Sponsored by:

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Cylinder

I am in the progress of changing my slave cylinder. The car is on jack stands. I have read numerous posts about this but I still have a few questions..
Sitting at an incredibly hard to reach spot, what shoud I remove before starting? The hot air hose obviously, anything else? What is the best sitting position to reach it, I understand you use both hands installing the new slave..
I will connect the hose to the slave first but do you connect the hose to the hard line before installing the slave or after?

And last, beeing a little tricky to bleed I have read about a solution where you connect an adapter and hose to the bleeder screw ao you can bleed it from underneath or wherever you route that hose. Does anyone have more information about this solution?

Morten
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Morten.

I removed mine lying on my back, head towards the front of the car and right arm on the socketry. The heater hose didn't actually get in the way too much.

Full of fluid, the reconditioned slave is going to be difficult to compress to get back on. However, if not connected to the hard line and with the bleed screw open, you only have to overcome the resistance of the internal spring: much more doable. The only thing that will foil this plan is if your old tube nut has corroded itself permanently on to the hard line, in which case you have no choice but to connect the hose first. Don't forget a small dab of rubber grease (as per the workshop manual) on the tip of the slave before you install.

Let us know how you get on. Ship the car to UK and I'll give you a hand!

Z
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Try this to make bleeding the slave quite a bit easier (no affiliation)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390530722945...84.m1439.l2649
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Read through these two threads and you should be all set.

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=197959

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=685689
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

Hi, thanks for all the advice. Have read and printed out both threads you are referring to Vandit. Was wrenching a bit today, drained the oil and did my first valve adjustment.. hard to adjust to the correct feel but I think I got all of them within the limits.. Took a look at the slave cylinder at the same time.. NOT looking forward to that! Rusty screws and the connection hard line/soft line is going to be an issue. Afraid I am going to strup the bolts on the slave and then I really got a mess
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine looked really bad but came apart surprisingly easily. A little heat has proved to be invaluable on stubborn connectors as have Britool flare nut wrenches.

Z
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

Okay so today I finally got to the task of changing the slave cylinder. Over the last few weeks I have sprayed all connections with some penetrating spray.. Since I was planning on changing both the slave and the soft line my strategy was to remove the slave first, then unscrew the soft line from the hard line. Well it didnt work out to good. The slave came out easy and man did that look abused!! I didnt have a chance in h*** to seperate the soft/hard line so I mounted the old slave again and gave the soft line attached at the slave a beeting. It finally came loose so removed the slave again and seperated it from the soft line. The line didnt look to bad so I decided to keep the old one since it didnt want to come loose anyways. Have any of you changed the whole clutch hydraulic line? Think I have to go that way eventually..
Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Cylinder