Sponsored by:

Monday weekend wrapup

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday weekend wrapup

well, got the gear back from being drilled/tapped so I cleaned up the old white grease that was in the motor and reinstalled the gear. Got new screws for the halves of the motor too, since the heads seemed a bit stripped. Reinstalled them on the car, but dead battery so I didn't go further. I do have the car on the charger now, so sometime this week I'll get back at it.

Not much else... what did you do?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Saturday, with helpful pictures from RicardoD (Thank you!), I was able to get my vacuum brake lines installed on my engine. It took quite a while (6 hours). I had purchased new parts for everything. However, the factory is shipping generic metric vacuum hose for some of the parts and when I tried to make the bends required, the hose kinked. We scrounged around the garage and found some springs. For one hose, we trimmed off the ends and inserted the spring inside the hose, so it wouldn't kink. The other spring was too large so we ended up putting that one on the outside of the hose.

Sunday was spent at the fiance's parents house, setting up a new computer and copying all of the old data over. I thought it would only take an hour. My estimation skills were off this weekend. It took 5 hours. One thing that slowed me down is I didn't bring a spare mouse and keyboard so I had to shut down one computer to use the other. But in the end, her Mom is thrilled. To thank me, she made me a home made apple pie. My favorite. Yum yum....

It will be a short week this week, my company has Thurs and Friday as site holidays. Many co-workers are off so its nice and quiet at the office. Hoping to catch up on things.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd chip in too - as I get to drive her again tomorrow for the 1st time in over a month...
The rear brake calipers came back from their overhaul - it really is quite simple to re-install parts that are almost like new! Things just slot into place and screws just fit!
Roll on tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

No Porsche work this weekend. Still waiting on my special Porsche tool 9191 for my cam chain housing work and my Sunset parts arrive today. I did spend most of the weekend starting the process of cleaning out the garage in preparation for garage remodeling project (finish drywall, new workbenches, cabinets and lighting).

I want to create a clean & well lighted workspace to eventually completely rebuild the engine in my C4. Not sure it needs it but its just something I need to do.

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
hawk911
Race Car

i still have to reconnect the spoiler **** to the internal wiring. I think it's just the LED wires that are broken. The actual spoiler stuff is regular plug connectors.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM
cobias1
Racer

my weekends are different as I do a rotating shift. with that said, I replaced one of the sway bar links, the other had been replaced last year because it was not in good shape then. one rotor was grooved, from PO neglect I think, so I had that taken care of. Could definitely tell the difference when hitting a body of water on my way home the other night. no pull whatsoever. still need to source a kit for the steering rack seals. other than that I did a lot of shop organizing during my couple of days off.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobias1
Still need to source a kit for the steering rack seals.
I saved this link: http://www.klaindustries.net/
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Chiefyb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent time stripping the car for windows out paint. Fun part was taking the locks out of my old door handles and test fitting them into the 993 ones...
Also removing side repeater indicators ready to weld them up.
Exciting times ahead.

Quick Reply: Monday weekend wrapup