valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Default valve adjustment

Hello,

Are there any obvious signs that a valve adjustment is required? I have a 90, c2. Runs amazingly strong and is a pure joy. I have 95k on it and its new to me. Records don't indicate the last adjustment, so I'm interested to know when I should do this.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Every 15k miles. Your car is probably due.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Is there danger in not doing the adjustment? Is there a physical symptom that presents itself, indicating adjustment is needed?

I don't want to do unneeded maintenance and have a mechanic potentially do harm when it's unneeded.

Any thoughts are welcome?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Every 15k miles. Your car is probably due.
+1

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Is there danger in not doing the adjustment?
Probably not at this point. Since you recently got it; it probably sounded OK during a PPI.

Is there a physical symptom that presents itself, indicating adjustment is needed?
Loose, clanking valve noises. A mechanic can hear it right away. What I would be more concerned with is, tight valves. You can't hear that.

I don't want to do unneeded maintenance and have a mechanic potentially do harm when it's unneeded.
Don't take your car to anyone who you would think could harm your car. Period.
You've got to have a high level of confidence in your mech., or find another one. Too much can go wrong, and everyone hates the blame game.

I know it's much easier to feel like you are getting your "money's worth" if hear tons of noise and everything needs adjustment... I'd be happier if everything looks great during a big service.

My mechanic recently did my valves and said he only had to do a slight adjustment to two valves. Everything else looked great, and no tight valves (=;>). I was happy knowing that the engine was holding it's tune so well, as I had over 5+ track days and lots of spirited driving since my last adjustment.

Makes me feel good knowing my engine is ready for the next 15,000, high-reving miles!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is there a danger? Yes. If the valve clearance gets too small (tight) then the valve may not close fully and you run the risk of overheating (burning) the valve. My recommendation is to follow the maintenance interval of 15K miles.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would expect the chance of a mechanic doing harm via valve adjustment to be very low. Many rennlisters (myself included) have done the job themselves without issue.

With no history of when they were last done, I would plan to get them adjusted at next oil change and either do the procedure yourself or take it to a reputable shop to do the work.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by xeps
I would expect the chance of a mechanic doing harm via valve adjustment to be very low. .....
OK, but I would put "reputable" before "mechanic". There are terrible things that can go wrong from neglect or mis-adjustment.

Quick Reply: valve adjustment