Sponsored by:

Advice on removing exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:09 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
Some folks replace the old steel nuts with copper ones but I refrained due to the softness of copper- probably works fine but I just will use copper grease.

Good luck!

Mike
They are actually NOT copper, but are copper coated and work very well. If you intend to keep your car for a while, I would go the extra mile and buy a set, they come in 12mm and 13mm socket size. And for gods sake, add never seize to those as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:44 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
Good job Mike. This is my next project as well, and I am collecting tips and advise. I fear the worst,...
I feared the worst as well. But I just figured, no pain, no gain.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've done well getting them all off without breaking any studs so hats off to you.

There is no way I would would attempt removal without proper heat ie oxy acetylene and you have to go very slow & carefully with them. Now, however comes the tricky part in getting them removed safely from the head. I took every precaution and still lost 4 with the heads removed from the car but they were more like rusty old nails than studs!

A few folks over here use these. Cheap & hopefully help prevent problems in future. Some also use spacers underneath so that there is less thread exposed to the elements and the nut is only holding onto as much as is required if that makes sense.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TYPE-2-...item1e6b348efa

Good luck Mike.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Alex.

I had the MAP torch at the ready. All of the studs look surprisingly good with no real rust except for the ends. I think that it helps my car was never driven is bad elements except for some rain. It was stored every winter.

I plan to double nut each stud at the base and go really slow. If I encounter the least bit resistance, I'll apply heat. 4 of the studs came out when removing the manifolds.

Last edited by BigMikeATL; 04-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice on removing exhaust manifolds