Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964-upgrades opinion - sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013 | 01:26 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Default 964-upgrades opinion - sugestions

Hi guys, I'm thinking of finally closing the deal on a 92 Targa.

I have an idea on some "usual" upgrades, but I would like some help from you experts and experienced owners.

The car will be used in B roads, so no track or races, just spirited driving.

1- changing suspensions, for what I see Eibach and HR are the choice, can you guys indicate me the references? How many cm will the car drop?

2-strut hr bar in the front- will this improve handling? I mean in a noteaceble way?

3- back HR sway bar, same here, will it really improve handling in a noteaceble way?

4- spacers, good idea? Back and front? How many mm? The car is on stock 17 rims.

5-the car is red, despiste not beeing a "bad" color, i'm thinking of painting it black....good idea? Or just stick with the red color and enjoy? The car has to be painted, I just have to choose the color.

6- brake upgrade? For which diameter? Only front, only back or front and back?

7- read somewhere that taking the under tray protection will prevent oil deposit and in consequence, avoid fires.

8- any more advises on upgrades for better handling? Flywheel, clutch...etc.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2013 | 02:10 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
For road driving I think Bilstein HDs and H&R greens are the way to go. For repaint I would stick to original colour unless you intend on keeping for ever.. A colour change will devalue it somewhat. Not sure the brace would have much impact on the road.. Good luck with it!
Old 04-14-2013 | 02:38 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

If driving on the street you won't need a brake upgrade. I'd lower it and maybe upgrade to 18" wheels. That'll give you the most bang for buck.

Strut bar - you might notice a difference, might not.

I've never heard of a fire due to under tray...

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2013 | 02:39 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Yes definitely go with Bilstein HD and H&R green (sport) springs lowers the car nicely. As far as brakes, for street use, you have plenty of brake with the stock set up and many choices of pads. H&R anti roll bars is a great upgrade, but again maybe not necessary for street legal speeds. I wouldn't repaint it unless you do a complete strip down to bare chassis and that will cost you as most as the car. Spacers are for looks only and may need longer studs depending of spacer thickness.

P.S And yes, get rid of the under tray, keeps the engine cooler.

Old 04-14-2013 | 02:40 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Depends on your budget.
Its all about money, if its unlimited big reds and kw,s.
As for paint, id leave it red.
Or go for a different red, mettalic red mayb?
Old 04-15-2013 | 06:54 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Thanks for the advises guys!

Color change is now my main doubt. Basically the car will be "forever" but you Never know....
Old 04-15-2013 | 09:41 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Did #1 and loved it ..

Don't paint it.
Red is the fastest color but I may be biased .

But if you want a change I would have it wrapped .. you can always change it back to Red ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-wrap-diy.html

Last edited by John Rygg; 04-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2013 | 09:49 PM
azander
Racer

I chose the KW V3's for my street car. I absolutely love the setup. V1's might also be a good choice for a nice happy medium of sporty and comfort.

Don't do the color change. Maybe a complete rebuild, something unique, but not a partial job IMO.
Old 04-15-2013 | 10:06 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Get rid of the stock steering wheel, it wont make the car any faster and really wont make it handle any better but it sure will make it look better, even my wife (a deadicated porsche lover) hated the stock wheel, I upgraded to three spoke and am quite happy with that one..dis the change to the later four spoke which was better than the original but still was not what I wanted, the old ones now decorate my garage wall
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:59 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

If you can afford it; RS clutch/flywheel makes the engine spin easier - the throttle response just seems better. RS engine mounts made a difference I found - gear changes became a lot smoother (that and Swepco 201). The dampers and springs previously mentioned. A live remap can only help (for the sake of a few hundred $'s maybe). Maybe anything else is that exponential cost/output curve me thinks...
Old 04-16-2013 | 07:06 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Thanks for the input and sugestions!

John Rygg- lol, i see that red is the fastest color, An imparcial opinion!

Azander- Arent kws more expensive?

Silver targa - the wheel is a dilema for me...i love 3 spoke old sport wheels, but the airbag is something i think i would like to have in a possible acident (knock on wood...)

LM964 - thanks for the info, any ideais of the costa of those changes?

Thanks guys
Old 04-17-2013 | 05:34 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

PMC, I would enjoy the car for a few weeks 'as you get it' and get a feel for what things you think you'd like to change. Everyone has their own 'upgrades' beyond the usual.

For the driving you are thinking about, then the brakes you have should be just fine - it's a Porsche! If you play around with calipers/discs etc it will certainly affect the whole car's braking balance, so all corners will need a going over. IMHO - leave it. You can get some views on a cheaper improvement of a pad change for fast road use - Pagid's/whatever etc. But not track use pads (you'll never get the performance out of them).

Don't need to go mad on damper/spring changes (again, you're not tracking it all the time). However, this area will significantly change the feel and confidence you'll get in return (especially on those B roads!). Factor in the cost at the same time for new top mounts, roll bar and arm bushes (SuperPro or Powerflex). You may only get negligible difference if changing the anti-roll bar (you'll certainly affect any under/oversteer characteristics). You don't *really* need to change these. The geo setup with new dampers/coils for your driving/handling preferences will be the single biggest handling improvement you can make and worth every penny me thinks. With labour my total cost came to £3k (Centre Gravity). That's new B6's, H&R Greens, top mounts, Super Pro bush kit, total geo change to fast road use. Perfect.

RS clutch/flywheel not sure, maybe around £2.5k these days (fitted). That's an engine out job and for sure you'll get told about "well, while it's out..." so, tinware, do the engine mounts (RS - £240 +VAT), sound deadening (it's cheap)...

Maybe free up the exhaust a bit (dump weight!); cat bypass, a G pipe (replaces secondary muffler) or cup pipe (replaces primary muffler). Some of this may be done already.

Apologies for the droll... take your time, think about your budget, ask around, use any club discounts, seek indie garage recommendations etc.. It's a life-long project Where are you located BTW?

Marcus
Old 04-17-2013 | 06:20 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

LM 964, thanks for the advises, I Believe you are 100% right. The idea is to do things and to have a several years project to develop with no hurries.
i have also a 997 but i really enjoy the 964, real 911 lines, with all the good from the old cars and some of the goodies of the most recent ones.

i'm located in Spain.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013 | 06:53 PM
azander
Racer

Yes, I think the KW's cost a bit more. The adjustable dampers are nice for figuring out what's ideal. Before tax, my V3's with monoball mounts and poly a-arm bushings, came to about 3.5K CAD installed... I think. About the cost to do an RS clutch job, I think. It was worth it for me, but that set up might be on the overdone side for most. Still using the stock sway bars. The suspension makes the car for me. Anyhow...

I second the g-pipe and steering wheel mods as well.
Old 04-17-2013 | 07:55 PM
time666
Racer

And lets not forget about changing the cassette tape holder for a tray or cup holder insert. One of my most useful mods..

Quick Reply: 964-upgrades opinion - sugestions