Clunking on rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking on rear wheel?

I've a 1990 C4 964 UK model.
The problem ive started to encounter is a couple of minutes as I drive off a cluncking noise appears from the drivers side rear wheel. the noise is in sequence with its rotation and is there whether the engine is on or off. It's more prominent when rolling and disappears over 40mph. occasionally it disappears for a few seconds and then returns. If i slow the car right down to almost stand still it becomes more like a metal wire twanging sound.

Ive got the wheel off but cant see anything wrong, Theres no play in the bearings and there dosent seem to be any in the Axel either (although I think if it was either of these two problems it would getter louder the quicker I went not quieter).

Thing to note is the handbrake dosent seem that effective.

I'm a novice so any ideas on what I should do next or should I go to a garage?
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I would pull off the brake disk and inspect the parking brake shoes and mechanism.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I would pull off the brake disk and inspect the parking brake shoes and mechanism.
+1 parking brake is a good bet, worth getting sorted as if the shoes collapse completely they can jam in the disc and lock the wheel up.

If you are a novice mechanic, this maybe one to leave to a garage. It's a fairly quick and simple job but if you mess up it will be a pain for you - albeit a useful learning experience that all us DIY mechanics have been through at some point
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
kosh
Advanced

ive got the disc off, all looks well in the hub.
The handbrake lever is operating the shoes - but im not sure what the 'normal' operation would be.

Here's the pics - is everything ok?
http://www.propackshot.co.uk/car
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Aha, well done, yeah the shoes look in the right position, though the adjuster (the half moon bit under the centre console) is a bit off centre so you may find one wheel is being braked and the other not so much when you pull the handbrake.

Other possibilities would be wheel bearings or CV joints, but the metal twang is odd.

You wouldn't necessarily feel play in the bearing, it may be that the bearing isn't terrible worn per se, but one of the ***** may have picked up on the bearing surface causing a pit.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I agree, your parking brake looks ok. If you reinstall the brake disk and rotate the disk by hand, do you hear any noises in the brake, CV or wheel bearings?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM
kosh
Advanced

Thanks Guys,
I think its the brakes - not quite sure why tho at the mo!....

I Checked everything through - put the disc back on an then adjusted the adjuster all the way open - Now on a video I saw this is supposed to stop the disc rotating then you turn it back 4 clicks to loosen it off.
On mine although the adjuster was all the way open it still rotated?? so I left it as the handbrake lever felt better - Now I've got this horrendous skimming noise when the car's rolling. Also now to boot, I've placed the pads back into the callipers on the opposite sides to what they were and the'yre grunching like hell now when I brake!!! what a day I'm having!!
Now I'm about to take the wheel off and turn that adjuster off a few clicks and see how that gets on.

Only bonus so far is that dreadful clunking & twanging noise has gone -hence why i think its just the brake set up.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Yeah it may still be the hand brake if it was set really loose.

You should be able to use the adjuster to get the wheel to lock, then back it off a few clicks, then adjust at the handbrake "half-moon" end so both sides engage at the same time after a 2-3 of clicks up on the hand brake. Bear in mind the adjuster works in opposite directions on each side of the car.

Ideally you need to put the pads back on the same sides, esp if they are worn.

Also brush off the rust and what have you than get a can of brake cleaner and give everything a good dousing, that should help everything move around.

It's not uncommon to have the handbrake drag a fraction and "hiss" after its been adjusted.

Great news the twanging is gone
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM
kosh
Advanced

Yeah, that wat a touch nerving!
Thanks for your advice - fingers crossed
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

I wasted money and replaced the shock. No change. I suspect it is in the seat belt locking mechanism which locks with hard deceleration. Have not figured out how to remove the cover without damaging the leather cover.

Quick Reply: Clunking on rear wheel?