Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on improving stereo sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I can make another recommendation for the Car Audio Innovations sub enclosures (see: http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm). They've been in my '91 C2 cab for over 10 years now and still sound great. I have MTX subs in them, along with Boston Acoustics 6.5's in the doors, powered by a 5 channel Alpine V12 amp in the trunk. I disconnected the little rear speakers in the side panels, as they're pretty much useless.

I've had a number of head units in the car over the years and currently have an Alpine ipod head unit (ida-x305s - see: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ice_Comparison and http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s).

It has a great ipod user interface and very intuitive controls, along with a consistent look with the rest of the dashboard. I have the cable for the ipod wired into the glovebox and bought an 16 GB ipod nano on ebay, which I leave in there. I create playlists and load the ipod only with those playlists, specifying that all of the songs have the highest available bitrate, so the sound quality is decent.

Best of luck!

John
Old 06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
hans57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I may be the first to say this, but I doubt the first to think it.

I have a '91 cab and..........

turn off the stereo and listen to the sweetest music the car has to offer......... that flat six behind you!

Enjoy!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by hans57
Well, I may be the first to say this, but I doubt the first to think it.

I have a '91 cab and..........

turn off the stereo and listen to the sweetest music the car has to offer......... that flat six behind you!

Enjoy!!!
Nope, you are right, you are not the first person to say it.

The great thing is I have the option to listen to that flat 6 any time I want. I just turn the stereo off. But I prefer to not listen to the same music all the time and hence the upgraded sound system

Last edited by hamah; 06-21-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I have been running http://hybrid-audio.com/ L6s for years and still love them. Hybrid has a wide range of speaker lines and prices.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
ryanowen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a previous poster, I used the Fosgate 300x4 amp under the passenger seat. It replaced the factory amp and fits perfect. I put JL 5.25 C2 component speakers in the front doors. I was able to re-use the factory grills with little bit of modification. I used inexpensive Kenwood 4x6 speakers in back. What really made a huge difference though was a small powered
Kenwood sub Kenwood sub
. I was pretty skeptical of a sub so small, but it sounds really good. What's nice is that I can just quick disconnect and toss the sub in the trunk if a very small child has the misfortune of sitting behind me.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the head unit, and the sound is SO much better that it was with the older unit. I was also able to run the hands-free mic from the steering column to the unit without visible wiring, so I am pleased. Hands free works well, picks up my iphone and the wifs, kids like shuffling through music from the back seat. Not sure if it is me or not, but the back seat seems to be the max range for the bluetooth. I am now investigating speaker replacments.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More Juice Is Good.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x6 speakers in the rear of a cab?

I know the 5 1/4 speakers will fit the front. But does anyone know if a 4x6 will fit in the back sides where the seatbelts retract?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is my contribution after I cleaned up things from the previous owner (removed Sony amp and CD changer and tidied up the wiring): Kicker CompVRs in the back, Boston Accoustics in the doors, Xtant Amp and Boston Accoustics crossovers in the frunk.
Please excuse the ghetto hood prop
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Despite what everyone has to say my turbo had MB quart speakers and sapphire amp etc using stock alpine CR-1 head unit installed by PO. My C2 has stock speakers with a nice Pioneer head unit and amp and it blows away the turbos sound until I switched out the head unit. The head unit is by far the weaker of the two links I would start there and focus on speakers later.

I don't turn on the stereo in either car it takes away from the glorious sound the car makes.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on improving stereo sound