12v Power Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Cape Dory
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 12v Power Options

Good Morning All,

I've been searching around the forums and the web on options for the 12v power outlet options for the 964. I have seen anything from replacing the cigarette lighter to a US spec one, but this prevents the use of the tire inflator. I have also seen hardwiring solutions, but I may or may not be comfortable doing some of the steps to do that. I suppose there could be a first time for everything, but I'm still pretty cautious with my new baby.

I'm curious as to what you guys and gals are using as a solution. Ideally I would love to have two available outlets for my Passport and GPS/Phone charger. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape Dory
Good Morning All,

I've been searching around the forums and the web on options for the 12v power outlet options for the 964. I have seen anything from replacing the cigarette lighter to a US spec one, but this prevents the use of the tire inflator. I have also seen hardwiring solutions, but I may or may not be comfortable doing some of the steps to do that. I suppose there could be a first time for everything, but I'm still pretty cautious with my new baby.

I'm curious as to what you guys and gals are using as a solution. Ideally I would love to have two available outlets for my Passport and GPS/Phone charger. Thanks!
A simple (though inelegant) solution is just to use a splitter, available at walmart, amazon, etc...

Plugs into the existing socket and provides 2 or 3 standard 12v sockets, some provide 5v via USB as well.

That's what I used last time I took a road trip, with some carefully placed electrical tape used as a spacer so it fits tight.

As for a more permanent solution, my c4 has a blank spot immediately to the left of the existing lighter, which I'm sure could be replaced with another 12v socket without much difficulty...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a useful thread from the 993 subforum -

Rennlist forums - Adding a 12v Accessory Outlet
Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing an old thread back from the dead!

I just installed this USB adapter into my dash. I know some are not into cutting or drilling into the dash, but it is a very clean install and it works great for me and I was tired of the lighter adapter which is not in an ideal spot. My phone cradle is attached to the windshield right above this location, so just a short USB cord is needed. I actually use one of those retractable USB cords where the length is adjustable so excess cord is never dangling.
I was originally going to mount this under the dash on a bracket along with the volt meter, but went this route instead. Power is fed from behind the radio from a switched source, off when the key is out.
My radar detector is hardwired, my ipod is powered by the radio rear usb connection, so there are no other power concerns. If need be, a passenger can still use the cigarette lighter adapter.

Amazon.com: Waterproof Dual USB 2.1A Charger Adapter and Voltmeter LED Panel 12V-24V for Motorcycle Car Boat Marine Carvan: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Waterproof Dual USB 2.1A Charger Adapter and Voltmeter LED Panel 12V-24V for Motorcycle Car Boat Marine Carvan: Cell Phones & Accessories

ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Last edited by Derek911; 04-24-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I just use a twin USB outlet in the stock cigarette lighter to power 2 devices. Works well and very ease to install/ just plug in.

Quick Reply: 12v Power Options