level of expectation on the purchase of used 964 parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013 | 04:35 PM
darth_vader
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question level of expectation on the purchase of used 964 parts

Dear fellow Rennlisters,

i hope this is the right forum, if not MOD feel free to move.

I am currently working on replacing some parts on a grand prix white 964
- nothing major just the rear spoiler, the shark fin and some other misc to get the car back to perfect.

I was searching around online for who would have the majority of the parts i need in stock and came across a retailer that when i called him mentioned he also sells used parts. Never occurred to me to search for that specifically but i saw the potential of some $ and time saving if he had them in the color i needed.

10 mins later and a return call and it seemed that i got lucky and they had the rear spoiler and shark fin in grand prix white and also had some small stuff (shark fin and all other cover sills) in stock so i ordered everything from them.
I did question the condition of the parts on the phone and was told they are free of major scratches and stuff but they of course cannot guarantee a perfect color match - makes sense.

So i ordered everything and want to share with you what i received so you guys can give me a reality check and adjust my level of expectation on used Porsche parts since i never ordered any new parts.

964 512 017 00 rear spoiler with grill - $547.12
964 559 095 01 sill cover (driver side) - $119.60

below you will see pics and i hope you can just give your opinion if what i received was in line with what i paid. My biggest concern is the cracks in the "brackets" on the rear of the shark fin - the original parts were torn off so this was the only reason i replaced them in the first place. It took me about 30 mins to remove the two fasteneres that came with it since i was scared that i would end up tearing them all the way and then the entire mission would be futile. (also posting in the 964 section if and how you guys think i should "fix" them before mounting)

thanks in advance for your replies.

click on the link to get to the picasa album.

Old 03-26-2013 | 05:20 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are used parts

I dont think the damage on the shark fin clip is anything to be bothered about at all, the scratch on the tail, depends I guess

However both parts seem very expensive for used parts to me perfect or otherwise
Old 03-26-2013 | 05:51 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm blown away the trim around the rear spoiler is NOT cracked. All of them crack. Even the upper one in the same picture is cracked.

What car is the upper spoiler one off of?
Old 03-26-2013 | 06:12 PM
darth_vader
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the upper one is the one that was replaced by the lower one due to the cracks, which i thought were caused by the ET / third brake light failure.

now that you say they all crack i must assume that there might be another root cause to those cracks.

update on the shark fin, while i was super gluing the one tab i found this :

Last edited by darth_vader; 03-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2013 | 06:39 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

More in-depth reading and examples of how most people have cracked spoilers on their 964, myself included.

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=690266

Quick Reply: level of expectation on the purchase of used 964 parts