Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Betty - Back in Black

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint is finished - they're now putting it back together. Should have it back by tomorrow/ Thursday.

Gonna try and make the Goodwood meet if commitments don't pop up.

On a separate note - check out these wheels. Love the design and think they would stellar on 964s.

The only issues are the front fitment I believe the ET is too low. 8.5J ET45 fronts and 9.5J ET45 rears. Price is good though for a cheap road wheel.

Simliar in some ways to Victor Equipment wheels - which also are decent value.

EDIT:
I can't find the thread - but there was one about IIRC 996 track car that had a catastrophic failure with the Victor wheel where all spokes clean snapped on track. The gent was an instructor. May well be that these wheels are no good under track stresses.

Also the Design 500 wheels sold by Design 911 have a front offset of ET42 and fit fine with the right geo/ tyres as members have found here. Therefore I deduct that these front wheels at ET45 sold by EuroWheelsUSA would fit the 964.

Originally Posted by olly964T
Frank - I painted a set of wheels on the wifes shopping car in plastidip just to see what it would look like with black wheel. 2 years later its still on the rims.

Fantastic stuff.
Great - thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Looks like a better option for front end stone chip protection than current methods. Does anyone know what the colour choices are?
They have a range of colours, 'blaze' line (which are bright florescent colours) and 'enhancers'...

All the info is here...
http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index.cfm

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
They great great by the way, and I like the personal touch too. Putting your signature on the car you created.
Cheers,

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Just ran across this today, a bit pricey per can, but looks worth it. Care to try out and tell the rest of us?

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-def...WT.tsrc=banner
Hmmmm.... there was a thread about this on rennlist (think it was a 997) anyway the results were unfavourable.
Attached Images     

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 05-28-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that Plastidip is available in clear, looks like a good stone chip protector for trips such as Spa, Le Mans etc when we all suffer serious stone chips.
I've used armour fend or what ver it is, paid hundreds for it and still suffered, this could a really good alternative and can be easily removed once y ouvert done your trip.

If I use it, I'll report back.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3M now has a spray on "track day" protector http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Cheers but we just talked about this

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Just ran across this today, a bit pricey per can, but looks worth it.

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-def...WT.tsrc=banner
Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Hmmmm.... there was a thread about this on rennlist (think it was a 997) anyway the results were unfavourable.
Originally Posted by Sharker
3M now has a spray on "track day" protector http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Easy job!

So took out the clock gauge. Then you slowly pry up the ring, pop the needles off, out come the screw, replace face and reverse. No problems.

The Sparco quick release doesn't work in the sense that the horn button won't fit into the surround... may be I'd need a smaller horn button.... hmmm

Mark - Here are some pics that show the harness truss.
Attached Images    
Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice one Frank. How easy is it to pry off the ring bezel and then put it back on so it seals in place?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics frank!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:35 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Pics

Originally Posted by Zingari
Nice one Frank. How easy is it to pry off the ring bezel and then put it back on so it seals in place?
Easy. To seal back the bezel just roll it in a towel against a hard surface. Be sure to set an hour time when you put it back together so the minute and hour are in sync.

Originally Posted by fuch
Thanks for the pics frank!
Attached Images          
Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking fantastic!

The graffiti longhood is pretty cool too!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car's looking great Frank, I went for a second sneaky peeky when you weren't looking but was disappointed you haven't fitted your Sparco snap off adaptor yet.

Please can you stick some pics up when you do. Ta
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks great Frank, love it all

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
PurpleEnemy
Instructor

Thumbs up

This reply contains a subliminal message...

Great to see you again Frank and have a good bit of time driving together. BB is looking so cool it's untrue. You have created a masterpiece.

YOU NEED TO SELL ME THE WHEELS!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Agreed and second in the queue...BB drives, sounds and looks epic!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

She's disappeared up to PaintShield and they've left me with a diesel Golf courtesy car during her absence. They're gonna finish the job and cover the rest of the car. There's a very small tear in the film on the bonnet. They noticed it also and without having to mention it - they're gonna replace the bonnet film for free under warranty

Can't recommend them enough.

Originally Posted by alexjc4
The graffiti longhood is pretty cool too!
Yeah - it's awesome that one. Keeps changing all the time... it had GTA inspired artwork on the bonnet this time. Sounds good also!

Originally Posted by ALEX P
Car's looking great Frank, I went for a second sneaky peeky when you weren't looking but was disappointed you haven't fitted your Sparco snap off adaptor yet.
Please can you stick some pics up when you do. Ta
The Sparco adapter doesn't accept my horn push....

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Looks great Frank, love it all
Cheers mate,

Originally Posted by PurpleEnemy

Great to see you again Frank and have a good bit of time driving together. BB is looking so cool it's untrue. You have created a masterpiece.
You sound like me when I was drooling for a set. Hen's teeth - keep your ears pricked. They come up for sale on the Stance Works forum from time to time.

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
BB drives, sounds and looks epic!
Mate yours was looking so goooood at speed in my mirror. You make me love GuardsRed.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw BB at the weekend. It is very aspirational indeed. Many of the little touches that make this such an awesome machine I have wanted to include on mine. I never realised just how low it actually is and I really can't believe those BBS aren't hitting the arches in a major way. I think that the clearance was measured using feeler gauges. I had a good look whilst it was parked up on the track and without wanting to blow smoke was easiliy one of the most aggressive looking cars at Goodwood. Which is a good thing! Well done Frank it's a thing of real beauty in the metal. One day....One day. BTW did you pick up your Techart fogs second hand or did you bite the bullet with new ones? I want the ducts but also like the idea of keeping the fogs...living in the sticks where I do, I do get the early morning fod quite alot.

Quick Reply: Black Betty - Back in Black