Sponsored by:

Wanted: "964 meets civilization" stories

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Wanted: "964 meets civilization" stories

Have any good stories about meeting people in your 964?

Face it, these cars are out of the ordinary. They look unique, the engine is in a different place...and they are getting old and didn't make many. So seeing a 964 out on the road is special, and they can definitely can draw unique reactions from other people. Some people love them, other hate them.

Please add your "964 meets civilization" story here:

True story, unfortunately a little humbling also...

So last night I had to make a quick "milk run" and after I packed up and started the car I got a quick call I had to answer. So the 964 is idling in the parking lot, sounding a little mean as the engine is cold. I finish my call and see this guy standing right next to the car saying, "sir, ...sir". I roll down the window and he asks... "is that a diesel?". I'm trying to think of a funny retort but can only shake my head and say no, I had just taken a direct hit. Then he says, and in a very nice honest way, "problem with your exhaust?". I let out a big smile and say, "it's just an old car. It's an air cooled engine...like a lawn mower. It makes 3 or 4 different sounds, depending on the RPM. Sounds awesome at the track!" He let out a big smile and say he bets it does. I left the parking lot with my brakes squealing like a pig...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to help, but the only folks I've met are a raft of track-stupid crazies, a few wonderful RL'ers, Weiner and Gamroth and that one tall blonde at the grocery store....
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the city - around town there are not many, it gets stares. Always surprised that actually people are tolerant of the noise when they turn to see it's an old 911.

What I do dislike is strangers coming over and the first thing they ask is " how much? ".
It's a shallow initial question that I find rude.

In the most part I find people give way... a friend owns a Cayman and he tells me traffic is never nice to him. I suppose older cars evoke enthusiasts as opposed to aspirational buyers in the most part.

What's been nice is a van driver leaning out his window and asking "what year is that one?", a ricer Saxo asking "Is that the last aircooled one?" at the traffic lights. A guy in the street asking for my email so we can talk 964s as he's looking to buy one. A teenager asking if it's a sixties one.

Otherwise never had any abuse what so ever - just interested people.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'd love to help...
What, no stories... are you still selling your car? Any neighbors show interest?
You can't end up selling a car without a good story along the way...

and that one tall blonde at the grocery store....
That's for OT.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
.... I left the parking lot with my brakes squealing like a pig...
Classic... most of my stories end like that too: "No, really, it only sounds like I need brakes. No, really..."
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Coming back from the British Grand Prix at Silverstone 2011 heading back towards the M1 on the A43 in hot late afternoon sun, the traffic on both carriageways (all heading east) was at a standstill, a bunch of lads hanging out of a hatchback put on a siren then shouted over "We want a car like your's!"

On the same evening further up the M1 a bunch of bikers were coming up fast in the rear view. When the first one past he turned and gave me the thumbs up, then one by one they all did the same. Made my day, respect from bikers!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The town I live in is not known for Porsches or any mechanics that work on them. So down here in Eastern North Carolina, I get lots and lots of comments and stares. Anything from the occasional thumbs up as previously stated to ( the young blonde at the grocers) with a big thank you for enriching her day because she got to see an older 911. The best one however, has been, the first inspection. Pulling into the garage that has done my tires and various suspension work on almost all my vehicles, usually fords, I needed an inspection. When the owner got in the car and cranked it, first words concerning the exhaust were, " does it always sound like that?". Yes.( I think he thought it would be a four banger).
After pulling it into the bay he popped the trunk. Was a bit strange to me but as I stood behind the car I figured...ok. Then as he looked for the engine, he looked at me with the WTH??? look and then back down into the trunk, back at me and at the empty trunk again. That was when I said...its back here. At that moment, no more checks were performed and no engine inspected. The 964 that actually did have an issue or two during the first inspection was passed with flying colors. Was the fastest I had ever seen the guy sign off on paperwork since I moved to Eastern NC in 1995.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the car up on jackstands one day, visible from the street with the front door open. Neigbour comes along and asks if I am installing a lift kit (common on pickup trucks here in Northern Alberta) as the wheels are dangling down.

Got compliments on my nice Camaro (Carrera, mis-read rear script).

Got asked if the exhaust size was stock as it appeared to be diesel sized.

Had someone ask what year - thought it was new and floored when they heard it was 20 years old.

Everyone asks how fast it goes, fastest I've been at the track ...of course......what's it cost?

Marc
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
What I do dislike is strangers coming over and the first thing they ask is " how much? ".
The obvious answer "more than you can afford".

I get thumbs up, or "nice car" all the time, but nothing really to note.

But my wife (beautiful short blonde) had some guy follow her into a parking lot which frightened her a little. He came over was drooling all over the car saying how much he loved 964's. She told him she only knew it was a Porsche 911 and he could call "her husband" if he wanted to know anything else.

She always says how unpractical my cars are but always gets attention when she drives them.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

When we had emissions compliance checks the guy doing it had not a clue where the motor was, I went to the "restricted area" to keep him from slamming the frunk lid closed and opened the engine bay for him, as he stood slack jawed trying to figure out where the lead for plug one was he finally gave up on the car and sent me out with an approval..

just read cobias1' post..I am certain that it wasnt the same guy!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We were on the way home from Calgary, spent the night in Jasper. Leaving first thing in the morning we stopped for gas and as I was filling the car, my wife went to grab a couple of coffees, There were 3 teenagers standing there looking at the car, the girl asks my wife " is that a rental car", my wife says "no", the girl asks, "is it yours" and my wife says "yes it is ours", the girl looks at the 2 other guys, then back at my wife and says "you lucky bitch". It was all done in a jovial tone that showed her admiration for the car, she then asked a few questions like, how much, how fast, and wouldn't believe the car was a 1991.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember smogging my C4 when I first bought it. The guys at the smog station looked at me like I was a clueless fool when I told them that the car was AWD. They looked at each other and laughed, saying they've never heard of an AWD Porsche 911.

They quickly figured it out once they got it on the rollers and the car wanted to lurch forward on the rollers, because the front wheels were starting to engage.

-Don
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get second looks all the time as I drive the C4 through the snowy passes in Oregon. I bypass the chain-up areas and guys with big diesel trucks tend to give me looks as I pass them in snow.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Invictus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a cat bypass and mine is a bit loud. When first bought it I pulled up outside the D.C. Inspection Station on Half Street I was mentally adding up all of the fixes that I would need to get the poor thing legal again, and wondered what on earth I have just done.

My fears were instantly allayed when the emissions technician approached my car with a beaming smile and shouted "that's my dream car." I replied that it was my dream car, too, and that is why I bought it.

I had the inspection sticker 5 minutes later.

Very good karma.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed a big change in the last year or so in how my C2 gets noticed.

I've been fortunate to have owned a number of vintage Porsches and a number of them were pretty high profile: '74 Lime Green Euro Carrera; '67 Bahama Yellow Rally Build with Cibies; '67 Crystal Blue Softie; '69 Tangerine S; etc. They tended to get a lot of attention. But I've always felt anonymous in my C2 - which I liked since I'm getting to be an old guy.

Now it seems every time I get gas some one comments or asks about the car. It appears that 964's are getting better looking with each passing year. The odd thing is that *I* really love the looks of the car now and a few years ago I thought of it as more utilitarian.

John

Quick Reply: Wanted: "964 meets civilization" stories