Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decided to go for these in the back shelf for starters.

Pioneer TS-A4613i 4 X 6 3-Way Coaxial Speaker 200w Custom Fit (No Grille):Amazon:Hi-fi & Speakers Pioneer TS-A4613i 4 X 6 3-Way Coaxial Speaker 200w Custom Fit (No Grille):Amazon:Hi-fi & Speakers

Instant improvement over the knackered originals, wanted to retain the original grilles to chopped the centre out of re original speakers. Next step is a set of components for the front and was poss thinking of one of these if it'll fit under one of the seats.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-wx210a.html
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to fit a small subwoofer under the seats and there is really not very much room. I ended up wedging a small active sub in the footwell behind the passenger seat and covering it with a floor mat. It really made a huge difference in the sound quailty with some decent bass that you'll never be able to achieve otherwise.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
I tried to fit a small subwoofer under the seats and there is really not very much room. I ended up wedging a small active sub in the footwell behind the passenger seat and covering it with a floor mat. It really made a huge difference in the sound quailty with some decent bass that you'll never be able to achieve otherwise.
Yep severely lacking bass at that moment. Not really wanting to lose footwell room so thought the under the seat option was best. When you say under the floor mat you mean on the floor or against the back? Not measured up but hoping I could find something to fit under the seat.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I looked I couldn't find anything to fit under the seats, but it was a few years ago so that may be different now.

I rarely have anyone in the back except for my young son, so legroom isn't too much of an issue for me. I usually have the passenger seat all the way back which keeps the sub from moving. I've then put one of the rear footwell carpets over the top of it to cover it. It's at an angle against the back, so not flat on the floor.

You can also easily unplug it if you need to use both rear seats.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got some higher end MB Quart 6.5 fronts and 4X6 MB rears, Nakamichi head unit and Rockford amp. With the crossovers set properly, the rears are really just fill. I had Nakamichi plate speakers in my 88 Targe and loved them. If you can find a set of old A/D/S, they are quite good. I've found a good set of fronts and a fairly powerful amp works well.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had subs in custom boxes behind seats using compact 8" Kicker subs. Very good bass. I made my own sealed boxes that allow my seat to go all the way back but still volume needed for speaker.

I planned to post thread of my process and construction. Haven't had a chance.
Attached Images       
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
hamah
Pro

Nice job on those boxes. I put these ones in from Audio Innovations and they really improve the sound. I can put the seats pretty much all the way back (I think maybe 1 click forward?). Mine don't come out but I'm ok with that as no one ever sits back there since my kids have gotten too large.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by hamah
Nice job on those boxes. I put these ones in from Audio Innovations and they really improve the sound. I can put the seats pretty much all the way back (I think maybe 1 click forward?). Mine don't come out but I'm ok with that as no one ever sits back there since my kids have gotten too large.
I like the way they blend in. Why don't they come out? Are they fastened?

I wonder how the sound difference is between facing out vs. facing the floor.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know where I can find factory speaker grills / covers ? NLA on all the sites and mine are busted up.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

If you look back a few posts, you can see what I used for grilles on the rear.
Audiobahn. Cheap on ebay (under $10 !) Any 4x6 should work with these.
As you can see in the closeup pic, the new grilles are slightly smaller than the originals.

Last edited by abarthguy; 04-12-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by RayB_911
I like the way they blend in. Why don't they come out? Are they fastened?

I wonder how the sound difference is between facing out vs. facing the floor.
They are screwed in. They could come out of course but just not as quickly. The main benefit of mounting this way is that it makes for a larger enclosure (an 8" sub probably needs about 1.5 sq ' of space) Subs are non-directional. In theory it won't matter if they face down or out but it would make having a properly sized enclosure somewhat challenging. I've even heard of people putting subs in the frunk.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I suppose there is limited insulation on the floor absorbing the sound before it resonates outward. I like how it sounds and feels that is for sure. Without them pretty shallow in the cab. I like all notes! Not just treble....

Nice thing about the Kicker CVR8 compacts they only require .4 cu.ft for sealed enclosures. I have two teenagers and every now and then have to pick one up. I grab one of these and move to other seat or put in frunk.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by RayB_911
I suppose there is limited insulation on the floor absorbing the sound before it resonates outward. I like how it sounds and feels that is for sure. Without them pretty shallow in the cab. I like all notes! Not just treble....

Nice thing about the Kicker CVR8 compacts they only require .4 cu.ft for sealed enclosures. I have two teenagers and every now and then have to pick one up. I grab one of these and move to other seat or put in frunk.
Yeah... cubic feet, not sq as I said

Well great job on those boxes and you can't beat the flexibility of being able to use the back seats in a pinch.

For sure a sub of some sort is highly desirable in the car. It really brings out the best of the sonic range of the other speakers. I'm not a boom box kind of guy so if anyone is thinking they don't want subs because they don't play that kind of music or at loud volumes .....
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Next step more or less complete - fitted a set of infinity components. just need to make some sort of disc as ive initially just fitted the tweeters in the original mounting. Quite impressed and seems to have sufficient bass for me so not sure a sub is required.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Haves1979
Next step more or less complete - fitted a set of infinity components. just need to make some sort of disc as ive initially just fitted the tweeters in the original mounting. Quite impressed and seems to have sufficient bass for me so not sure a sub is required.
you will never get great sound screwing a speaker into a floppy door card.

try screwing the speaker into the steel door frame and laying the floppy door card on top .. your sound will improve 500%.

Quick Reply: Upgrading speakers