Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window problem - switch is okay, tried manually winding, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Power window problem - switch is okay, tried manually winding, what next?

Gradually working through the little issues on my car.

Passenger window is stuck in the up position. So far:

Bought a new switch and tried all of the existing switches in the drivers slot - all worked. Passenger side nothing.

Tried winding it up and down twice with a hex key as per Adrian's book. Still nothing.

Hit the thing with a hammer. Slammed the door a few times. Nothing.

What do I try next?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Has the motor seized or the mechanism jammed or broken in some way? Can't see what else could keep it in the up position.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The passenger window switch that's in the driver's door must be working in order for the passenger's door switch to work, make sure you check that the driver's side window control for the passenger's window is working - couldn't tell from your writeup if you sussed that out.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus964
The passenger window switch that's in the driver's door must be working in order for the passenger's door switch to work, make sure you check that the driver's side window control for the passenger's window is working - couldn't tell from your writeup if you sussed that out.

Good luck!
^^^^^
This....a bad window switch on the other door will short out the control, make sure both are ok...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

It's not the switch. I tried both passenger window ones in the driver's door slot - all of them work.

After that I removed the small speaker and manually wound the window down and up again twice. Would this mean the motor is not seized?

Mechanism?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a broken wire where the door meets the body?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Do ypurself a favor before you rip anything else apart:, if the driver side window switch is working fine, swap it with the drivers door passenger window switch and use the new one on the passenger side door. The issue is you probably have TWO bad switches. That will keep the window from working. Even with one good switch in the circut.

If that doesn't work have you checked the fuse?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a similar problem. Picked up a used motor went to install and saw that to replace the motor you need to remove window regulator. Not wanting to go through all that if it all possible I decided to hold down the switch while tapping the motor with a socket wrench. Presto the motor started working.
Give it a try. Can't hurt might help!
Good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

The window motors are pretty tough on these cars that's why I'd run down the other issues first. Sometimes the seals will stick to the glass and need to be loosened and libricated to work soapy water wil do. Can you hear themotor typing to move? If you turn the headlights on do they dim when you move the switch?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Thanks All. I will double check those switches one last time then get the door panel off and start tapping, looking for breaks in the wire, etc.

JR - hope that awful fire is not affecting you.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

There's a power window relay in the fuse box. I'm not sure if it could only cut power to one side if there was a problem with it? I guess the only way to check it, is to swap it for one known to work.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

I'm getting a bit closer. It is not the switches.

Took the door card off. If I hit the motor with a hammer (and keep tapping it) the the window comes down.

It doesn't go up as easy - will move a bit then stop, more tapping and pulling on the glass gets it back up again.

Motor is getting very hot - not sure if this is normal.

I did find bits of some sort of black material thing stuck somewhere inside near the top of the door. Pulled out what I could find although there was not much of it.

Have not tried the J richard soapy water thing on the seals yet. Will do it in the morning. Is that the rubber bits at the top of the door where the window disappears down?

Any other ideas?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like the glass is catching in the frame. With the door card removed, there's a big hole in the top left corner of the door. Just below that there is an allen bolt (circled in red) that allows you to adjust the angle of the window mech. I found that a small adjustment of that (slide it up or down) stopped my window from sticking in the frame.

There's a couple of other bolts that hold the mech aswell (circled in yellow). There's no adjustment on these but might need to loosen them when adjusting above.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Thanks Boxsey. I will give that a try in the week - car was like an oven today.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Fiddled around with the boxsey adjusters, still no solution. Garage says it is the motor which sounds about right given (with the help of all inside this thread) I have tried everything.

So, they are fitting a new one, a new membrane, and new rain strips on both sides.

Quick Reply: Power window problem - switch is okay, tried manually winding, what next?