964 hunt

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 hunt

Hi guys,

Ive been bitten by the 964 bug!

Tomorrow I Will go and check a 964 targa. I've been thinking of buying a toy like this for a few years and I Believe a 964 Will be a model not to depreciate so much, so it would be a good "investment".... A toy with a future value.

I would like for you guys to Help me by refering possible areas I should look for when I go to see the car...known problems, etc

Its a generation 2 car

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the board and soon, the 964 family.

Search here for "PPI", and than have it (them) done before you buy.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the investment angle is better covered with a coupe, IMHO.
timeless.
roofline.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Thanks for your fast feedback!
i'm in Europe, its not usual for us to do PPI...just take it to a mechanic before we buy.

As i'm going tomorrow for a first look, i was just wondering for the first and usual things to look for.

As to the targa vs coupe, its just because the car Will substitute a 2 seater cabrio...but I already heard that the targa holds its value for being the last "real targa"!!! Is it true?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

check for corrosion under the window weatherstrips.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

The perceived value of the targa seems stronger in some countries than others.in Germany
They seem more popular than in the UK for example. Love mine , just be aware that the tops are expensive to restore or buy. Otherwise usual 964 things such as bubbling paint at base of windscreen etc.Search button is your friend.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a mechanic check it over make sure he knows 964s

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Also... it may be an investment if you do MAN MATHS but the 964 is not a cheap car to run. So whilst I completely encourage you to buy one of these wonderful cars, but what you save on depreciation will be more than offset by the cost of keeping the car running (if you do it properly)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

To me, collision history (minor fender benders excepted) is the biggest concern. Anything else can be replaced or repaired, and lets face it, everything in a 964 is past its warranty period. Frame damage is expensive to repair properly, and most body shops do only a cosmetic repair.

Drive the car. Drive several. See what they feel like on the exit ramp and when there is a bump in the road. A 964 should feel like it was milled from a single billet. The build quality is excellent, so 964s last a very long time except that fires, floods, and collisions destroy any car.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Thanks guys! Just saw the car, the owner has the car on a famous Porsche mechanic for a few repairs before selling it, a new "direction box"? And AC repair....
I' lol see the car again next week.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Also... it may be an investment if you do MAN MATHS but the 964 is not a cheap car to run. So whilst I completely encourage you to buy one of these wonderful cars, but what you save on depreciation will be more than offset by the cost of keeping the car running (if you do it properly)
Compared to my other newer vehicles (which are just mundane run-of-the-mill family cars), I've found normal 964 maintenance costs to be quite reasonable. Mainly because I do the routine work myself - oil changes, inspections, valve adjustments, belt replacement, brake jobs, etc.

Then again, my car is a manual C2 coupe, and was (very) mechanically sound before I bought it - recent top-end rebuild and new clutch, various oil lines and so on. I haven't had any weird issues or parts failures that I haven't been able to diagnose & fix by myself (with the help of the forum).

I do make sure I have a 'rainy day' fund available, just in case something goes south and I have to buy an expensive part, or have a 'real' mechanic dig into the car. The clutch is one 'major' thing that will definitely need replacement again down the road, but not for quite a few thousand (s)miles.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by stinkydog
Compared to my other newer vehicles (which are just mundane run-of-the-mill family cars), I've found normal 964 maintenance costs to be quite reasonable. Mainly because I do the routine work myself - oil changes, inspections, valve adjustments, belt replacement, brake jobs, etc.

Then again, my car is a manual C2 coupe, and was (very) mechanically sound before I bought it - recent top-end rebuild and new clutch, various oil lines and so on. I haven't had any weird issues or parts failures that I haven't been able to diagnose & fix by myself (with the help of the forum).

I do make sure I have a 'rainy day' fund available, just in case something goes south and I have to buy an expensive part, or have a 'real' mechanic dig into the car. The clutch is one 'major' thing that will definitely need replacement again down the road, but not for quite a few thousand (s)miles.

For what i keep seeing, Porsches maintenance prices are aligned or cheaper than other brands....of course that in cars like this, theres the risk of spending more that usual, but of the idea is to keep the car forever, Thats value whell spent....at least Thats what i keep Saying my wife.....
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you located and how large is your range circle?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
PMC4S
Advanced

Campoj2, located in Europe. Sorry, i dont understand what you mean by range circle...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are quite a few things to look for actuall.

I always start with making sure ALL the dash lights work and no bulbs are pulled. That can tell you a lot right there.

Clutch
ABS
PDAS
Dist Belt
Oil Leaks
Scan if possible that should tell you another volume of info
AC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 hunt