Sponsored by:

1990 - 1991 C2 Rear Brake Pad Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts
Default 1990 - 1991 C2 Rear Brake Pad Change

Here is a quick summary of the steps to remove the rear brake pads on a 1990 to 1991 C2 (single piston rear brakes).

1)remove the two pin retention clips
2)with a small punch hammer out the two retention pins
- once started you can grab on the back side with a pair of pliers to extract
3)spring retention clip will be free
4)use a screwdriver to try and pray back the pads a bit from the rotor.
5)use a thin scraper tool (I filed a knife edge on the front of mine) to release the mushroom backing plate form the back of the pads)
6)the pad should be loose now that it is free of the mushroom backing plate. The pad should be able to be pulled out, if not you may need to pry them back a bit away from the rotor. They should slide right out. Pop off the old brake pad wear sensor.
7)procedure is same for other side.
8)Use a brake pad spreader tool (as shown in picture below) to push back both pistons all the way back into the caliper. Some people use a large screwdriver to do this but you have to be very careful not to damage the pistons this way. I re-used the mushroom plates on my car.

Brake pad spreader tool: http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?action=PROD&PROD=MK-BRK-J22&CTMP=1

9)new brake pads should slide back in easily, just prior to final insertion of the pad clip in the new brake pad wear sensor. Repeat for the other side.
- I didn't take pictures of it is obvious from the old sensor where to plug this to the pad and where it connects to the car. On the car side you have to open up the black plastic cylinder that holds the car side white plastic connection block to unplug the sensor.

10)re-install brake pad retention spring, and slide in retention pins, and retention pin clips. If you clean all the parts after removal everything slides back in easily.

Note: measure the rotor thickness and make sure you are not below the minimum wear limit. I used the Bentley technical specs book for this reference info.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
PMGrambo (04-10-2023)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ricardo,

Thank You for posting this.....It will be helpful this weekend.....Will let you know how it goes.....I was actually about to start it prior to your post but ran out of weekend....LoL...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
time666
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to point 6 and had a tough time getting the pad to lift out the calliper even until the last few mm it was tight when 85% of the pad was out. Not sure if mine was a one off, even used a plastic mallet to persuade the new ones back in too!
I think i need to re-visit this one soon, only did one side, until i can take them back out again having now got a cheapo pad removal tool from ebay and do both sides. Must have taken me over an hour of prying ends back and forward and levering using different pliers and levers, only creaking and moving fraction of mm at a time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechanics-...item3cc2ef79b7

Calliper was clean so may just file off a bit of the pad edge to assist. My experience seemed to be a right pain and unusually difficult for what should be a simple task! Just to share my experience when i did mine.

Great write up, very helpful.

Quick Reply: 1990 - 1991 C2 Rear Brake Pad Change