Sponsored by:

Upgrading speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading speakers

Just pulled the rear speakers out and this is the state they were in which may explain the rubbish sound quality!

Has anyone else upgraded and what did you use - where thinking about these but unsure if the magnet will be too big?

http://bit.ly/14NUW68

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked n to this too. The 964 isn't really the best car for a sound system but I managed to fit in a set of alpine 9x6 in the rear.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
f3nr15
Racer

The sound quality will depend much more on the front speakers - the rear are just fill, and you can fade the sound to the front speakers if the rears are creating noise.

With aftermarket speakers its difficult to reuse the rear grills, so if you want to retain the stock grills then you could have the speakers repaired - the repair simply involves replacing the foam speaker surround.

Otherwise, check out these threads -

Rennlist - Replacing Rear Deck Speakers

911uk - ICE adventure ....
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

You're never going to get decent sound with speakers screwed into a floppy bit of card and no real enclosure.

Ditch the rear speakers and fit some decent speakers to the front making sure the front woofers are mounted to the door frame not the door card (there are holes already drilled there for you).
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I recently put in Alpine 4x6 rear speakers and am very happy with them !
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM
hamah
Pro

I, along with f3nr15 and sml, will agree that the rear speakers are unimportant and used for back channel fill only. It is far more important to have good quality front speakers. Don't spend any money on the rears and you might want to try unhooking them completely to see if you even miss them (assuming you have something half decent in the front doors)

oh...and make sure to mount those front speakers directly to the metal doors and not the crap factory install of using the cardboard door cards.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Haves1979
Instructor

Cheers for all advice! Thought I'd do the rears first as they sounded the worst. Was hoping to somehow retain factory grilles but not the end of the world if I have to use aftermarket. Will do fronts next and will probably put a decent set of components in. Previous owner had changed to a decent(ish) kenwood head unit in so that'll probably be last to be done.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've a small Clarion subwoofer fitting behind the passenger seat that really improves the sound quality too, if you wanted to go that route.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
You're never going to get decent sound with speakers screwed into a floppy bit of card and no real enclosure.

Ditch the rear speakers and fit some decent speakers to the front making sure the front woofers are mounted to the door frame not the door card (there are holes already drilled there for you).
I don't think this is true for all 964s. During my recent interior strip and refurb, I replaced the door membranes and did not find any holes pre-drilled around the speaker apertures. Mine's an MY90 so maybe the holes came later?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

I went many routes trying to get better sound in my 964 to no avail. I ended up installing 6X9 with spacers under them in the rear. It sounds fantastic now and everybody that gets in my car comments on the sound without me saying a word. I think the rear speakers are very inportant. The big down side is cutting your rear shelf.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I managed to upgrade to Alpine speakers and retain all the original grills by cutting out the stock speakers to make a kind of chassis to take the grills. For the rear just cut an oval shape out of the original speaker leaving just the plastic surround that the grill attaches too. It is a bit of a bodge but you wouldn't know from the outside. The fronts were easier and i think only required cutting for the tweeters.
Steve
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
PMMatthews
Track Day

I took the car to Audio Design in Kingston some years ago. They used Focal speakers in the front, and an Infinity speaker in the rear, which they chose because it could be used in conjunction with retaining the original grills.

The work was done in about 2007, but their number is +44 (0) 7850 125125 if you want to see if they can advise you on the units they used.

Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I don't think this is true for all 964s. During my recent interior strip and refurb, I replaced the door membranes and did not find any holes pre-drilled around the speaker apertures. Mine's an MY90 so maybe the holes came later?
Possibly true. My 91 had the holes drilled but I didn't use them. I carved speaker mounting rings out of MDF and siliconed them to the metal to compensate for the uneven surface. I then mounted the speaker to the ring using screws drilled through both the ring and door metal.

The key is the solid mount. Exactly how you do it will vary.

Last edited by hamah; 04-04-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I went many routes trying to get better sound in my 964 to no avail. I ended up installing 6X9 with spacers under them in the rear. It sounds fantastic now and everybody that gets in my car comments on the sound without me saying a word. I think the rear speakers are very inportant. The big down side is cutting your rear shelf.
Of course everyone has their own opinion on the importance to place on any component used to achieve the desired result. If you are happy with the sound that is really all that matters at the end of the day.

Having said that it is generally accepted that a quality mid/tweet arrangement with proper x-overs in the doors, a decent sub setup, a proper ability to power the drivers (no clipping), and a pre-amp stage with a higher output voltage is all that is really needed.

Use of rears is not needed for definition but some like the SQ provided by having a rear "fill" (myself included). My sound system is probably worth about $4K and I spent $60 on a pair of 4" round speakers in the rear just to get that "fill". Here are some shots of my setup. I don't have pics of the door speakers (I plan to add them when I'm able to get to it)

Anyone who thinks they can't get decent sound in a 964 needs to come for a ride with me...top down at highway speed
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM
carl964
Advanced

I documented my install here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...o-install.html

All JLAudio speakers and a tiny but powerful amp. Easy to fit and integrates with the car very well.

Quick Reply: Upgrading speakers