Sponsored by:

964 introduction from Jakarta, Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

JoriJori,

Follow what Vandit suggested and you should not see high temperatures like that.
We run MUCH higher temps than Indonesia and I never see it creep anywhere near the top white mark... let alone over it towards the red.

This is sitting in traffic as well as running it on the track... they can handle high temps just fine if all is working fine and you did the resistor mod.

The relay you need to work with is in the front relay box (should be top left when looking in the trunk and opens with two clamps)... can't remember which one, but there is a diagram on the back of the lid.

There are two identical relays: one for the oil cooler and one for the A/C... so you can switch them and see if that makes a difference. Next time your engine gets to those temps, get out with the car running and put your hand under the front of the car right in front of the right wheel... you should feel - and hear - the fan running and blowing out hot air.

Drive it - enjoy it - fix it and drive it some more... they are awesome!

Oh... and welcome... good looking example
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Navaros, thanks for your reply, the oil temp is now at 9.30 mark in traffic and I have verified that the oil cooler fan in the front right fender is working now. It did not work at that instance when the temp hit 10.30 & that was the first day I picked up the car.

Day time temperature here is around 34 degree celcius but in traffic maybe a bit higher, what is oil temp when your car sits in traffic? and with AC on?

TIA,
Oemar
Old 06-30-2013, 04:47 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My places weather temperature is similar to yours, now is summer my on board computer reporting 40 degree Celsius and it is humid too (Typical Asia tropical climate). My oil temperature gauge max. at 9:00 position when sprit driving or sit in heavy traffic jam with A/C turn on. I am not sure if sitting in traffic in your country with more than 1 hour idling engine speed make any hotter oil temp.

Originally Posted by jorijori
Hi Navaros, thanks for your reply, the oil temp is now at 9.30 mark in traffic and I have verified that the oil cooler fan in the front right fender is working now. It did not work at that instance when the temp hit 10.30 & that was the first day I picked up the car.

Day time temperature here is around 34 degree celcius but in traffic maybe a bit higher, what is oil temp when your car sits in traffic? and with AC on?

TIA,
Oemar
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

TIA,
Oemar
Oemar, I just repatriated after four years in Jakarta. I saw one 964 in the whole time there, a Targa under cover in a Kemang front yard, so I know you have a rare car in that market. Good luck, and make sure you exercise it once in a while. A 2:00 am run down the Jagorawi toll road should keep it in good shape
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo have a very special car there! There arent many 1993 cars around (apart from us spec) and your is very well spec'd. I see you have the optional raff leather and 12fold seat adjustment, both very rare. I am somewhat surprised that there is no leather dash, as I thought that came with the raff leather. Also the (hated) rear wiper and sunroof were all optional. I also like your original radio (it seems like a blaupunkt), they are not the best, bu who wants to listen to musi in an air cooled boxer car anyway!

Love your car!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Just as Power_up says, I have the same experience here. Stays just under 9 (like 9.55) when driving, gets just a bit over 9 like at 9.15 when sitting in traffic. That's at 45 to 50 degrees Centigrade with relatively high humidity (yes, it is very humid in Bahrain on a regular basis).

AC on or off makes only a marginal difference... I don't notice it much.

Before I did the cooler mod I would get the low oil pressure warning as the oil gets thinner as the engine warms up. When I would come to a stop and the idle would drop just a little bit, the oil pressure light would come on. That was fixed by moving from 0w40 to 20w50 oil.

TIA,
Oemar
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Hi John,

Howdy mate, may I ask where in Kemang did you see that? Porsche didn't officially sell cars here until 2003, so all cars prior to that are either smuggled in or diplomatic cars. Thanks for your advice unfortunately I can't drive fast (panic attack) so I drive leisurely around my housing complex not to mention my car registration is VW so can't drive around city area because of cops (see #7 here http://www.flachbau.com/X84-ROW.php)

Originally Posted by John McM
Oemar, I just repatriated after four years in Jakarta. I saw one 964 in the whole time there, a Targa under cover in a Kemang front yard, so I know you have a rare car in that market. Good luck, and make sure you exercise it once in a while. A 2:00 am run down the Jagorawi toll road should keep it in good shape
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Thank you all, my car VIN is WPOZZZ-967PS-402798, can anyone confirm this is 1993 car?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thank you all, my car VIN is WPOZZZ-967PS-402798, can anyone confirm this is 1993 car?
Yes, that is a 1993 car. The P is the year model.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Hi John,

Howdy mate, may I ask where in Kemang did you see that? Porsche didn't officially sell cars here until 2003, so all cars prior to that are either smuggled in or diplomatic cars. Thanks for your advice unfortunately I can't drive fast (panic attack) so I drive leisurely around my housing complex not to mention my car registration is VW so can't drive around city area because of cops (see #7 here http://www.flachbau.com/X84-ROW.php)
I saw the car in Kemang Timur Raya. The house had four car lifts in the front parking bay. Possibly a car dealer. It has now been pulled down and a new complex built. I never saw the whole car, just the silhouette. I think it was a targa.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Hello jakarta, great seeing 964's in far away lands......plus your car looks supa!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Thanks John for the picture, air cool 911s are a hot commodity now here, everyone wants one now.

Howdy Fuch, thanks.. BTW, looks maybe supa but leaks all over all in the usual suspect locations, crankshaft seal (between flywheel), timing chain covers, and possibly cylinder heads. Where is the through bolt o-ring? I read this is also typical oil leak suspect. Engine looks dry from top, but wet underneath.

Quick Reply: 964 introduction from Jakarta, Indonesia