964 Fan pulley assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 Fan pulley assembly

Hi Folks,

I may be being a little lazy here buttt..
Fan seems loose on the 964. Figure i need to replace parts or part of the hub/bearing pulley assembly etc.
Are the parts available as a kit or do i have to source every piece individually?
I saw this on another post..

Thks
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Besides the belts, you shouldn't have to replace any of the parts in that photo unless your fan bearing seized up and tore up those shims.

In addition to the fan hub bearing, make sure the alternator shaft bearings aren't shot.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of that stuff you'll reuse. New bolts are a good idea, new belts mandatory. Depending on mileage, you'll rarely have a better opportunity to have the alternator rebuilt (or diy).
Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fan seems loose?

There is a difference in the "fan being loose" and "the bearing" that separates the "fan" and "the belt assembly." Sometimes just looking at it makes it hard to diagnose. If the fan is loose, you probably have bad bearings in the alternator from my experience. If your pulley system seems loose, it could and probably is the bearing that separates the drive pulleys. The pulley for the fan runs at a different speed than the alternator. They are separated by a bearing that rides on the alternator shaft. If you have it disassembled it is easier to determine which is "broken."

There are several of us that eliminate the bearing by replacing it with the RS pulley kit. Several aftermarket suppliers sell them. If it is your alternator, there have been those who have had luck taking it to a local alternator rebuild shop. Others buy "off the shelf" with exchange. A rebuilder is often much much cheaper, but it depends on the quality of the rebuild shop and the quality of the work they do (do they completely disassemble, replace "both" bearings, install a new regulator ???..etc..) My experience has been good in the past with other generators and alternators rebuilt by local shops. I have read numerous posts here where "off the shelf" exchanges at the local store have not faired so well.

Our cars are (in my opinion) are highly sensitive to the charge level of the battery. I know when mine comes off the charger/maintainer, it starts immediately, and runs strong. Let it set for three or four days and it is harder to start and runs weakly for the first 30 minutes or so. I attribute that to the charge of the battery. A strong alternator is critical for our cars. Best of luck. The only problem that is the real barrier keeping this from being an easy job is getting that separation bearing off the alternator shaft. Make sure you have a good puller! Jack
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks v much.
Figured ordering all parts would be easier considering i wont know problem until i start pulling it to bits. With 3 other 964's wasnt too worried about overkill on the parts. This particular 964 just turned its 190k mile marker so i'll want to replace as much as sensible on this job. Alternator bearing advice noted.
thanks again.

Quick Reply: 964 Fan pulley assembly