Sponsored by:

GT3 Oil Pump? - Case is split

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
fizzledorf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Oil Pump? - Case is split

Has anyone upgraded to a GT3 oil pump when doing a rebuild / splitting the case?
What started out as an innocent reseal has turned into a full rebuild. (Heads with new titanium hardware, Crankshaft knife edged and balanced, Cams, case is split with new bolts, etc.)
Existing oil pump has 120,000 miles but works fine...
So the topic has come-up that upgrading to a GT3 oil pump might be beneficial for hard driving / track days, which my RSA will be doing a few of each year.
Thoughts?
At this point i'm thinking what's another $1500?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So, one could asky why knife edge the factory cranskshaft...but to answer your question, yes, I use the GT3 oil pumps in all performance engines we build. However, these are high RPM and racing engines. If you are rebuilding the engine for the street and factory RPM limit then as long as your stock oil pump is within factory service limits, use the stock one.

You will need to remove part of the case webbing to install the GT3 oil pump.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

When I did my rebuild many years ago, I did the GT-3 oil pump. Mainly because it was $400, instead of the $1200 for the 964 variety. So even with the case modifications by Jerry Woods enterprises it cost less than half the stock replacement.

I do notice that many other cars in our DE's run hot. But mine keeps very cool. But I also replaced the oil cooler in the front with a new one, so that might have helped as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
So, one could asky why knife edge the factory cranskshaft...but to answer your question, yes, I use the GT3 oil pumps in all performance engines we build. However, these are high RPM and racing engines. If you are rebuilding the engine for the street and factory RPM limit then as long as your stock oil pump is within factory service limits, use the stock one.

You will need to remove part of the case webbing to install the GT3 oil pump.
Truly excellent advice,...
Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a gt3 oil pump for sale if someone wants it. They retail for $1795 plus tax

Quick Reply: GT3 Oil Pump? - Case is split