Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for A/C condenser (and related questions)

Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Exactly! I'd change the receiver/dryer as well for another $30.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

So with everything else being equal is R12 colder than R134a?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
MGH
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Exactly! I'd change the receiver/dryer as well for another $30.
Yep - I plan to go through the whole system - already have a new receiver / dryer in place. I'm hoping not to replace any of the big$$ items though. We'll see if anything else is in need of replacement after the condenser goes in.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
MGH
AutoX

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
So with everything else being equal is R12 colder than R134a?
In a system that was designed to use r12, yes. That's my understanding - I have read / heard this from multiple sources. It's the primary reason I'm not converting the car to r134 (though I will someday if I can't easily obtain a charge of r12).
Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

So a 1996 993 was designed for R134?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Expansion valve and all the o-rings in the whole system better replace at the same time as well. Compressor's clutch and the A/C hoses connect to the compressor often is the source of freon leak.

Originally Posted by MGH
Yep - I plan to go through the whole system - already have a new receiver / dryer in place. I'm hoping not to replace any of the big$$ items though. We'll see if anything else is in need of replacement after the condenser goes in.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
MGH
AutoX

Well, as promised - a quick update. I had the new condenser from Griffiths installed (in the original frame - fit was not much of an issue) Replaced the exp. valve and o-rings as well. Charged the system with r12 and it blows cold air! I have no basis for comparison, but I'd say it's pretty COLD relative to what I've heard other 964 owners have said about the factory AC.

Thanks again to all for the input.

--
Mike
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MGH
Well, as promised - a quick update. I had the new condenser from Griffiths installed (in the original frame - fit was not much of an issue) Replaced the exp. valve and o-rings as well. Charged the system with r12 and it blows cold air! I have no basis for comparison, but I'd say it's pretty COLD relative to what I've heard other 964 owners have said about the factory AC.

Thanks again to all for the input.

--
Mike
Mind sharing what the labor cost was?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
MGH
AutoX

I don't mind sharing at all, but I can't remember off hand what the Parts vs. labor charges were. All said and done, I paid just over $580 for:

diagnose state of system (found leak - condenser)
remove / replace condenser
replace o-rings
replace exp. valve
add oil to compressor (PO dumped some when reinstalling it - don't ask)
evacuate system
recharge with r12
add dye to refrigerant (just in case / to diagnose any future leaks in the near term)

This didn't include the cost of the condenser that I supplied, so all told, I paid around $800 to stop sweating on my 45 minute commute to work. The day I picked up the car was the hottest day so far this year in Milwaukee - well worth the $$.

If your interested I can look at my invoice and tell you how much the r12 recharge was - can't remember exactly, but that plus the evac was expensive.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

did you change out the condensor or the evaporator? 580 is a bargain for the labor on an evaporator, thats an 8 hour job at a shop. Fuel tank out, fuse panel out etc. The condensor is just under the fender. The expansion valve usually comes with the evaporator.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i bet that would have cost 2000 in Vancouver. : )
And it wouldn't work for long. No guarantees.
You might even have had some of your parts secretly swapped out, while they were at it............
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM
MGH
AutoX

Originally Posted by rstarga
did you change out the condensor or the evaporator? 580 is a bargain for the labor on an evaporator, thats an 8 hour job at a shop. Fuel tank out, fuse panel out etc. The condensor is just under the fender. The expansion valve usually comes with the evaporator.
Replaced condenser, not evap. I misspoke on the expansion valve. Originally I had intended to have it replaced because of the low cost of the part; I didn't initially realize the labor associated with the replacement of this part. Somehow I had it in my head that this was also replaced, but it was not.

So $580 included:

diagnose state of system (found leak - condenser)
remove / replace condenser
replace o-rings
DID NOT replace exp. valve
add oil to compressor (PO dumped some when reinstalling it - don't ask)
evacuate system
recharge with r12
add dye to refrigerant (just in case / to diagnose any future leaks in the near term)

I did discover that I have a loose wire / corroded contact (?) on the AC control unit the other day. (fan quit, no lights on the unit, ie lost power) a light tap on the unit and it came back to life. I'll have to pull it out and see what that's about...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Source for A/C condenser (and related questions)