Targa Front Seal issue. OEM vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 AM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Front Seal issue. OEM vs Porsche

Hi Gents,
I wonder if you can help. I'm replacing the front Targa seal but am having a problem. The seal goes on OK but the Targa top does not fit into place 100% - it forces the corner of the rubber seal down (where it meets the top of the windshield) which then affects the window seal. It's like there is too much rubber on the corner piece of the seal where the top of the quarter light/windshield/Targa front all join. I could adjust the window but obviously there is no adjustment front-back on the Targa top. I think it could be rectified by trimming the rubber so that the Targa Top drops in easier without forcing the rubber down so much.
I'm using an OEM part.
Has anyone else had the same issue with an OEM part (and fixed it) or had better luck with a genuine Porsche part.
Many thanks
Dave
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Dave , no experience but if you ever want a targa to compare with i also live in Newcastle!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Thanks Jonny,
I'll send you a PM.
Regards
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 224 Likes on 183 Posts

You say OEM, where did it come from and at what price, maybe it wasnt quite OEM
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
DaveMc
Intermediate

911PERVY - thanks for the reply. I bought it from www.Design911.co.uk. It's described as "OEM Brand" and was £89.00. An original Porsche part is £183.00. So I guess it comes down to what the term OEM means. I took it that "Original Equpment Manufacturer" meant it should be the same specification but maybe that's not right and it's the OEMs take on the original part. Maybe OEM parts are harder to get right for things like body parts as opposed to mechanical parts. The seal is very slightly different in a couple of places compared to the original but I don't know if the original part that I took off is a genuine Porsche part or an OEM itself.
I think I'm talking myself into buying the genuine Porsche part but was just wondering if others had come across the same problem. I guess it's wider question on how good OEM parts are.
Many thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Looking at D911 website they dont list the aftermarket one that is available for about £70 so the one you got should be as good as you can get non Genuine. (the aftermarket ones are made by Uro and come in a yellow/blue bag)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Ah! The part bag has 2 labels. One says 911 7995680/1 OEM and the other is a Uro Parts label which says 911 56509046.
So I guess it could be an after market part.
Thanks for your input.
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM
911PERVY
Banned

YES!! Im afraid you have been tucked up, URO is aftermarket and available here for £60

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D7006%26

Send the other back and demand a full refund
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Heck - lesson learned I think. I'm away for the rest of the week but will send it back next week.
Thanks for the tip about Uro. Hopefully the genuine part will fit better but it'll be a couple of weeks before I get the replacement and fit it. Much appreciate your help 911PERVY.
Cheers.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 AM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Just a quick update. I've now bought an OE Porsche part which fits better. Both the OE part and the Uropart seals do look very similar (maybe 95%). The main difference that I can see is the compound of the rubber of the OE part - it's softer and so compresses easier (better) when the Targa Top is fitted and when the door is shut. Maybe someone else might have better luck with the Uropart but I found that the OE part worked better.
The seller wouldn't take the OEM (or after-market) part back as I'd ordered it way back in September and didn't get round to fitting it until recently, plus it had been fitted/removed. I've still got the Uropart if anyone in the UK wants it. Maybe someone else might have better luck with it or want to give it a go.
Regards
Dave
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Glad its sorted, lesson learnt I guess!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:11 AM
rod635
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adhesive for seals

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences fitting your seals it answers a lot of questions

My question is what adhesive do you use, the guys in the states recommend 3M weatherstrip adhesive that I can’t find anywhere, it looks like silicone but is harder and more adhesive. Some recommend contact adhesive although I can’t imagine this creating a good leakproof seal between the seal and Body.

I’m removing my seal to change the Targa bar to bare metal and hope to reuse the old seal. The 3m product looks like it would fill any imperfections in my seal.

Also how do you know if you need new seals, I recently bought the car and it seems to leak as the carpets are wet. The seals don’t have any rips or tears.

R
Old 11-15-2020, 12:02 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rod635
Thanks everyone for posting your experiences fitting your seals it answers a lot of questions

My question is what adhesive do you use, the guys in the states recommend 3M weatherstrip adhesive that I can’t find anywhere, it looks like silicone but is harder and more adhesive. Some recommend contact adhesive although I can’t imagine this creating a good leakproof seal between the seal and Body.

I’m removing my seal to change the Targa bar to bare metal and hope to reuse the old seal. The 3m product looks like it would fill any imperfections in my seal.

Also how do you know if you need new seals, I recently bought the car and it seems to leak as the carpets are wet. The seals don’t have any rips or tears.

R
3M weatherstrip can be found on Amazon.

The main leaks I see are from incorrect joins between the front screen seal and door seal and then the Targa bar seal and the door seal. There is supposed to be a "pipe" in the Targa and screen seals that funnels water into the door seal interior channel. When I bought my car these were missing and when I had the paint done the seals were bodged badly with the result that in heavy rain I get lots of water ingress.

Last edited by ffc; 11-16-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:03 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 11-16-2020, 05:34 AM
rod635
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll check these out. The windscreen seal was replaced by PO about 4 years ago with a genuine one so that should be OK the rear does not have any rips etc, I wonder do they shrink over time?

Where the seals meet are they usually glued together with something like bicycle tube glue?

Quick Reply: Targa Front Seal issue. OEM vs Porsche