
Racer

Once I had the car elevated on wooden blocks, it only took me 35 minutes to remove the entire 964 exhaust. I was running a Fabspeed cat-bypass and a primary muffler by-pass, all the rest was OEM. The sound was very nice that way, but the most enjoying thing was the awful oil/gasoline smell while driving, and at stop light was even worst.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM
PChar
Racer

The system was fairly easy to install, but with reserve.,.. What I mean is the headers and 100 cell cat were easy job. Not the rest of the system, it needs tweaking and has some fitting issues. I know all aftermarket exhausts will have fitting issues, even the other very well know exhaust builder has also issues. But my biggest beef with this system is that it didn't seam to be finished or complete.. Here are few things to consider if you want to do the install:
- The muffler bracket was not pre-drilled, this should be easy , two hole spaced at 8.25" apart, yet not done. Do you know how hard it was to drill through thick stainless steel...???
- The muffler I use is the 2-in and 1-out, compare to the other nice muffler (2-in and 2-out) it was not finished look at pictures. The end pieces are not caped and polished. I know this is hidden under the bumper, but why go to the extent of doing it on one muffler but not the other,...?
- - Also the single out muffler did not come with the slits on the tips where the cat goes in. This had to be fabricated. Looked a bit fast-*** if you ask me. I had to take my grinder to it, and create 4 slits around the tube so the cat could slide in on both end of the muffler. The dual out muffler came with it, not the single out. I know these are technicality that can easily be remedied, but why put an exhaust system on the market if these QC items still need to be ironed out.

As for sound I let you be the judge,...
Attached Images     
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 PM
PChar
Racer

Fist sound clip,....

I will make a rolling one soon.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

very nice! did you happen the weigh what came off vs what went on?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...very nice.....sounds great...Has a nice rumble to it and doesn't sound bad at all....I like it...Outside sound will differ a bit as well as spirited driving...

Thank You for posting a video..... I think we have been all waiting to hear this system for some time now....
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 PM
sc
Racer

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear rolling sound as well as your own opinion. Can you also comment on the difference in loudness from your previous set up? TIA!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by sc
Sounds great! Can't wait to hear rolling sound as well as your own opinion. Can you also comment on the difference in loudness from your previous set up? TIA!
The FVD system sounds about the same "loudness" as what I had before. Cat bypass and prary bypass. However the sound is more Subaru ish or sporty VW just my though. I was expecting something different I guess. Maybe more in line with a sporty 993 sound
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice wheels ... looks like the allegerrita.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PChar
The FVD system sounds about the same "loudness" as what I had before. Cat bypass and prary bypass. However the sound is more Subaru ish or sporty VW just my though. I was expecting something different I guess. Maybe more in line with a sporty 993 sound
This sounds a good bit like my 200cel CAT / g-Pipe, it too sounds like a WRX or muscle car and not that refined. I would call it a dark and dirty sound. My 993 with Motor Sound and a 200cell X-pipe sounded amazing and I wish I had the same sound on the 964. The cup pipe I had on before the g-Pipe sounded better to me but I like the idea of a little more torque, so the dirty g-Pipe sound stays.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

This is Joe@ Fabspeed Motorsports USA

That muffler that is dual in and dual out with oval tips look exactly like my muffler system I perfected at Fabspeed over 10+ years ago.

why do you have my muffler and oval tips and a 2nd muffler with inverted style B&B Triflo ends?

Why do you have to drill holes into a flat stainless steel muffler bracket? Why do you have to cut slip joint slits into your inverted endcapped muffler?

If you are in Chester County Pennsylvania............we are 30 minuets away and manufacture everything in house and Fabspeed Motorsports USA has a chassis Dyno and we also do installations while you and or anyone waits.

If you need any help cruise by.

Joe Fabiani

Owner of 3 aircooled 911 cars. 993 RS Clubsport , 993 cabriolet and 930 S 505 factory car. Formey 964 and 3,2 Carrera
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
This is Joe@ Fabspeed Motorsports USA

That muffler that is dual in and dual out with oval tips look exactly like my muffler system I perfected at Fabspeed over 10+ years ago.

why do you have my muffler and oval tips and a 2nd muffler with inverted style B&B Triflo ends?

Why do you have to drill holes into a flat stainless steel muffler bracket? Why do you have to cut slip joint slits into your inverted endcapped muffler?

If you are in Chester County Pennsylvania............we are 30 minuets away and manufacture everything in house and Fabspeed Motorsports USA has a chassis Dyno and we also do installations while you and or anyone waits.

If you need any help cruise by.

Joe Fabiani

Owner of 3 aircooled 911 cars. 993 RS Clubsport , 993 cabriolet and 930 S 505 factory car. Formey 964 and 3,2 Carrera
Joe, I dont want to start a war here on this Forum, and yes I can see why you would want to rub it in,....
But three months ago when I was looking to purchase an exhaust syetem, and I was the one looking for answers and inquiring at Fabspeed, nobody would give me the time of the day and answer my request for info.

And, as far as I am concerned, I purchase this exhaust syetem "legally" and it was shipped directly from Germany, so please refrain from making claims such as " Why Do You Have My Muffler",....

I gave both manaufactuerers a shot at this and FVD was responsive to ME, and hence the reason I purchased their produt. I have no affiliation or allegiance to either or of you. So, please calm down with your tone, this is not good business.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will back PChar up on this one. I bought Fabspeeds dual in dual out exhaust with heat. The headers were good, they fit as they should, but the rest of it was a VERY poor fit. It was so bad, I ended up sending it back for a refund, which by the way cost me a bundle of money. In top of that there was an unbearable DRONE from around 2800-3600 rpm.
Shortly after I returned mine, Fabspeed redesigned part of the system, for a more acceptable fit, which proves to me, that they sold the exhaust without proper R&D.
So Joe, what is it you are trying to say ??

Quick Reply: FVD Exhaust Installation - with pics !!