Sponsored by:

hawk's Friday post-- long rant at my own stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hawk's Friday post-- long rant at my own stupidity

well, been msg'ing with the body shop on the progress of the car's repairs. They are done with body work, and the car is at the alignment shop. I'm going RS spec again, just like I did 5 yrs ago.

Let me share just a little story that happened to me during this process. I had thoughts, and posted about a front bumper option and got a few responses. Against the consensus, I decided to try a fiberglass option. Along with that, I thought why not add side skirts and give it some flair that I felt would still compliment the lines of the car. So- I went in head first. I also ordered the air ducts and clear corner kit, since I had to replace the corners anyway. Part of my thought process was the kit was cheaper than factory replacement parts, so I could also have some touch up done on the bonnet lid, and the headlight trim rings.

Parts got to the body shop, and they start to look at how this stuff goes on the car. I neglected to research that on my own before buying . The body shop found a video on how the vendor does it. THEY GRIND ALL THE PAINT OFF THE AFFECTED AREAS , then they fiberglass the kit to the side of the car and use screws into the factory metal to keep it in place, then remove screws and body fill the holes before painting the parts.

Yes---- the grind off the paint, and leave bare metal. Not a chance! Had I seen that before I bought, I'd have never bought. So I called the vendor, and told them no way in hell was the shop going to grind off paint. They suggested a VERY strong 2-sided adhesive that required heat to take off the car later.

Well, part of the problem solved, but the bigger issue is the parts fit like crap. There was a gap in the back by the fin area about an inch wide. Normally, as the video shows, they just fill the gaps with bondo and paint. The parts were also very rough even on the smooth parts. The shop said it would take lots of hours blocking to get a decent smooth finish. The side skirts and front bumper were both really bad--- bad enough that I could see and feel them and I'm not a body shop guy.

So- I called the company again. This time to discuss returning the parts. I would keep the air ducts and clear corners, but bumper and skirts had to go back. Sure-- just box them up, pay the freight back, and be charged my restocking fees. What are the fees? "well, the site says 30%, but we won't charge you all that." WTF????? 30%--- another detail I did not research before buying. And I had really expected this to be a nice product, so who needs to worry about restocking? I asked for a more specific number, so I knew what the heck I was dealing with. "well, somewhere between 15-18% restocking." fine- just get it done.

Now I had to wait for the factory parts. I also had to wait until today to find out what my restocking fee was. $133 restocking, $147 x2 for shipping to the shop, and then back. So I'm out $450'ish for this little endeavor.

Moral of the story--- research not only the parts, but how they are applied to the car, the vendor's purchase and return policies, and references from people outside the potential buyer on the experience, fit, and finish of the product.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that hawk... Lesson learned, and more imporantly - lesson shared! Thanks.

On my Friday, I am still struggling with whether or not I like PDK. Let me explain. I'm a Porsche nut. Favorite Matchbox Cars as a kid were the 911s followed by the 928s. "someday I will own them all" was what I used to tell my mom. Fast forward to high school. Got the bug, and saved and saved for an old 911. Finally bought a 79 SC Targe "beater" at age 19. Best car for the dollar that I have ever owned. The visceral feel, the heavy clutch, the sticking 2nd gear, and that classic Porsche engine sound and smell.... I was smitten. Now fast forward to today... I have 3 911s, and I love each of them like children. Each different, but each special. And yes, I want more children...

So I am driving a 991 PDK S coupe a few weeks back, and it just feels -well - wrong. It doesn't feel like a 911. I then drive a new Boxtser S stick and - gasp - it feels more like a 911 than a new 911. Ouch. What is happening here????

Add to the misery that one can only buy a new 991 GT3 with PDK... Say what? I thought Porsche figured it out in 1999 with the advent of the new 996 + the 996 GT3. The 996 had gone the way of the GT car (fine for the masses and sales), but still had SOME soul... But the GT3 was targeted to the old-school Porsche nuts that wanted visceral and raw. And Porsche stuck to that model for well over a decade until this year. The manual is THE ENTIRE POINT of the GT3. And now it is gone.

So back to PDK. Sure, it is FASTER. But hell - I can drive fast on my simulator from the seat of my comfy couch. But it is fun?

Last night I thouhgt about it. PDK was even in my dreams. This morning, I am still thinking about it. And there it is... I just don't like PDK.

Porsche let me down. I feel like my girlfriend just cheated on me. This sucks.

-B
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Hawk - Sorry your plan hasn't gone smoothly. But it sounds like you are on a good path now.

Blake - I can relate. Not sure if I would ever want a non-stick shift sports car. I don't mind it in my Volvo wagon but I don't have the same expectation as my 964's.

Been enjoying driving my 964 again. The weather has warmed enough that there is no threat of snow and the salt trucks that come soon after. I had discovered a bunch of little things that I meant to fix over the winter but didn't. I will try to tackle those once my engine build for my C2 is finished. I won't get much done tomorrow. I have a social obligation. A friend is turning 50 tomorrow and his wife has arranged a surprise party at a Irish pub. Should be a nice time. Sunday a friend is coming over with his 964. He has a squeal in one of his rear brakes. Hopefully, its something simple.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Porsche let me down. I feel like my girlfriend just cheated on me. This sucks.
-B
I learned this the hard way too. Porsche doesn't give two _ _ _ _ _ about enthusiasts. They care only about what lines their pockets. It's been that way for decades and is the point of running a company.

I tend to think the base cars with base tires and rims and manual transmissions are still the enthusiasts choice. It's simply more fun to pilot a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Rowing your own gears still has it's charm verses letting a computer do it, no matter how fast the computer can compute.

Geoff, good luck on the car. Am I gonna get tossed off the 964 board now that the 964 is gone?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

This is now the enthusiast's Porsche, IMO. Stay mostly away from the options list, manual transmission, and I think this is the closest in spirit to the older 911 models like ours. Well, like ours except for Jay, now.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by DarrylH
This is now the enthusiast's Porsche, IMO. Stay mostly away from the options list, manual transmission, and I think this is the closest in spirit to the older 911 models like ours. Well, like ours except for Jay, now.
+911

I agree, a base Cayman or a base Boxster with minimal options can be somewhat affordable to a mid level manager/worker-bee. I had a new 2008 Boxster. Base car, 17" skinny tires, only a few cheap options and it was a hoot to drive. Slow, but fun.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Jay, we'll let you troll around for a while before we strip you of the 964 status
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Jay H
Drifting

I should have been kicked out of here long ago for letting my 964 sit for years with no use...
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
hawk911
Race Car

there are consequences (and rewards) for your actions

Quick Reply: hawk's Friday post-- long rant at my own stupidity