Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any here with good experience with the FVD MAF conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
tkris
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
With all due respect to your installer, but what is his scientific explanation that not all cars run well with this conversion whilst others do??

I feel the above statement is a load of bull. The fact that you have already uncovered 3 leaks in the install also isn't confidence inspiring

The way your engine behaves is dictated by the Motronic computer that is calling the shots. For instance at 2700RPM, at throttle position 2 , at lambda 0.97.....and AFM signal of 1.5V.....the Motronic tells the injectors how much milliseconds to open, and the ignition at which degree before top dead center to fire the sparks. When these 'shots' are right the engine pulls and behaves well, when wrong it behaves 'suboptimal'....

The 'problem' with a MAF conversion is that the signal given by the MAF is not a 1:1 carbon copy of the old AFM metering device. Accordingly, this requires either a different form of enterpretation of the signal received (mapping), or translation/emulation by a separate electronic device to read just like the old AFM used to.

The thing the above either works, or it doesn't. It is completely binary....

Here's a nice article on the subject: http://www.splitsec.com/technotes/AF...Conversion.pdf

I agree. I was not too impressed when he just told me to return to stock.

I have to admit i do not completely understand the workings of the Motronic. How does it know how much throttle is applied? there is no throttle position sensor. (except there is one on the TIP, but thats only for the gearbox as far as I know)

So my problem is most likely down to mapping and should be able to be cured by a rolling road remap?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel remapping would be an attempt at trying to cure a symptom, not the cause.

If all the FVD 'hardware' is installed and functioning correctly, the supplied 'software' (mapping) should give smooth running powerful engine behaviour. This is proven fact in 100's of applications.

Accordingly, I feel the issue either lies within the hardware (e.g. Faulty Maf) or an 'external' problem such as the ones described earlier.....

Quick Reply: Any here with good experience with the FVD MAF conversion kit?