Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on improving stereo sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for advice on improving stereo sound

I have a stock Cab. Same size speakers in the door panels (5 1/4" lowers and tweeters above) as well as 4" (I think) in the back sides as when purchased, so stock. Sound is garbage. Not sure of the speakers, but am looking to make improvement. I have just bought this : http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...rchPageIndex=1

and am wishing to upgrade the speakers. Suggestions?

Peter

Last edited by pi5tolpete; 06-17-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of threads in here on that topic. Cabs are particularly challenging but in general the 964 sound setup pretty much blows chunks. I'd suggest you would get a large improvement from:

-updating the tweeters and mids in your doors. How much you want to spend is up to you. Make sure to get a matched set with cross-overs and replace the stock ones.
-mount the mids directly to your doors...to the metal that is. Right now your speakers are mounted to clips on your door cards and you will get a HUGE improvement in sound just by doing this alone.
-if you have the stock amp under the passenger seat bypass it. Make sure your head unit has the power to properly drive your new speakers. If not invest in a decent amp with the head room to cleanly drive the speakers without clipping.
-I would not worry too much about the 4" speakers in the back. It's debatable if they are even needed. I personally like to have the back channel as "fill" but even so I spent very little on the rears in comparison to the front speakers.
-Get subs. Repeat. Get subs. Not because you want to be heard coming from a mile away but because this will be, without question, the 2nd best single improvement in overall sound (after mounting the front mids directly to steel). The are a few ways to do this and this will be the area you will face the most challenge with.
-Did I mention to mount the mids directly to the door panels and not to the cardboard?
-and finally, mount the front mids directly to the doors.

As I said this topic has been covered a few times and you will find some decent coverage on the topic if you search.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I can recomend MBQuart 6 1/2" door speakers with their tweeters. Big sound for not a lotta $$.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

LoL Hamah ... I take it the door mounted mids are the key

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-speakers.html
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by HiWind
LoL Hamah ... I take it the door mounted mids are the key

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-speakers.html
yeah, it's amazing how stock mounting a great pair of mids (those MB Quart are a prime example) can be an utter waste of time and money.

(and yes Peter you can fit a 6.5" speaker in the stock opening of the door panel. You will likely need to open up the door card to fit the basket however)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

So the back of speaker shd still clear the inside door skin, right...
But the speaker mounting screws shd go into the door not card?

Ps - I find my rear polks make a big difference to the rounded fuller sound
... Wouldn't leave them off.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by HiWind
So the back of speaker shd still clear the inside door skin, right...
But the speaker mounting screws shd go into the door not card?

Ps - I find my rear polks make a big difference to the rounded fuller sound
... Wouldn't leave them off.
Correct. You will need to remove the door card to make sure of fit and to properly enlarge the door card opening (or at least I did). I also took the added step of using a mounting ring which I carved from a piece of MDF. This is because the metal door panel has an irregular surface (it's not completely flat). Not everyone does this but a good seal also helps add to the effect created by solidly mounting the mid.

The use of rear speakers is a long running debate (I personally like and use them myself). What is not debatable is that the vast majority of the sound quality will be gained from your front speakers.

Subs are also a source of great debate. The use a good pair of 6.5" mids properly mounted will give big gains in sonic range and will add to the sonic "floor" (the lows). In a coupe the rears can also help (unfortunately the puny 4" rears in a cab can't help with the low end). I still feel the use of proper subs driven by an amp with a separate sub channel makes a large difference and provides a solid floor that can't be achieved by use of mids alone. The issue will always be where and how to mount them. Subs are non directional so you can almost put them anywhere you feel is best as long as you have the room (Here is a great sub enclosure space calculator). I use these and I love them.

Last edited by hamah; 06-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others suggested replace the speakers with new. I replaced all my six speakers with Blaupunkt GXT's, HU with Blaupunkt and also found the Fosgate BPR300X4 to be an almost perfect fit to replace the amp under the passenger seat.

The sound is now excellent.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a mdf spacer ring made up and used longer screws through the wood through the original holes so they went through the door metal. I then mounted my speaker to the mdf wood.

If I revert to original my door car will not have any new holes in it. but the door frame behine the card will have 4 new holes.

Last edited by CBR786; 06-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
hamah
Pro

I put my rings behind the door card for a cleaner look but this is also a good idea and far easier to install. (I can't see ever reverting to original speakers...I'd rather pour molten lead into my ears first). Curious, did you fit 6.5' mids in there like that?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

As someone who grew up in the late 60's around too much Rock, my hearing is now marginal. I cannot give any suggestions as to which speakers might give the best sound. But I did replace the rear speakers on my Cab. recently and found that I had to buy speakers with a thin depth. All the better speakers had deeper depths which I'm told give better sound. (I doubt my ears could tell anyway) I had the roof down when I was installing the speakers and found that the position of the rear speaker cutouts in the quarter panels is right next to part of the roof mechanism limiting the depth of the speaker.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM
CBR786
Pro

Yes 6.5 Mids with tweeters which fitted neatly in original tweeter hole so stock tweeter grill remains concealing modded tweeter.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
hamah
Pro

Yeah, I was able to fit the tweets that came with my Hertz Mille MLK 165 speakers to use the original opening as well. I suspect almost any 1-1.5" dome tweeter could fit in there with a little mcgyvering (I used a hot glue gun)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 964 cab last year and it already had a Kicker 5 channel amp, 10" sub behind each seat, Boston Acoustic speakers in the doors. It had an Eclipse head unit that sucked *****. I replaced it with a Kenwood head unit and cleaned up all of the wiring. The system in my car is crystal clear and as loud as I ever want it to be ... even at 90mph with the top down.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM
CBR786
Pro

MY SUB it is removable if I ever need to use the back seating area. It does well considering what it is. Also I think it will hold a good resale value if I ever choose to get rid of it. It is self contained self amplified boom box pity I could not squeeze it under the seat.

Last edited by CBR786; 06-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on improving stereo sound